Best medications for those super sensitive to meds

[wa...]

All ADs have given me panic attacks when I started them so I obviously can’t handle that right now. Any meds that are more on the sedating side? Lexapro, Effexor and cymbalta have all given me severe panic attacks before I was even in benzo w/d.

• 2 weeks later...

For myself, the best med is no med.

I agree. If you are having bad reactions to meds, that is probably your nervous system telling you to leave it alone. Let it return to normal on its own. A medication is not going to help your nervous system get back to its regular state. The medication will just change your neurochemistry, giving your system yet another thing it needs to fix.

My goal is to take no medications. At the beginning of my taper a doctor prescribed Lexapro, the first pill made me so anxious, that I stopped it immediately. I’m I glad I did, I don’t want to change the Xanax for another pill, that I either have to take for life, or wean from it. I can’t face another taper. I’m very sensitive to medications, also alcohol is out of the picture for me, last night, Valentine’s Day, I went out to dinner with friends and I had one glass of prosseco, the tachycardia kept me up all night. Before all this, a couple of glasses of wine helped me with social anxiety, now I have to deal with it in a different way. I have to reinvent myself, old ways led me to Xanax.

Best to all.

All ADs have given me panic attacks when I started them so I obviously can’t handle that right now. Any meds that are more on the sedating side? Lexapro, Effexor and cymbalta have all given me severe panic attacks before I was even in benzo w/d.

I like the two replys on here For NO MEDS. That is what I'm going for. Like you, I'm sensitive. I have 3, 8 1/2 x11 pages typed with SSRIs, SNRIs, Tryciclics, a couple MAOIs that just had a bad side effects (even at lowest doses).

I'm pretty much a lost cause at this point for my shrink. He says "You might not be able to come off klonopin"...I'm proving him wrong.

With the taper plan from the Ashton Manual I'm getting off this crap. It might take a couple years, but I'm going to do it.

Best of luck to you!

Dear Fresh Start01,

This coming May is going to be two years that I started tapering from .75 Xanax a day. I’ve been through all the symptoms in the Ashton Manual, but I figure, that if I was on it for so many years, I might as well take my time tapering. I still have constipation, tachycardia, and weight loss. I’m having my thyroid checked because these symptoms could be thyroid related and I want to rule the thyroid issues out. I feel better knowing I’ve come this far, but I won’t lie to anyone, it has been really hard.

Take your time and stay strong.

I think everyone reacts to meds differently; I had a good experience with Zoloft, and found it to be mildly sedating.  Others, however, get revved up by ADs, especially when they first start.  In fact, when you first start any ADs, there is a period where you can experience paradoxical effects (usually goes away after a few weeks).

I know, that is what the doctor told me, but at that point on my taper from Xanax and right after my gabapentin experience, I couldn’t afford for my anxiety or depression to increase. I was barely keeping my head above water, several weeks of increased symptoms was not a viable option for me. As you said, we all react different to medications.

I’m glad Zoloft help you.

• 3 weeks later...

If your depression is really bad, and you really need something you can try a low dose of Trazodone or Mitazapine, but if youre having heart issues it may make them worse (did for me)

I would suggest getting a genesight test, or anyother genetic test that tests what drugs your body may react to the best. My was ridiculous, basically everything in the "do not use" category 

Yet still, here I am on Effexor, Gabapentin, Klonopin, Atarax and stuff for my heart  :-\

My psych just kinda yells at me now during our sessions, no reason I shouldnt be off K, no I cant do ashton method because "thats stupid" and that "I know you think you know everything because you read it on the internet"  :idiot:

I think SHE needs the meds  :laugh:

If your depression is really bad, and you really need something you can try a low dose of Trazodone or Mitazapine, but if youre having heart issues it may make them worse (did for me)

I would suggest getting a genesight test, or anyother genetic test that tests what drugs your body may react to the best. My was ridiculous, basically everything in the "do not use" category 

Yet still, here I am on Effexor, Gabapentin, Klonopin, Atarax and stuff for my heart  :-\

My psych just kinda yells at me now during our sessions, no reason I shouldnt be off K, no I cant do ashton method because "thats stupid" and that "I know you think you know everything because you read it on the internet"  :idiot:

Mine really messed me up. She loves benzos. She allowed me to quit meds too soon and allowed me to be my own psychiatrist. She also took me off effexor in 2 weeks using prozac. She put me on and off so many meds. The worst thing she did was put me on ativan . I read about Valium to get off. Of course she agreed. Big mistake. I didn’t know how much it would depress me. She also has pushed abilify and seroquel which I strongly resisted. Yes I read the internet too. I knew ativan was bad but I listened to her saying not to worry because it was not addictive at such a small dose. I knew. Now 18 days out the only thing I’m on in 6 mg of remeron.no antidepressants. I don’t know how I’m going to survive. Is the internet a bad thing?

Mine really messed me up. She loves benzos. She allowed me to quit meds too soon and allowed me to be my own psychiatrist. She also took me off effexor in 2 weeks using prozac. She put me on and off so many meds. The worst thing she did was put me on ativan . I read about Valium to get off. Of course she agreed. Big mistake. I didn’t know how much it would depress me. She also has pushed abilify and seroquel which I strongly resisted. Yes I read the internet too. I knew ativan was bad but I listened to her saying not to worry because it was not addictive at such a small dose. I knew. Now 18 days out the only thing I’m on in 6 mg of remeron.no antidepressants. I don’t know how I’m going to survive. Is the internet a bad thing?

That actually not uncommon, it's called 'bridging'

but yeah, these people only understand partially the diseases they're treating AND the meds theyre prescribing.

I also listened to mine that it was non addictive and coming off would be no problem, yet now she agrees I'm in tolerance (if its not addictive how can I be in tolerance?)

I wouldn't worry about the remeron, so long as it isnt causing any problems. For me it made my heart hurt, as did trazodone  :'(

I am also ultra-sensitive to ADs and majority of drugs.  I used to be able to take a benedryl now and then.........now they make me very sick and severely dry me out to the point where I become nauseated and sick.

Headaches?  I have to use Ice packs on my head, cannot take pain meds either.

Super sensitive to meds?  I'll echo others and say "no meds" at all.  That's my goal. 

In place of meds, I'm learning/using cognitive behavioral therapy, a healthy diet (cutting out sugars & processed carbs), no caffiene, no alcohol, improved sleep hygiene, meditation, exercise.

What are you guys replacing meds with?  Love to add to the list! 

xo,

sierra  :smitten:

I am on the Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting, it does help, but that alone doesn't stop the inner trembling.  As you know there is no sugar and/or flour or carbs on Keto, except for some complex carbs like spinach, broccoli but in small amounts.

CBT also and the breathing as well.  I listen to Scripture on the nights that I cannot get back to sleep.  Still not sleeping much, but last night I got 5 hours......first time in month.  Cannot take anything to sleep either.  Nothing works. 

Being thankful and grateful to the LORD daily and avoid all negatives, including movies, news, anything.  I watch only things that encourage me and keep me in a good mood, good things to think about ...gratitude really helps.  Thanking the Lord that HE will deliver me from this medication......stuff like that.

Sierra7

No medications is also my goal.

As of now, I’m only on my last cut before jumping, no other meds, except probiotics, prebiotics and psyllium for my stomach issues. I’m also focus on improving my diet and eliminating glutamate and nitrates from it. I drink no alcohol, but I do take a cup of espresso in the morning.

Also, trying to eliminate drama and stressful people.

Hopeforecovery,  I also don’t read or watch anything negative or violent, including the news. I just watch comedies and read positive books or health related articles.

I pray I can become a better and healthier person.

That’s my plan for the rest of my life.

Best to all.

Hope & Demelza those are some fantastic additions!

I especially love...

expressing thankfulness & gratitude

removing (or limiting time with) toxic people who just add stress

avoiding violence & negativity in the media

So good!  :highfive:

xo,

sierra  :smitten:

Amen Demelza and Sierra!!

I could not tolerate coffee though.......that would shoot me to the MOON I am so hyper lol.

Yes, we have to GUARD ourselves and protect ourselves from the darkness that seems to be invading our world ..as least till we are healed and that may take a while. 

Demelza, wishing you the very best with your soon JUMP!  Very happy and excited for you and cheering you all the way. :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: