Coffee

[Ma...]

I had stopped when I began withdrawal but Valium is kicking my but a bit It is tolerable on workdays since my job requires me to move around and that seems to help. But at home on weekends and trying to be productive in front of a computer, not social media mind you, I am borderline hopeless. Drinking a cup as I write this

How long have you been drinking coffee?

I often feel the same way because my bp pills cause such a "downer" effect that I want something to get me motivated to start the day. I just bought some decaf but have had regular coffee when I do have it. Been having more of it lately, which kind of scares me.

I know it's a very slippery slope because my nerves aren't healed yet, and I've had a terrible problem with anxiety. Coffee is always on my mind, though, and instead of being an alcoholic and looking in bars, I'm walking by cafes and wishing I could drink all the coffee I want. And there are many cafes where I live, so it's a constant battle. I used to love coffee. I still love it, but it's always been a double-edged sword in the benzo mess.  :tickedoff:

Hi, I still drank coffee during withdrawal, but changed my bean ratio to 50/50 caf/decaf.  Coffee helped my morning depression a lot.

Coffee actually has many major health benefits equal to those of green and black tea.  But about 100 years ago, a now obscure drink called Postum was very aggressively marketed against coffee, with ads that touted coffee as being an evil drug with all sorts of bad effects.  The effect has remained in our culture to this day, and its why many Americans still think of coffee as bad or unhealthy. 

::)

Well, I know it really messes up my systolic bp, but that's probably because I don't drink it regularly. I'm trying to desensitize my nerves. I just bought some decaf, but who knows if I'll drink it. I was a die-hard regular-roast coffee drinker before withdrawal, and I don't plan on giving it up for the rest of my life! It does have many benefits, which is good! Ironically, it's just my systolic that goes out of whack. My pulse rate can actually go DOWN when I drink coffee. And the diastolic has always been low.

I get high systolic bp from dark chocolate, too, in this benzo mess, but I don't plan on giving that up either!

Thanks for the info, Megan! I didn't know that about Postum. People are still trying to find bad things about coffee, but it's been around a long, long time. I'm glad there is such a thing as coffee.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi, I still drank coffee during withdrawal, but changed my bean ratio to 50/50 caf/decaf.  Coffee helped my morning depression a lot.

Coffee actually has many major health benefits equal to those of green and black tea.  But about 100 years ago, a now obscure drink called Postum was very aggressively marketed against coffee, with ads that touted coffee as being an evil drug with all sorts of bad effects.  The effect has remained in our culture to this day, and its why many Americans still think of coffee as bad or unhealthy. 

::)

This is why you absolutely can't take anything at face value.

Someone asked about smoking in another thread, and when I suggested looking into vaping to quit smoking she was concerned about something called "popcorn lung". A quick google search revealed that some vaping liquids contain a certain ingredient that has been associated with this condition, but there is no proof that vaping causes this.

I don't know who is promoting this fear mongering but I'm sure cigarette companies aren't too upset about any kind of negative press about vaping.

Who is really looking out for you? No one. It is up to you to do you own due diligence with just about everything.

Well, I believe I've reached my limit. Hate to see what would happen if I keep pushing this, though I'd love to drink coffee all the time. Dizzy, eyesight is wonky, higher anxiety. I know the signs now.

I had stopped when I began withdrawal but Valium is kicking my but a bit It is tolerable on workdays since my job requires me to move around and that seems to help. But at home on weekends and trying to be productive in front of a computer, not social media mind you, I am borderline hopeless. Drinking a cup as I write this

Was there meant to be a question somewhere here?

I've continued to drink coffee as per usual, makes no difference, can even have a cuppa right before bedtime and it doesn't hinder my sleep.  Tea, on the other hand, wakes me up several times for bathroom visits.

Thanks for the replies To clarify, pretty much  a lifelong coffee drinker but stopped about 7 months ago when I began to taper. The question was general on what results people have had with coffee, but was more explicitly aimed for those who have suffered with significant sedation with Valium I never experience this kind of sedation with Xanax. It certainly did revive me, but also seemed to at least somewhat aggravate the tingly skin. I have acid reflux as well and coffee is generally not advised Saturday morning is the only morning I don't work so maybe once a week. I have a pretty significant website project, so I need my brain to work a bit

Matt,

I asked my psychiatrist whether coffee would do anything during my taper, and she said it was fine in moderation.  I was also having trouble staying alert with Valium, so (like someone else above), I switched to half caff.  Don't overthink it; try a little bit and if it does

something, back off. 

I'll ALWAYS be dreaming about coffee. I'm not going to give up. I may have to go a few days or a week without it, but eventually I'll turn to it again! To get that alertness is very important to me.

I'm still drinking coffee during my taper. On workdays I have two cups at home and then another cup of that awful work coffee ("Seattle's Best"). On weekends I just have the two cups. It's Peet's coffee, but I make it kind of weak. I can't drink coffee like I did when I was younger. But it hasn't really affected my taper all that much.

[be...]
I cut back to decaf in December of 2017 from about 2 pots a day, easily. Since about a year ago I drink 1-2 cups a day with no problems. I love coffee- I love the flavor, so I drink sweet, creamy decaf throughout the day & into the evening. Mmm mmmm!

You're very fortunate!

My experiment with caffeinated coffee fell like a lead balloon. I'm turning to 99.9% decaf. My blood pressure just kept getting higher and higher. I'm still so sensitive to stimulants, and I was having 1-1/2 tsp. regular, the rest decaf.

[be...]
I wanted to drink a cup of caffeinated this afternoon because I was SO TIRED but I'm really OCD about sleeping and well, I pushed through it.

I drank 3-4 cups strong, black,  dark French Roast every day.  (Did before, and still do.)

IMO, the fewer variables you alter during your taper, the less disruption your body has to deal with.  If your coffee does not cause issues to begin with, it is not likely to cause issues during your taper.