Crossing from Valium to Librium good or bad idea

[Ri...]

Hi guys and gals!

I have read somewhere on the forum about Librium half life which is supposed to be the longest of all benzos. I have been on 2.31 mg Valium total now and in a couple of months I need to make an appointment in order to renew my V script.

Is it good idea to discuss switching to Librium with my family doctor?

What form do you take Librium just pills or capsules?

Have you switched from V to L at let say 2 mg Valium and than finished off your tapering successfully?

I feel as low I go with the V drug I get more new nasty symptoms.

Any suggestions please.

Well, I have increased heart palpitations, mild chest pain, mild depression especially in the morning maybe less mental symptoms and more headaches recently.

I am functional at least until 5 p.m. than a lot of agitation starts, hot and cold flashes, tiredness etc

I take my evening dose (0.75 mg) after 9 p.m. trying to strech it.

I cannot rely on medical help here in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

I have to decide myself if I want to cross over to Librium to get some relief from these symptoms.

In other words I go to see my GP to pick up my Valium script twice a year and that's it.

My only source of information is this board and Internet stuff plus verifying my own symptoms with other folks here.

I assume you are taking a second dose of of 1.46, or something like that in the morning? Usually, from what I have heard the larger part of the dose is at night, but I believe that is generally to improve the chances of quality sleep. The other rationale is that you may suffer less daytime fatigue if your larger dose is at night. Finally many people are able to get by with one daily Valium dose when they get down to levels such as yours. Not saying you should do that by any means, but just trying to pass along what i have heard here If you feel your sleep is good then I suppose the dosing schedule is fine

From what i have seen, in my limited time here, people coming off Ativan may struggle the most, so it may be the case you are in for a somewhat rough ride regardless of Librium or Valium.

I did seriously consider crossing over to Librium myself. It seems like there were more people that had less symptoms when they crossed over to Librium from the main short acting benzo's that did those who switched to Valium. However splitting the pills sounded more difficult, and the larger quantity of the dosing concerned me about my GI symptoms were significant in my decision. But the final straw for me was my neurofeedback practitioner, who is a retired MD told me to go with Valium. Not that this means anything to you just trying to give you my backstory to maybe help you

Also I think have only seen one person who has switched from Valium to Librum, and while she is doing OK on Librium it did not seem to be dramatically better

• 3 weeks later...
A good person to ask would be gardener99, she used Librium.  I am no expert but I have always gotten the impression Librium is almost like a weaker form of Valium.  It was the first benzo.  Good luck!  Mary ☮️💜🙏☮️💜🙏