"Benzodiazepines linked to higher mortality among drug users than heroin..."

[La...]

The full title of this 2017 Vancouver Sun article is "Benzodiazepines linked to higher mortality among drug users than heroin, cocaine, say health experts".

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/psychiatric-drugs-killing-more-users-than-heroin-cocaine-say-health-experts

Health professionals are sounding the alarm over the heightened risk of death linked to the use of psychiatric drugs – particularly benzodiazepine – which was highlighted in a pair of Vancouver-based studies published this month.

Benzodiazepine (BZD) is a class of psychiatric medications known as “tranquillizers” which can reduce the body’s drive to breathe and are used to treat anxiety, sleep disorders, seizures, and other conditions. They include commonly prescribed drugs such as Valium, Xanax, and Ativan.

The first of the two studies, which involved researchers from the B.C. Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS (BCCfE) and the University of B.C., looked at the impact of BZD use on mortality rates and established that use of BZDs was linked to a higher risk of death than illegal drugs.

“There’s a lot of research that’s been done on more traditional drugs of abuse, other illegal drugs like heroine, cocaine, amphetamines — but not a lot is known about the abuse of this kind of drug,” said Dr. Keith Ahamad, a clinician scientist with the BCCfE and an addictions physician at St. Paul’s Hospital.

The study followed a cohort of 2,802 drug users in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside between 1996 and 2013. Participants were interviewed semi-annually over a median duration of just over five-and-a-half years each. By the end of the study, 527 (18.8 per cent) of the participants had died.

Researchers found that the mortality rate was 1.86 times higher among the drug users who used BZD, compared to those who did not. Ahamad noted that even after researchers isolated other factors that could influence mortality, such as use of other drugs, infections, and high-risk behaviours, the mortality rate remained high among BZD users.

A second study conducted on a smaller group within the same cohort examined the link between BZD use and hepatitis C (HCV) infection. Of the 440 HCV-negative individuals who participated in the study, 158 reported prescribed or illicit BZD use, and 142 participants contracted HCV during the course of the study.

The study found that BZD was associated with a higher rate of HCV infection: Infection rates were 1.67 times higher among study participants who used BZD, compared to those who did not.

“There’s not a lot of scientific evidence to say these people should be on these medications chronically,” said Ahamad, acknowledging there is a tendency to lean on prescription psychiatric drugs though other non-pharmacological measures — such as counselling, breathing techniques, psycho-sociological treatment — are available.

Dr. Thomas Kerr, professor of medicine at UBC, echoed those sentiments: “Too often, we’re looking for an answer in a pill, and too often, we neglect other treatment options.”

Both doctors noted that there is very little evidence to support long-term use of BZDs.

“The interesting thing about this is that it’s a prescription drug and people think they’re safe,” Ahamad said. “But as it turns out, we’re probably prescribing these drugs in a way that’s leading to harm.”

Kerr noted that the rise in BZD-related deaths — “It’s been an epidemic brewing for many, many years” — very closely mirrors a rise in opioid-related deaths that has been widely documented. He cited a fourfold increase in BZD-related deaths in the United States between 1999 and 2014, and also noted that there are 50 per cent more deaths each year in the U.S. due to psychiatric medicine than heroin.

“These studies really reveal how very dangerous these drugs are, and they should be used with great caution,” Kerr said. “We can’t just focus on opioids, we need to look at other medications that are used in combination.”

Ahamad believes much of the onus is on doctors to be properly educated before prescribing BZDs. He also acknowledged that the lack of family doctors has led to many people visiting walk-in clinics, where patient records may not accurately record an individual’s drug or treatment history. Kerr noted there also needs to be a strengthening in how prescriptions are monitored and prescribed.

“There are risks that come with these medications and we need to be very, very careful about how we’re prescribing them,” Ahamad said.

The studies were published in Public Health Reports and the American Journal of Public Health and can be found online here and here.

sip@postmedia.com

twitter.com/stephanie_ip

• 1 month later...

“There are risks that come with these medications and we need to be very, very careful about how we’re prescribing them,” Ahamad said.

Just as importantly, imo, we need to be very, very careful about how we're promoting the de-prescribing of them, especially for those who have used them for more than 2 to 4 weeks.

The consequences of de-prescribing benzos can affect not only the well being &/or the lives of patients but also the well being &/or lives of patients' families.

There are black box warnings and and a plethora of other warnings regarding the possible use/abuse effects that benzos may cause but, there are very few warnings regarding the negative impacts that withdrawal and cessation from benzos may have upon patients and their families.

The part that pisses me off about this article is that the term used is ¨drug abusers¨. 

I NEVER abused clonazepam.  I took it exactly as prescribed.

I have since been treated like nothing but a drug abuser by the medical community, and I have really had it with that.

Just as importantly, imo, we need to be very, very careful about how we're promoting the de-prescribing of them, especially for those who have used them for more than 2 to 4 weeks.

The consequences of de-prescribing benzos can affect not only the well being &/or the lives of patients but also the well being &/or lives of patients' families.

There are black box warnings and and a plethora of other warnings regarding the possible use/abuse effects that benzos may cause but, there are very few warnings regarding the negative impacts that withdrawal and cessation from benzos may have upon patients and their families.

Just as many people have no issues when taking benzos, many people have no issues when coming off them. It's highly unpredictable. As you well know, there's little acknowledgement or acceptance of how difficult it can be to get off benzos. Both pharmacists and prescribers should have intimate knowledge of how to help people properly taper off medications that require it, including benzos, antidepressants, other psych meds, opioids, as well as other meds that have withdrawal syndromes (e.g. corticosteroids, etc.). It's not just the psych meds that have withdrawal syndromes, as per this article that I've posted before:

"Drug Discontinuation Effects Are Part of the Pharmacology of a Drug"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3200000/ 

The part that pisses me off about this article is that the term used is ¨drug abusers¨. 

I have since been treated like nothing but a drug abuser by the medical community, and I have really had it with that.

There's a documentary film in production (it has been in production for awhile now), called "As Prescribed", about benzo withdrawal for those who were taking these meds...yes, "as prescribed". That likely describes most BBs. I'm not sure when it's supposed to come out, but I'm hoping it's soon. If it gets wide attention, it could certainly bring the issue to the fore.

There's a documentary film in production (it has been in production for awhile now), called "As Prescribed", about benzo withdrawal for those who were taking these meds...yes, "as prescribed". That likely describes most BBs. I'm not sure when it's supposed to come out, but I'm hoping it's soon. If it gets wide attention, it could certainly bring the issue to the fore.

Hey, Lapis, please do let me know when it comes out.  I am adding you to my buddy list.  Thanks so much for sharing this info.

:thumbsup:

Not only the medical community but also the "judicial systems" in some jurisdictions treat benzo patients as suspect persons.

Some jurisdictions now require patients to enter into "controlled substance use agreements" in order to receive prescriptions for benzos which many people have been prescribed and have ONLY used as prescribed for most of their lives.

These "controlled substance use agreements" allow law enforcement agencies to review private medical records and to conduct investigations without patients' knowledge.

Hey, Lapis, please do let me know when it comes out.  I am adding you to my buddy list.  Thanks so much for sharing this info.

Hey purpleheart,

Here's the link to the info. Have a look at the trailer! It's quite moving for those of us who have been through the hell of benzo withdrawal. And I think you can sign up for updates there too. I'm really hoping to see this film completed sooner rather than later.

https://www.asprescribedfilm.com/ 

U.S. Prescription Drug Monitoring:

http://www.pdmpassist.org/content/prescription-drug-monitoring-frequently-asked-questions-faq

"How many states have a PDMP (Prescription Drug Monitoring Program)?

Currently, 49 states, the District of Columbia and one U.S. territory (Guam) have legislation authorizing the creation and operation of a PDMP. Forty-nine states, the District of Columbia and one U.S. territory (Guam) currently have a PDMP that is operational (meaning collecting data from dispensers and reporting information from the database to authorized users)."

"Prescription data is provided only to entities authorized by state law to access the program, such as health care practitioners, pharmacists, regulatory boards and law enforcement agencies."

Lapis, I don't know about Canada but, the U.S. is already on top of this issue including the references I've just made to electronic "Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs" which includes benzodiazepines.

best wishes

Edit:

"Which drugs are monitored by PDMPs?

Per state law, PDMPs monitor controlled substances as defined by Federal and State Controlled Substances Laws. Most PDMPs collect federal schedules II-IV which contain narcotics like hydrocodone, tranquilizers like alprazolam and diazepam, and stimulants like methylphenidate."

Please post when film comes out.

Incidentally local GPS are now rationing Benzos with off of ?... reduction support.

Or giving the more expensive and addictive pregabalin.

As above ——we are victims not druggies!!!

D

I'm sure there will be lots of posts and updates whenever "As Prescribed" comes out. We've been waiting impatiently for this film for awhile, and many of us have made donations to help with its production.

Incidentally local GPS are now rationing Benzos with off of ?... reduction support.

This is disturbing news.  Would you be so kind as to elaborate a bit more? Specifically, what do the following two phrases mean?

“rationing Benzos with off of ?”

“... reduction support”

Also, why are GPs rationing? Is this an individual or collective decision by GPs in your county? Or are GPs being subjected to external pressures (e.g. guidelines, laws, other)?

“As Prescribed” is supposed to be released by November 2019.

Thanks Resilience

Last time it was supposed to be spring 2019, so... hope it’s soon. That’s what we heard last.

Not that that’s your fault, purpleheart, or anyone’s necessarily—just really hoping it’s soon, like we all are I’m sure.

Re Benzo rationing.

Libertas asked where and why. I should have been more explanatory —-sorry.

Am in Essex.  Some friends have been given their last prescription and told to change practices if they don’t like it. Not known if long term or fear of flying types.

Reasons —I can only guess.

Senior partner cost cutting. ?

Local pharmacist lead hates repeat prescribers.

Fear of being sued.

New generation of anti benzo juniors.

I asked my chemist and he said no one had yet been taken off their repeats in the last two months.

A Gp who stops them suddenly is of course at risk of causing seizures.

My Gp is excellent but the county have an override system so when I needed extra to cover Christmas closure she was blocked from issuing a script. I found some in a drawer to get me over the gap.

Apologies if caused alarm.

D

Re Benzo rationing.

Libertas asked where and why. I should have been more explanatory —-sorry.

Am in Essex.  Some friends have been given their last prescription and told to change practices if they don’t like it. Not known if long term or fear of flying types.

Reasons —I can only guess.

Senior partner cost cutting. ?

Local pharmacist lead hates repeat prescribers.

Fear of being sued.

New generation of anti benzo juniors.

I asked my chemist and he said no one had yet been taken off their repeats in the last two months.

A Gp who stops them suddenly is of course at risk of causing seizures.

My Gp is excellent but the county have an override system so when I needed extra to cover Christmas closure she was blocked from issuing a script. I found some in a drawer to get me over the gap.

Apologies if caused alarm.

D

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. My heart goes out to your friends. Unfortunately, they are not alone. Other Benzo Buddies have shared similar experiences.

Is it that one on netflix??

Is it that one on netflix??

Hi Marigold.  I think someone said it is coming out November of this year (?)

Thanks Resilience

Last time it was supposed to be spring 2019, so... hope it’s soon. That’s what we heard last.

Not that that’s your fault, purpleheart, or anyone’s necessarily—just really hoping it’s soon, like we all are I’m sure.

Marigold -- here is where they were talking about the release date.  Hope this helps. :)

Thanks Resilience

Marigold -- here is where they were talking about the release date.  Hope this helps. :)

coooooooooooooooolllll 8)