Finding this hard to believe it could be a withdrawal symptom

[bf...]

[bf...]

Hello everyone,

I have posted about this before but it's really starting to bother me since it's my only symptom and it has been going on for 2 weeks.  It is very hard to describe but I will try my best.

About 2 weeks ago after I had this episode which felt like a seizure where my mind felt like it was being electrocuted and a bunch of thoughts kept coming into my mind (ruminations?) This was exactly 2 weeks after jumping.  The next day it felt like my mind was resetting or something every 10 seconds and I had to kept bring myself back to the present moment.  This really freaked me out.  The next day I had an MRI done with dye (unfortunately) because they wanted to check for a pituitary tumor (even before benzos).  Came back clear.  Later on that day I freaked out and ended up going to the hospital where the doctor baker acted me.  I spent 3 days in the psych ward where this symptom seemed to have disappeared or wasn't as bad.  When I got out last Sunday this symptom has gotten progressively worse. 

It's hard to describe but it feels as though my mind is going blank every 5-10 seconds.  I have to constantly keep bringing myself into the present moment.  It's like my mind is skipping and not picking up what my eyes are seeing. Kind of like I am doing half of the things with awareness and half on autopilot and this goes on all day long.  My mind is detaching.  I will be walking up the stares and have no awareness of it when I get to the top (like my mind is elsewhere)

My concern is that after that weird episode before it all started something in my brain was severely damaged.  I don't have DP/DR.  The only time it briefly goes away is when I am writing something or reading something. 

I know I am only off for a short amount of time but this doesn't seem like a typical withdrawal symptom.  This is currently my only symptom which scares me even more.  I am sleeping fine.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

[34...]
You are very early into wd. This is understandably a very frightening sx but if you didn't have this before benzos and your mri is clear it is very likely withdrawal.

[bf...]

Thanks, Southern Star

It's just really concerning that I can't really find anyone else that can directly relate to this symptom.  If it was DP/DR, anxiety, depression or any of the other mental symptoms I could accept it and try and move on but it feels like I had a stroke.

[34...]
You have not had a stroke I can hopefully reassure you of that, it would have shown up on the MRI. I had a stroke due to wd and it showed up on the MRI as they all do. BWD gives us sxs that are really scary and mimic all sorts of other conditions and alo mess up our thinking giving us irrational fears, due to the brain trying to find balance, if this is your only sx be thankful, just rest and don't push yourself, as i said, it's still very early days for you. Just hang in there, congratulations on being benzo free.

Hello everyone,

I have posted about this before but it's really starting to bother me since it's my only symptom and it has been going on for 2 weeks.  It is very hard to describe but I will try my best.

About 2 weeks ago after I had this episode which felt like a seizure where my mind felt like it was being electrocuted and a bunch of thoughts kept coming into my mind (ruminations?) This was exactly 2 weeks after jumping.  The next day it felt like my mind was resetting or something every 10 seconds and I had to kept bring myself back to the present moment.  This really freaked me out.  The next day I had an MRI done with dye (unfortunately) because they wanted to check for a pituitary tumor (even before benzos).  Came back clear.  Later on that day I freaked out and ended up going to the hospital where the doctor baker acted me.  I spent 3 days in the psych ward where this symptom seemed to have disappeared or wasn't as bad.  When I got out last Sunday this symptom has gotten progressively worse. 

It's hard to describe but it feels as though my mind is going blank every 5-10 seconds.  I have to constantly keep bringing myself into the present moment.  It's like my mind is skipping and not picking up what my eyes are seeing. Kind of like I am doing half of the things with awareness and half on autopilot and this goes on all day long.  My mind is detaching.  I will be walking up the stares and have no awareness of it when I get to the top (like my mind is elsewhere)

My concern is that after that weird episode before it all started something in my brain was severely damaged.  I don't have DP/DR.  The only time it briefly goes away is when I am writing something or reading something. 

I know I am only off for a short amount of time but this doesn't seem like a typical withdrawal symptom.  This is currently my only symptom which scares me even more.  I am sleeping fine.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Hi Kornyboyo1917,

I noticed you mentioned that the only time this symptom goes away is when you're reading or writing something, this is a key observation.  What it tells me is that distraction helps, as distraction helped me when I was symptomatic, it's probably the best medicine I can prescribe for this process.  Try not to focus on your symptoms, I know, an impossible request, but distracting yourself from them is so important. 

If you've had the medical tests which rule out possible health issues, trust that this is another hideous withdrawal symptom and will go away as you heal.

Heretohelp

[bf...]
Thanks for all the help guys.  It started to lift as of 3 days ago so I know it's not permanent.  Withdrawal is very unpredictable.  In the future, I can reassure anyone who has this symptom!

Withdrawal creates Temporary, reversible symptoms.

See list below:

THESE ARE JUST SOME OF THE MANY REPORTED SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS INDICATING YOU OR SOMEONE YOU CARE ABOUT MAY BE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH A BENZODIAZEPINE PRESCRIPTION:

MENTAL/COGNITIVE/BEHAVIORAL SIGNS.  You may or may not experience these symptoms.

Aggressive Behavior

Agitation/Irritability/Short Tempered/Rage Outbursts

Agoraphobia

Anhedonia

Anxiety/Panic/Terror Attacks/Development of Various Fears and Phobias

Apathy

Cognitive Impairment/Fog

Confusion

Crying

Depression

Depersonalization

Derealization

Dysphoria

Emotional Lability

Feeling numb or like a “zombie on autopilot”/Feeling over-sedated

Hallucinations

Hearing Voices

Impaired Judgment

Intrusive thoughts/Excessive negative thinking and feelings of doom

Irrational Thoughts and Behavior

Loss of Creativity

Mania

Memory & Concentration Issues

Monophobia

Mood Swings

Neurocognitive problems

Obsessive compulsive or other “odd” behavior

Paranoia

Personality Changes

Reckless Behavior

Self-Harming Thoughts and Behavior

Stress Intolerance

Suicidal Ideation

PHYSICAL SIGNS

Adrenaline Rushes

Akathisia/Restlessness

Allergies & Sensitivities increasing or developing

Appetite changes

Aura

Blood Pressure Issues, fluctuations

Cardiac Symptoms – Bradycardia (slow heart rate), Tachycardia (rapid heart rate), Heart Palpitations, Pounding heart

Clenching jaw, especially during sleep (TMJ)

Chills

Increased susceptibility to illness, stress on the immune system

Diminished Motor Skills – Clumsiness, Coordination Problems, Difficulty walking, Dropping things, Falling down

Dizziness/Vertigo/Balance Issues (General vestibular disturbances)

Drooling

Dysautonomia Symptoms

Dysphagia (swallowing difficulty)

Earache

Exhaustion

Fainting

Fasciculations (benign)

Fatigue/Lethargy/Weakness

Flu-Like Symptoms

Frequent Urination

Gastrointestinal Symptoms

Grinding Teeth / TMJ problms

Hair Loss

Headaches

Hearing loss or changes

Hormonal Issues

Hyperacusis (sensitivity to sound frequency)

Inner Vibrating or Buzzing

Intolerance to cold and heat

Itching/Skin Rashes/Hives

Joint Pain (And other joint issues)

Lightheaded

Loss of Coordination

Malaise

Menstrual Issues

Migraine with or without aura

Motion sickness susceptibility

Muscle Symptoms – Clenching, Cramping, Loss of muscle tone, Over-or under-active muscle reflexes, Pain, Spasms, Squeezing, Stiffness, Tension, Twitching

Nerve Pain

Paresthesia – Tingling, tickling, prickling, numbness, burning of skin

Perceptual disturbance (feeling of being on a boat, feelings of unreality, deja vu, etc.)

Peripheral Neuropathy

Photophobia

Phonophobia

Respiratory – Shortness of breath, Can’t get deep breath, Labored breathing, Over-breathing

Sensitivity to light and sound

Sensitivity to smells, including naturally occurring smells or chemicals such as fragrance

Sensitivity to temperature, weather and pressure changes

Shaking/Rigors/Tremors

Sleep Issues – Excessive sleeping, Insomnia, Myoclonic jerks, Sleep paralysis, No dreaming, Vivid dreaming, Nightmares

Slurred Speech

Sweats

Tachycardia between doses or in the morning, or generalized

Tight Throat/Ball-in-throat sensation

Tinnitus (Ringing or pulsatile effects in ears)

Tremors

Vision Issues – blurred vision, seeing spots, grainy visions, after-images, sensitivities

Weight Loss

Withdrawal symptoms that will intensify between doses or near dosing times

Source:  w-bad.org

I understand. Its as if your life is a film roll and somebody edited the film roll and took one frame out of the film roll and your perception skips ahead without you noticing that moment passing by. It is benzo wd and will pass sooner rather then later. Good luck!

[bf...]

Hi Windwalker,

Yes, that is exactly how it was.  I haven't had it the past couple of days so that's a good sign.  Unfortunately, I have been hit with the fear today where it feels like I have been chased by a bear.

I understand your fear issue. Fear was my worst symptom most the time. It peaked in the dark of night. I had fear where I thought I was going to die any second then be doomed to hell and there was nothing I could do about it. I also had fearful hallucinations at night of evil creatures. It was immediate fear that came out of no where. Terror is a much better word to describe it. It was a nightmare. My fear has passed as will yours. I was also on Kpin and ativan at much higher doses then you. So hopefully your nightmare will pass faster then mine has. Good luck!