Does anyone else have problems going to restaurants?

[Re...]

So I’ve tried going out to eat in public places a couple of times and I find it extremely uncomfortable and I can’t wait to leave!  I’m trying to figure out what the reason is ... I found the background noise and chatter and music  very distressing and I wanted to plug my ears to shut it out.  I have some mild anxiety but I don’t think that it’s too bad (  mind you that I’ve been on Zoloft for two months so that could be masking it).  I do have some body tremors and  it seems to get worse when I’m out at a restaurant.  I’m trying to figure out what is so bothersome about it ...  is it the background noise or is it just anxiety?  Any thoughts?

Also my family wants me to fly home to stay with them while I recover  ...  however I’m really doubtful that I’m in any state to be getting on a plane.  That sounds like absolute torture to me. 

It’s just so strange because I normally go out to eat and can hop on a plane without a second thought!!

[00...]

I am 16 months off soon and I haven't go out and eat for over 2 years. First it was my tolerance w/d that stopped me. Later it was my taper and w/d after that. I really need to cut my hair but I am to sensitive to go outside. It is a trigger for me. I feel really odd in my body and head eveb if I just take a short walk outside. I can watch TV now and listen to music again but be around people and all that noise is to much input for my poor brain. My first step is get my hair cut. Next go to the supermarket with my husband.  :smitten:

And my biggest goal is to go to Thailand. Hope I can do that in march 2020. ;D

It is difficult for me as well.  All the ambient noise and lights are just too much. This is true of all public places I frequent (grocery store, target, etc.).  For quite some time I couldn’t go to these places at all, but now I can in small doses so I guess that is progress. 

Best wishes.

Maybe it is too much “stimulation.”  I’m going to try using sunglasses and earplugs to see if that helps  ...

I think it is most definitely too much stimulation.  I just started wearing earplugs yesterday at the grocery store.  Too early to tell if it really helped, but I’ll keep trying and gathering data.  As for the sunglasses indoors, I may find that a bit pretentious for my liking. 😬

I couldn’t eat out for at least a year. I had to get up and leave in the middle of dinner once. If someone invited me to dinner at their house I had to decline. I just left the house to go to the innumerable doctors appointments I had to check my withdrawal symptoms. I’m over all those anxiety symptoms, It was pretty bad for me and my husband. All this will pass.

I’m at the end of my taper.

Presently, constipation, acid reflux, weight loss and some tachycardia.

I couldn’t eat out for at least a year. I had to get up and leave in the middle of dinner once. If someone invited me to dinner at their house I had to decline. I just left the house to go to the innumerable doctors appointments I had to check my withdrawal symptoms. I’m over all those anxiety symptoms, It was pretty bad for me and my husband. All this will pass.

I’m at the end of my taper.

Presently, constipation, acid reflux, weight loss and some tachycardia.

I was definitely tempted to leave but managed to stick out  The meal at the restaurant ...  it’s been baffling to me and I’ve been trying to figure out why it’s so unpleasant!  I feel the most comfortable at home or driving in my car.  I can be outside as well ( but when I do this there aren’t too many people around).  It seems that it’s indoor places that have people and noises that are bothersome.  Now that I think about it, I also had a really hard time shopping at target the other day and even sitting through a church service on Sunday I was feeling very uncomfortable.

We won't go.  They use the cheapest stuff and the most toxic foods ...........not to mention the ppl in there with all kinds of diseases and sicknesses touching your foods.  No, we do not go any more. 

On a somewhat related note,  does anyone have any experience traveling on an airplane while in with drawl?  My family wants me to go home and stay with my parents while I recover ...  i’d like to do this to you but it’s a cross country flight which means five or six hours on the plane plus dealing with the crowds at the airport and getting through TSA.  The thought of this is absolutely terrifying to me!  Bad idea? Any thoughts?

If it's to get help, then I'd do it.  My problem is that I am on a liquid taper and I could not do that and travel on an airplane.  It would be extremely difficult.  How would I be able to do it and it's with MILK to boot!  If I were not on a liquid taper, and you are stabilized, you could do it.  But you know how you feel and what is most important to you.  You must make that decision.

I had to travel last summer to go to a hospital and my family who dropped me off at the airport asked for a wheelchair and the airport worker got me through security fast. I wouldn't be able to fly if I had to stand or wait in lines. My flight was 1.5 hours and was extremely difficult.

I had to travel last summer to go to a hospital and my family who dropped me off at the airport asked for a wheelchair and the airport worker got me through security fast. I wouldn't be able to fly if I had to stand or wait in lines. My flight was 1.5 hours and was extremely difficult.

Thanks for sharing. This flight would be cross country so I’m very apprehensive about it. Not sure I can do it at this point.

You can do it. Just put blinders on and go, one foot in front of the other. Hey tsk precheck.

To op- yes, restaurants are hard. Same with any crowded place with background noise, it’s just stimulation and fight or flight. I wear noise attenuating concert earplugs that help a good deal. I don’t even care if it’s placebo.

Yes, this happened to me. I also could only tolerate shopping for an hour or two and would have to go home. These problems lifted after about a year and I no longer experience them.

It took me a year before I could deal with the noise in a restaraunt. It would seem our CNS is very sensitive to outside stimuli. I stayed home for the first year. Even the first few months I didn't watch much TV but stayed in my bedroom mostly. I needed somewhere quiet to heal. It took me about 4 months before I could handle the grocery store. I went before that because a person needs food but I would only go once a week and very early to avoid people. I used to have anxiety during those trips but now I am fine. I haven't even thought about until now. So, it does get better.

It took me a year before I could deal with the noise in a restaraunt. It would seem our CNS is very sensitive to outside stimuli. I stayed home for the first year. Even the first few months I didn't watch much TV but stayed in my bedroom mostly. I needed somewhere quiet to heal. It took me about 4 months before I could handle the grocery store. I went before that because a person needs food but I would only go once a week and very early to avoid people. I used to have anxiety during those trips but now I am fine. I haven't even thought about until now. So, it does get better.

Glad to know that what I’m experiencing is normal!  Hope it gets better soon ...  it’s awful not to be able to enjoy a meal out or shopping etc.

During withdrawal I’ve taken several short flights, two hours, and it has been ok, and I’ve been flying out of one of the craziest and busiest airports in the United States. I always used to take half a Xanax before getting on a plane.

I had problems going into restaurants, starting BEFORE benzos.  Then, while on benzos, the problem got worse.  I actually could only go inside certain chain restaurants or diners, and the whole process was completely nervewracking.  As I realized my anxiety was being caused by chemical issues and not by things that were actually bad, this is one thing that I have been able to concur and it's very nice to be able to eat inside a restaurant now.

I remember a whole year at college where I could not eat inside the cafeteria for fear of choking.  I even tried taking stelazine, and anti-psychotic for that and nothing helped.  I think when my anxiety waned, the klonopin took over causing anxiety.  I still have to do a lot of positive self talk when I go into restaurants and am a bit superstitious about weird things while I am there. 

I had that early in my taper (which was too fast). I was very panicky but after eating it always waned. I can even go to concerts nowadays, and although in the beginning it's still a little nerve racking, the anxiety disappears later on.

I can absolutely relate to all that you have shared. I was on Xanax (Alprazolam) for approximately 1 month before I began tapering and eventually was free of the drug. Driving, flying, restaurants, movie theaters or simply going to visit relatives was extremely challenging. When I was about 6 months out, my wife and I took a trip by plane. It was very touchy, I had some mild panicky sensations almost continually throughout this trip. We had breakfast at a Waffle House not far from the hotel we were staying at. After ordering at the counter, my wife gets a phone call and leaves me there. Sitting next to me is a guy that starts talking to me about cross dressing. I went into an instant panic attack! I saw my wife outside and tried to get her attention but she didn't see me. I felt like running but I knew that I couldn't make a scene.

It's been over 4 years since my last dose of Xanax! At this stage I am feeling more myself and most of the time I do not have any issues with normal activities. I am very encouraged by the fact that I am feeling better as time goes by. My advice is to take baby steps when it comes to travel or public places. It seems that if you push yourself a little at a time you learn to deal with any discomfort you have at the time. In my case the discomfort eased as time went by but it was still there. Learn to be patient and ask others to be patient with you. A supportive family and friends are a must have!

I've avoided most social places for that reason but about 2 months ago (3 months post-withdrawal), made the mistake of attending a close friend's birthday at a restaurant with a group of people and I was terrified.  Although have stayed home a lot, 2 months later, I can see that It's improving but other symptoms like anxiety and intrusive thoughts have gotten worse.

This is a totally normal response from a brain already over-stimulated by BWD. I experienced it too. Going into ANY sort of store was horrible. I almost lost it in Walmart one day. The lights were too bright, the colors too intense, the noise too high...etc.

A brain healing from benzos and other psych drugs is highly sensitive. Restaurants are no different from say, a Walmart. You may have increased anxiety, and perhaps your appetite is a bit off normal. You feel compelled to stay, for social reasons. The smells may smell weird and what you see may not look quite right or normal. DUH! You want to escape.

This is all quite normal and don't let it get you down. In a while you will once again enjoy eating out.

east

i am so creeped out at most resuturants. i just cook at home!

i found its best if i sit against the wall or in the booth... preferably in a corner.

i also found wearing a beanie or a hat and a hoody and large coat help. i feel protected.

Yes, that’s exactly how my brain feels, over stimulated and overwhelmed by bwd and taking benzos to be able to put up with situations I should have run from. It’s very important to give your brain a break to recuperate. I only go to restaurants and places that do not affect my recuperation. I stay away from difficult family and friends. Best, may we have learned the lesson of taking care of ourselves first.