Is attenuated tapering preferred? What about not using Valium to taper?

[St...]

Hi,

I began tapering from Clonazepam, 2.0 mg/day, using the tapering plan at:

http://benzo.alwaysdata.net/titration/titrationForm.php

The daily plan offers an attenuated taper or a non-attenuated taper. With the attenuated taper plan, it will take 1 year, 3 months to taper from Clonazepam. The non-attenuated taper plan  takes 9 months, 4 days.

Can anyone comment about whether or not the attenuated plan is the preferred method because it is slower? Or, is the 9 month, 4 day plan taper as effective and without significant withdrawal side effects?

Also, I don't plan to use the Ashton method that uses Valium to substitute Clonazepam doses. Has anyone had a successful taper from Clonazepam without using Valium?

Thanks!

The attenuated plan periodically adjusts  the absolute (in mgs) cut size, so the percentage cuts remain at or below some predetermined level.

But even if you choose the unattenuated schedule, you will probably need to adjust the absolute (milligrams) rate periodically anyway.  So the reality is, it will probably take about as long.

Personally, I would choose a fixed (milligrams) cut rate until and if sxs began to emerge, then make an adjustment. This is basically what I did.  It definitely won't take any longer, and could possibly be a little faster.

But either will work, and either should give a pretty smooth ride.

Thats what the non-attenuated option is.

Or if you know what mg cut rate you want to use, just create your own chart.

Strictly as an example (NOT a suggestion), your at 2mg and want to cut .02mg each day, the schedule would be...

etc......

Yeah...that might be a bit steep. That's 14% the first two weeks. I would suggest choosing a more moderate percentage and starting there. Maybe 7%, to keep it simple. That would be 0.01mg per day, instead. If you stay with that 0.01 per day, it will gradually go up in percentage but will stay manageable for a while.

Day 0: 2 MG

Day 14: 1.86 MG (7% cut)

Day 28: 1.72 MG (7.6% cut)

Day 42: 1.58 MG (8.2% cut)

Day 56: 1.44 MG (8.9% cut)

Day 70: 1.30 MG (9.8% cut)

Day 84: 1.16 MG (10.8% cut)

Day 98: 1.02 MG (12.1% cut)

Etc.

The gradual increase in taper rate would give you the opportunity to monitor symptoms and be able to tell what rate is best for you. Then you could speed up or slow down accordingly.

Yeah...that might be a bit steep. That's 14% the first two weeks. I would suggest choosing a more moderate percentage and starting there. Maybe 7%, to keep it simple. That would be 0.01mg per day, instead. If you stay with that 0.01 per day, it will gradually go up in percentage but will stay manageable for a while.

Day 0: 2 MG

Day 14: 1.86 MG (7% cut)

Day 28: 1.72 MG (7.6% cut)

Day 42: 1.58 MG (8.2% cut)

Day 56: 1.44 MG (8.9% cut)

Day 70: 1.30 MG (9.8% cut)

Day 84: 1.16 MG (10.8% cut)

Day 98: 1.02 MG (12.1% cut)

Etc.

The gradual increase in taper rate would give you the opportunity to monitor symptoms and be able to tell what rate is best for you. Then you could speed up or slow down accordingly.

As I noted, that was a demonstration on how to calculate/document a taper schedule.  It was NOT a suggested taper plan.

Thanks for your reply, Builder.

Is there a link to create a taper using a fixed (milligrams) cut rate?

Hi Renelle1

The example below shows how to create a taper plan using a fixed (milligrams) cut rate using Jims program:

click image

sjJetwX.png

Dear Bella Amis,

Thank you very much for pointing out where the taper rate can be changed on Jim Hawk's table. This was exceedingly helpful. Instead of a 5% taper, I will try a 7% taper and now I know how to do it. Thanks also to other BB, who helped me to navigate this taper. It is much appreciated.