Erythromycin during taper

[To...]

Hello Benzo Buddies

I'm looking for input about Erythromycin.

I have been prescribed Erythromycin after asking my doctor for a non-flouroquinolone. Now it sounds like this medication might be almost as bad. It is for a possible infection (epididymitis). I had been on doxycycline for 45 days and it did not take care of the problem. The doctor is not even sure it's an infection now and suspects varicocele. He suggested one more round of ABs using the Erythromycin, and if that doesn't fix the problem it's onto surgery for the varicocele. (I'm not excited about surgery either).The dose is HUGE at 500 mg every six hours. I have been reading that it acts on gaba receptors, worsens withdrawal symptoms, and has also caused hearing loss. I would feel kinda stupid telling my doctor I have reservations about this med too after requesting a non-flouro.

I've read some people's accounts of having tried it and most were negative. I would sure like to hear from some benzo buddies on their experience with it, they might be a little more up to date. I'm hesitant to be on any antibiotic for another two weeks, let alone this one. Any thoughts/ experiences are much appreciated.

[a6...]

I think you are between a rock and a hard place right now, it's true that Erythromycin affects gaba receptors and can cause a setback however 45 days is a long time to be on an AB with no improvement. I had a massive setback due to a penicillin which also acts on gaba receptors and i'm still suffering, but epidydimitis can be serious in that it can cause infertility (don't know how old you are). If your dr thinks it could be a variocele would this show up on an xray or ultrasound? IMO i would get a test to show whether it is a variocele or not and if it isn't then i would take the erythromycin, if it is a variocele then you have another issue to sort out eg possible surgery.

FWIW from my research Cephalexin has the weakest effect on gaba receptors o perhaps that might be an option?

Thanks Southern Star

My primary doc diagnosed the epididymitis (infection), and it seemed like the doxycycline I took for it almost made it go away, but not quite (really reduced the pain). I went to a urologist who did an ultrasound and confirmed a varicocele. He said there was no evidence of infection. When I talked to him about the infection that seemed to respond to doxy but not quite wipe it out, he gave me the "mind is a powerful thing" speech.  As in I believed the medication would help so it did. He seems skeptical of infection, but I wonder if it was just so weakened it did not show up in the ultrasound. I'm still not sure there was an infection or not, seemed like there was but the urologist has me questioning that. There is definitely a varicocele though.

Incidentally, the primary doctor only prescribed half the recommended dose for epididymitis (he admitted this was an accident) for the first 30 days, so part of me wonders if it just grew resistant to the AB. I'm quite conflicted about it.

[a6...]

Hi Tom

It is possible that the doxycycline is an inappropriate AB for your condition, as may be erythromycin.Have you had a swab taken?  Here in Australia Trimethoprim is most often used for epididymitis  and this has minimal effect on gaba receptors according to my research into ABs following my horror setback. Perhaps try this AB and if that is not successful you may need to consider surgery which can be done under local anaesthetic.

Hello Southern Star

Thank you so much for the information and for responding to me, you are clearly very knowledgeable in these matters. I was very excited to look into the Trimethoprim, it sounds very promising. I just had some genetic testing done and found that I have a genetic mutation at MTHFR A1298C and MTHFR C677T (compound heterozygous).

According to everything I can find online that means I cannot take Trimethoprim or Bactrim. Can you believe it! Sometimes it just seems like there is no solution for me. I like having knowledge of these things, but wish my doctors didn't seem so annoyed when I bring up the concerns. I do like the idea of having the surgery under localized anesthetic, one less problem to worry about. I just wish I could figure out the antibiotic part. Big thanks again for all your help, I truly appreciate it.

Tom

p.s.  Sorry to hear you've had such a rough time with your own taper and surgery. I hope things improve soon.

[a6...]

Hi Tom

I am a bit knowledgeable about this because my husband had a very similar issue, i couldn't believe it when i saw your post! He took a course of Cephalexin which diminished the pain for a short time only to have it come back. His ultrasound showed a variocele and he chose to have the surgery with local anaesthetic and no more ABs. That was about 3 years ago now and no more issues since.

What a bummer that you can't take the Trimethoprim, i've had a gene test done too as i have severe reactions to a lot of meds, i'm awaiting the results with great interest. I hope you finally come to a resolution on this, bwd is hard enough without other stuff.

Good luck with it all and your taper

Best wishes

SS x

Wow, I can't tell you how relieved I am to have found someone who has gone through the same thing. I also took an AB only to have the pain return after awhile. So interesting that your husband also had an ultrasound that found a varicocele. I'm glad that it worked out well for him. While I am not looking forward to surgery, I am feeling much more encouraged now. Am I understanding correctly that he did not require ABs after the surgery? If so that would be great. Thanks again for all your help : )

Tom

[a6...]

After the op his urologist offered ABs as a "precaution " but my hubby refused as he is very anti -meds. He rested up for 3 days as I recall and drank plenty of fluids, he was told not to lift anything for 2 weeks as well. He hasn't had any more problems thank goodness as I remember it was quite a stressful time due to the constant pain. However I think I may have one upped him with bwd!

Glad I could be of some help, take care

SS x