Help! I’m so scared

[St...]

I’m sleeping but it’s taking me 3 and 4 hours to fall asleep. I’m not functional when I get up. I’m having a really hard time pretending I’m ok and going on with life. The sleep feels like I woke up from anasthesia and I’m exhausted tired. I can’t work, I have no motivation and very depressed. I just don’t care about life anymore. All I want to do is cry. Will this really end? Why are so many people having insomnia that may not even be on Benzos? I just feel like I can’t handle this anymore. I just need to know it really does end.

I just sent you a PM.  It ends.  You just have to give it more time.

Please try to focus on all of the positive things in your life.  Every little thing you can be thankful for from having a roof over your head to food and a warm bed to sleep in.

It is really easy to accentuate the negative and ditch the positive.  Withdrawal is TEMPORARY no matter what you feel like right now.  It DOES end. 

It just takes longer than most would like and doesn't end when we would like it to end.

Even Ashton says Benzo withdrawal insomnia typically fades over 6-12 months for most.  Unfortunately some take longer! :tickedoff:

I repeatedly told my wife and family I couldn't handle withdrawal anymore.  But you can handle it day by day as you have been doing for almost 9 months now. 

It may still be UP and DOWN for some time yet?  No one knows how much more time it will take, but you could turn a corner soon?

Everything seems hopeless and futile now, but focus any any small gain you have made.  If you have made progress, it will continue, although sometimes it is one step forward and then 2 steps back.  But eventually it will even out and end.  Like a long boring, pointless movie, it will eventually come to end.  Promise!  :thumbsup:

I've noticed that there are two schools of thought regarding insomnia on here.

School one says accept it, sleep will return etc. etc.

The other school wants to do something about it.

I am in School Two. I have to get  up in the morning and work. I drive 150 miles a day. I can't do it on 2-3 hours sleep feeling like a zombie.

Benzos and benz w/d wrecked my sleep. I spent countless months "waiting" for sleep to return. Ha. Guess sleep didn't get my address. So I decided to take matters into my own hands.

Here are steps I would take (and have taken) to encourage my sleep if I were you.

1. youtube videos that include guided sleep meditations. Listen to them when you lie down to sleep. They give you something to focus your mind on instead of the panic that you can't fall asleep.

2. Melatonin. Helps some people.

3. Tryptophan. Helps more people.

4. Camomille tea. Helps even more people.

5. Indica marijuana. Helps those who try it.

Why don't you get yourself out to the pharmacy and pick up EITHER some melatonin (you only need a small dose) or some tryptophan and tonight take one with a cup of camomille tea? Of course I am not a doc, but these might help you.

Number 1, 3, and 4 are my sleep aids. They may not help everyone, but they did me.

I sleep very well now.

Hope this has helped you. I feel for you. I've been there.

:smitten:

Katz

I don't think there are only 2 schools of thought regarding sleep.  It is very much a "gray" area and not black and white.  Everybody wants to do something about their insomnia.  But what you do should depend on your history with insomnia.

If you had insomnia prior to Benzos or Insomnia was the reason you started taking Benzos (preexisting condition), then sleep probably will not return to where you would like it to be after you heal.  Benzos don't cure or fix any medical condition and are merely band aids that "mask" underlying issues.  If that's you, then you will probably need to deal with your insomnia and not wait for sleep to return?

What you do or what you decide to take is up to the individual person.  People have cured non-Benzo related insomnia by not caring if they slept or not.  Others got relief using CBT, sleep hygiene, sleep restriction, meditation, etc., along with natural supplements and OTC remedies.  There are others that use other Rx drugs to help with sleep during withdrawal such as Seroquel or Mirtazapine.  I am not in favor of more Rx drugs as they could have their own side effects and possible withdrawal, but that is up to you to decide.

No one is saying don't listen to guided meditation or relaxing music!

Melatonin doesn't work for everyone.  It did nothing for me.  Most people take way too much.  Your body produces mcg of melatonin a night not Mg amounts.  But if you and others get relief at whatever dosage you are taking, there is nothing wrong with that.

Tryptophan did nothing for me either.  But it could work for you...nothing wrong with giving it a try.

Indica marijuana worked paradoxically for me and is not legal in all states.  Again, a personal choice.  It also depends on if you get randomly drug tested at work.  I think a better solution might be to try CBD oil?

Chamomile tea works on Gaba...I would be careful with that?  If you are still in withdrawal, it could make things worse?

Its mechanism of action – the chemical components responsible for chamomile’s efficacy – include Apigenin. Apigenin provides for a calming or sedative affect as it binds to the benzodiazepine site on GABA receptors.

Apigenin is a benzodiazepine receptor agonist – a chemical compounds that slows down the body’s central nervous system. It is considered to be a minor tranquilizer, and potentiates the effects of GABA.

GABA or gamma-aminobutyric acid, is the most important and widespread inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain. Excitation in the brain must be balanced with inhibition. Too much excitation can lead to restlessness, irritability and insomnia. GABA is able to induce relaxation, analgesia, and sleep. Barbiturates and benzodiazepines are known to stimulate GABA receptors, and hence induce relaxation.

So, what that means is that the apigenin in chamomile provides a calming or sedative affect as it binds to the benzodiazepine site on GABA receptors. You may think of chamomile as one of Nature’s benzodiazepines.

People are at different points in their recovery so specific recommendations may or may not work?  In addition, some things may actually increase your symptoms and make your withdrawal more intense?