Valium and Prilosec

[jo...]

Hello everyone,

I am a fairly new member and still working my way around these forums.  I hope I am making my posts in the correct areas.

I am in the 2nd week of a Valium crossover from ativan and then start tapering from the Valium.  I was prescribed ativan several years ago for anxiety and panic and then like many others on this site, the snowball began with a continuous up-dose as the year went by. 

My question relates to Valium and Prilosec or PPIs.  I have taken Prilosec most of my life for daily heartburn.  I have read that Prilosec can effect the way the liver processes Valium and can be dangerous!  Does anyone have any insight or past experience with this possible interaction?  These tapers seem to be difficult enough on their own without having to worry about an over the counter heartburn medication, which only increases my anxiety.  All thoughts, experiences, and alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

JoJo

Thanks for the reply bluepm.  I hope others on this site have some insight on this topic.  I am know afraid to take the medications.  Anyone have any suggestions?

jojo, this is just a short quote from a PubMed article I read on the interaction of benzos and PPIs.

The drug interaction with the greatest clinical importance is the reduction in benzodiazepine clearance

If it were me, I wouldn't use PPIs while I was taking benzos. Ha. During my taper I developed an ulcer and was PRESCRIBED a PPI. I developed such awful dizziness and headaches that I had to be taken off the PPI. A drug called Carafate cleared my ulcer up nicely. As I see it, the bad reaction wasn't to the PPI itself, but the interaction of the PPI and valium. I was so dizzy I couldn't walk.

Oh, the things we learn.  :-[

You can good "PPIs and benzos" for more articles.

Hope this helps.

Katz

Thanks Katz.  I actually have heard of Carafate, but never have tried it.  Maybe between that and the aloe juice we maybe on to something good.  The stomach issues were not too bad today, but they seem to flare up at the most non-ideal times. Ha

Always grateful,

JoJo

From the product monograph:

"Coadministration with diazepam was also listed in the Warnings section because omeprazole significantly reduces diazepam clearance, although the relatively wide therapeutic window for diazepam makes it unlikely that this effect of omeprazole is clinically significant."

What dose of valium will you be on?

PPIs are bad for you, they deplete magnesium.  You could try a magnesium supplement and some say it improves the withdrawal symptoms but others say it made them feel worse.  Dr. Carolyn Dean, a supplement guru, says to start with small doses and slowly increase.  She recommends the ionic form.

Hi Hope and thanks for the reply.  After my crossover I will be taking approximately 15 mg-17.5mg of valium.  I am hoping that during the six week crossover I can also start tapering the ativan a bit.  I started at 1.75mg-2mg of ativan

I took omeprazole for a bit while I was on benzos, and it didn't do anything. I didn't have heartburn/GERD, though--just benzo belly.  I also switched to an anti-inflammatory diet, though, which I think helped a lot.

Thanks for the reply.  I only take 20mg of prilosec daily and have yet to notice any side effects.  I think I will wait and see what happens when I finish my c/o.  I have tried other things for gerd, but the prilosec seems to be the only thing that helps. I have had this issue many years before benzos and probably will after benzos.

prilosec seems to be the only thing that helps

jojo, just be aware that omeprazole inhibits valium's being cleared from the body. Whatever s/x you may be experiencing on valium, if you add Prilosec to the mix, chances are the s/x will be magnified. This happened to me.

I'm sorry that Prilosec is the only thing that's helpful. Stomach issues are no joke.  :'(

Just a thought.

Katz

Thanks Katz,

I think I may try Zantac twice a day and see if that helps.  I don't believe Zantac interferes with Valium. I definitely don't want to increase w/d symptoms by taking Prilosec.

• 3 weeks later...
If you were already on Prilosec and have been for a long time a reduction or removal of Prilosec would be like a cut in the benzo, right? I’ve thought about getting off Prilosec, but have wondered if that’s safe now.

I stopped the Prilosec a couple of weeks ago c/t and substituted with other options.  So far no s/x from not taking the Prilosec.

I now take Zantac, which is not a PPI, when needed and drink 4-8 oz of aloe juice a day.  Seems to be working for me.