Remeron?

[Re...]

I was prescribed Remeron when I was hit with a cancer diagnosis and the celexa wasn't carrying me through that. I started taking it before starting benzos. It worked wonders for me. I'm still on it while tapering off the xanax. So I can't offer my experience coming off of it.

[69...]

Hi Restoration!

Took it for 2 weeks. Made me feel dizzy during the day. I was able to sleep better after a week of taken it. It would be better if you can do it without it.  Check your sleep Hygiene, not naps ,coffee. Have a cold or hot shower before bed, that helped me a lot.

Don’t touch it.. it’s almost killed me.. added years of indescribable hell to my sentence. It’s worse than my benzo CT by far.. it’s been years and I’m in acute hell..

I haven't taken Remeron specifically, but I think all antidepressants are poison. Our brains just aren't meant to be tinkered with, and if you're already on benzos then you've already got a tough medication to come off of. When I stopped taking Paxil it was a full on nightmare with anxiety, depression, derealization, a lot of the same stuff as with benzos. It didn't really help me that much anyway. It's a personal choice of what to do but I think the moral of the story for just about everybody on this forum is that you can't fix everything with a psychotropic medication. Plus they all carry some degree of risk.

Thank you all for your replies.  I'll tell you, my system is very sensitive as well.

I've gone into Anaphalectic shock FIVE TIMES.  Once was to a DYE on an aspirin.  Had to have Epinephrine shots every time.  Nearly died.  Even the doctor shook as he was treating me.

And this Valium is really kicking me in the butt as well.  God help me.

Can anyone share with me if you've been on Remeron ....if and when you tapered and what it was like or how long it took.  Was it as difficult as Benzos.  I don't want to do that again!  Please let me know.

micedana

I'm trying to do without it but I turned 70 last fall and no sleep and I'm very thin, losing, not gaining.  At this age, I need sleep and my doctor wants to rush me WITHOUT HOLDING or he said He will CUT ME OFF! 

Someone in here said it is as bad as Benzos to get off.  I am trying to find someone who tapered from it and actually got off as well. 

I would prefer not taking any more meds to be honest.  I don't drink coffee or stimulants either.  I tried the nausea pill that Ashton suggested, it worked ONE NIGHT.  Last night it did not work at all.  I took California Poppy Seed capsule and that relaxed me but no deep sleep.  I'm out of options.

I am in the process of trying to find another doctor who will listen but live in a rural area and now will have to drive hours to find one who will help me and won't threaten me. 

I saw a Psychiatrist at AMEN CLINICS in Washington, D.C. but they cannot prescribe medication out of state.  Anyway, had ever test known to man and I am mentally healthy in every way except for the Valium causing problems with my memory which she told me can heal WHEN I get off the Valium.  I showed the letter to my GP and he still wants to treat me like I'm a mental case!  Maybe it is his EGO, I don't know.  But he scared me to death with his threats.

Please let me know if you find anyone who has been on this and tapered off of it. 

And even though we are all individuals, I'm so hyper I think Remeron would really help.  I am over excited all the time......Receptors have been harmed for sure.....that is why I am considering Remeron.

Let me know, please keep me updated.  Thanks so much.

I stopped it in Oct 2014, went back into acute a few months later..I’m still second to second 4 years later.. had a few small windows 2017 and 2018, went back into worse than acute July last year, did nothing! House bound, intrusives every second of the devils dialogue, akathisia, migraines, DR and DP, explosive rage tremors, vibrating. Don’t touch it... I’m in crisis 24.7..

I am so sorry for you MissMoo.  I will continue to pray for you.  I hope that does not offend you that I will pray for your restoration and healing.

I am glad, however, that you are here to warn us. In that God will reward you.  We're all suffering here, but for you to suffer on top of WD from Benzos is just not right.

Thank you for warning us and Praying for Miracles for you dear one.

If I’d not touched that drug I’d of had 6.5 years under my belt. I had windows after the benzo CT, clear ones.. I hit 8 months off and hell broke loose with terror and insomnia. I was up 4-5 days at a time. I was terrified to take another drug, people then said it was fine!! I was a single parent and couldn’t lose the house. I’ve lost everything for taking that drug on top, everything.... if I’d ridden it out I’d o been sick for years sure, but such a different sick. It was an atomic bomb to the brain. Lost so far 4 years of my sons life.. I can’t look at him, be near him, think of him the mental symptoms are things I couldn’t  write on here. I wish people on here had warned me off.

Update: so I tried taking 7.5 mg of mirt 2 nights ago. It was the first time I’ve had a solid nights sleep since quitting Ativan. The next day I felt awesome! Minimal WD symptoms...I think I felt a little TOO good you know?? Last night I took about 3 mg ... still a great nights sleep but did feel some WD today.

I am sufficiently scared by the stories I’ve heard about mirtazapine WD so I think I’m going to try melatonin instead ...

Ive been on remeron for about 4 years now and it made me gain weight. Been trying to get off  of it and having a hell of a time. I got off xanax via valium much easier. Im at 5.8mg now and am exhausted and feel like hell most of the time. DOnt take it if you can avoid it.

Pokey

It's working well for me as it's helping with sleep. Also, I think it has a calming effect as well. I'm not sure how difficult it will be to taper.

Ive been on remeron for about 4 years now and it made me gain weight. Been trying to get off  of it and having a hell of a time. I got off xanax via valium much easier. Im at 5.8mg now and am exhausted and feel like hell most of the time. DOnt take it if you can avoid it.

Pokey

Go to Surviving antidepressants

Pokey

Go to Surviving antidepressants

I think like with benzos, previous episodes with antidepressants might interfere with subsequent tapers. I haven't checked the literature but it's a possibility. In medical science, which is my job, everything is possible.

I’ve found Surviving Antidepressants to be a rather useless website. It’s rare to get a response to any post I make. We hey typically move to some other thread never to be seen. Waste of time

getting off 30 mg remeron in a month was a crisis for me, and resulted in my benzo experience afterwards. i had never had tmj, dp/dr, psych disability before this happened.

later trying to save my life and my job, i started taking it again at low dose. it's been 5 years at 3.75. i have had too much to do to deal with it, but i will drop it if and when I have the time and fortitude.

I am taking 3.75mg, 1/4 of whg I believe is the smallest strength tablet. It has helped with both sleep and anxiety from the first night I took it. I went up to 7.5 mg for a week or two but didn’t get a whole lot more added benefit so dropped back down with no problems.

I really wouldn’t worry about a low dose too much to get you through rough patch right now.

Remeron  and benzo ruined my life. I’m bed ridden for 3 years with severe burning  squeezing headache and scalp pain. Bad anxiety and depression insomnia, severe adrenaline fatigue, thingling pain all over my body. Not able to work or function.

Before this hell I worked full time had a happy life never had depression or anxiety. Only peri menapouse and doctor give me Clonazepam for sleep bc I said sleep is not that good. If I would know........huge mistake in my life to listen to doctor over and over again. Now they dont know what to do with me. Completely disabled

I hope what ever you decide it will work for you

Love and healing

Vica

Remeron  and benzo ruined my life. I’m bed ridden for 3 years with severe burning  squeezing headache and scalp pain. Bad anxiety and depression insomnia, severe adrenaline fatigue, thingling pain all over my body. Not able to work or function.

Before this hell I worked full time had a happy life never had depression or anxiety. Only peri menapouse and doctor give me Clonazepam for sleep bc I said sleep is not that good. If I would know........huge mistake in my life to listen to doctor over and over again. Now they dont know what to do with me. Completely disabled

Love and healing

Vica

When we take more than one drug it's hard to say which one caused what. Benzos are probably the worst to come off, antidepressants in general are easier.

Love and healing

Vica

When we take more than one drug it's hard to say which one caused what. Benzos are probably the worst to come off, antidepressants in general are easier.

Yes it is true, I have no idea which drug withrawl  is giving me hell. What I know I would not touch any of them anymore.

I call Remeron “evil mitazipine.”  I’m not the only one.  :o

It has a nasty withdrawal to it. In some ways, it’s withdrawal profile is similar to a benzo. I slowly tapered off mirtazipine and it wasn’t easy. I was on 1/2 to 1 tab of 15 mg, mostly 7.5 mg. I finished that taper long before staring my Klonopin taper.

Besides Mirtazipine/Remeron, I only have experience with low dose SSRIs which have very little withdrawal effect for me. That gives you an idea of why people recommend against Remeron.

Annie