Propranolol

[So...]

Doctor gave me a prescription for Propranolol, a beta-blocker. I searched the whole site and ready mostly that it helped people (a few said they did not like it but that was the minority).

Anyone try it? I am going to experiment with 10mg tomorrow (a low dose) - it helps calm the heart rate which would help during an anxiety attack.

Any feedback/experiences?

It ruined my life. I also started with 10mg daily (not even every day) and initially it worked very well. Heart was very calm and other symptoms had also eased. But quickly I started to need more and more of it and symptoms got much worse than before I started taking it. I had also new symptoms which I have never experienced before and I was basically psychotic. Now I'm basically bedridden, switched to other beta-blocker and trying to taper off of it but it's very difficult and I guess I'd need some more drugs to do it. But that's just my experience. Anyway, he's an article discouraging from taking other drugs while going through (and after) benzo withdrawal: http://w-bad.org/othermedications/

[ba...]

Well propranolol saved my life, i was tapered way too fast and had a HR of 176 and bp 220/136 for days, dr told me to "just tough it out", i had a stroke and the hospital said it was due to the too rapid taper which had severely overstimulated my sympathetic nervous system. No previous history of heart issues, bp normally 110/70. Anyway i was given 10 mg of propranolol on an as needed basis when my bp spiked during a wave, i took up to 30 mg at times with no side effects and no rebound high bp.

However, i'm not sure i would take it purely for anxiety, but it does block adrenaline which might help with the fast heart rate but it won't take away the mental sxs. I hardly take it anymore as my bp is pretty much ok now even during waves but my heart rate is always around 100 no matter what i'm doing. Cardiologist says it will calm down eventually, i don't notice it anyhow.

We are all different and what suits one person may not suit another, for me personally i won't take another medication again ever, only if it is needed to save my life.

Do they cause dry mouth?  I have tremor and vibrations and would like relief now and then.

But I have big probs with most meds cuz they dry me out to the point I have a sore throat all of the day  ;(   

Yes it caused me dry mouth and dry eyes.

As far as I now there are better meds to treat high HR / BP during withdrawals, such as Clonidine. These type of drugs are used when BP issues are coming directly from cns, like in our cases. So I'd rather look for something which acts on alpha andregenic receptors. But, I'm not sure if sympathetic nervous system can actually heal while being on beta or alpha blockers though. Anyway, beta-blockers have the worst side effects of all BP drugs and propranolol is worst of them all and it's highly lipophilic. Atenolol has been suggested above, it has low-lipophilicity so it should be better. I'm on Nebivolol currently and side effects are managable at low dose (1.25 daily), but again I don't know if sympathetic nervous system will heal while being on it.

Thanks Lotus - I took 20mg this morning to slow down my am racing heart from anxiety and it helped and I don't feel bad today so will only take it as needed but it has really helped, thankfully.

great!. You be fine I'm fairly certain. this is one of the safest drugs out there IMHO.

Thanks Lotus - I took 20mg this morning to slow down my am racing heart from anxiety and it helped and I don't feel bad today so will only take it as needed but it has really helped, thankfully.

Yes it caused me dry mouth and dry eyes.

As far as I now there are better meds to treat high HR / BP during withdrawals, such as Clonidine. These type of drugs are used when BP issues are coming directly from cns, like in our cases. So I'd rather look for something which acts on alpha andregenic receptors. But, I'm not sure if sympathetic nervous system can actually heal while being on beta or alpha blockers though. Anyway, beta-blockers have the worst side effects of all BP drugs and propranolol is worst of them all and it's highly lipophilic. Atenolol has been suggested above, it has low-lipophilicity so it should be better. I'm on Nebivolol currently and side effects are managable at low dose (1.25 daily), but again I don't know if sympathetic nervous system will heal while being on it.

Clonidine dried me out... what is lefet I can tolerate?  My mom had sjogren's... 

barbara - did you try Propranolol and have a bad reaction? everyone is different...it worked for me but that doesn't mean it will work for others. Talk to your doctor. I just want to make sure I don't take too much because it did provide relief this morning when I usually wake up with anxiety and a racing heart...got to use only when truly needed. This morning I tried it to see what the reaction would be but probably could have just rode out the morning anxiety and fast heart. I took a small dose (20mg) and that was enough.