Need help with Klonopin titration

[Le...]

Hello,

I have been taking .5 of klonopin for 9 year (i'm 29) and my husband and I are talking about getting pregnant and I am trying to wean off the klonopin. I was cutting the .5 pill into quarter and I got down to 1 quarter and I had major panic/anxiety. I started 1/2010 cutting the .5 every 4 weeks I would cut a little.My P doc gave me neurontin to help with the withdrawals. I'm currently at a little under .25 and trying to get off. This drug is Evil! I also take 30mg of celexa. I just ordered all the tools I need to do the titration. I just a schedule for it. My husband and I want to start a family. Help

Lesley 

Hi Lesley,

Please take a moment to review the information we'll need to help you do this.

Start date: when you would like your titration to start.

Taper rate: if you are unsure, ask for the input of others. The majority of people probably titrate at a rate of about 10% of their dose every 7-14 days. If you are unsure of where to start, and unless you have good reason to think you need a particularly slow taper, 1% per day is probably a good starting point. The taper plan can be altered later if need be.

Cylinder details: I will need to know the size of the cylinder you are using (100ml is recommended). I will also need to know that size of the marked increments. Just make sure that there enough increments for the given cylinder to ensure that the pill can be divided into small fractions (100ml cylinder with 1ml increments is always fine; 100ml with 2-5 increments is probably fine; 50ml with 5ml increments is not very useful). If you are using very large dose pills (for your given benzo), such as 10mg Valium or 2mg Xanax, you will absolutely need lots of increments. This usually means a 100ml cylinder with 1ml increments.

Lesley,

Your taper will only require a very simple plan. The info you provided will be enough, and you can do this with just household kitchen items.

I'll post a plan for you this afternoon, as I have to run now.

Thank you! I had to take a short term disability from work becuase at first I didn't know it was the klonopin. I went to the er, ent, neuroligist, blood work. I was so neauous, dizzy, and I couldn't sleep. I really thought something was wrong, like i was having a stroke.

hi leslie,

you're doing great

good luck with your taper; i'm sure you will do well with it since you are well informed before you got into it too far.

i look forward to the day you come back here healed and telling us about your new little one. :)

take care,

truck

Hi Lesley,

You can crush and mix one of your quarters(0.125mg) in a measured amount of liquid, say 8 oz. Shake it well and remove 4 oz. Drink the rest. You can save the 2nd half for the next day. This will reduce your total daily dose by 0.0625mg. Do that for a week or two.

So,

Week one: Mix 1 quarter pill(0.125mg) in 8 oz of liquid. Remove 4 oz of mixture and drink the rest.(0.0625mg) Do this everyday for one week or so. This is a daily dose of 0.0625mg.

You can jump off here (From 0.625mg) or continue with another cut:

Week two: Mix 1 quarter pill(0.125mg) in 8 oz of liquid. Remove 6oz of mixture(0.094mg) and drink the rest. Do this for one week or so. This is a daily dose of 0.031mg.

Then stop.

If you want to slow down the rate, you can just stretch out each time frame (10 days; two weeks)

If you want to decrease the cuts,  you can drink just 2 oz(0.031mg) of the 8 oz mixture for a week. (then 4oz., then 6oz. then stop)

Keep a note book to keep track of your cuts.

Using in a jar to mix and shake and store your mixture is helpful.

Let us know if that sounds doable to you or if you need clarification. It can get a little confusing at first.