Hope

[Ra...]

How strange to be sitting here writing this. I’m 100% .

Don’t want to make this too long. But I was put on klonopin in 2006

.. tapered off (fast) without knowing of this site or what was happening to me.

Long story.. but ended up getting put on lyrica and back on klonopin in 2011.

Also put on ambien in 2015-ish. Became tolerant to the ambien. I found this site...

I am Benzo free since feb 2016, and lyrica free since dec 2018.

Lyrica- if reduced very very slow- you will be fine.

What I can add is that I am fine even after pretty much abruptly stopping

Klonopin in 2009, restarting it, then dropping it again, and also abruptly stopping ambien. And also reducing lyrica slowly. I can offer to you reading this. - you’re going to be fine!

I’m wanting to have an alcoholic drink -socially. But haven’t seen a lot of stories regarding that.

Can anyone add anything about a social drink 3-4 years after last benzo ?

Hi. The time I got off klonopin quickly in 2009 was difficult. I didn’t know what was happening. Panic feelings etc. but I started taking lyrica- which masked benzo withdrawal.

Seems like from others Lyrica and gabapentin have different experiences, but for me it helped ease withdrawal. But, and there is a big but- lyrica has its own withdrawal. It took me 2 years to get off. The difficult part of that was just the stress of it. But going off it extremely slowly allowed for easy withdrawal from lyrica.

Congratulations Radtech!  That’s awesome that you are healed.  It looks like you dealt with insomnia.  How/when did your sleep return?  Thank you.

To be honest I don’t know. The lyrica I was taking masked the withdrawal. But I do know that I was able to take naps during the day ( I believe that is a true sign of healing) ... I think the naps came about a yr and half post last benzo.

Eat nutritious food, B VItamins, light exercise, water all help body heal. Stay away from alcohol, marijuana, benzo.

I got off birth control end of 2016.  Birth control wreaked havoc in my body. The stress, a low low carb diet I went on led to adrenal fatigue. Which I have now recovered from. What a crazy ride!

But I have gained so much. My faith, I live more deeply. I will say the hurt and pain from putting trust into doctors is difficult. But I’m better now because I’m not naive. I’m not going to just take or do what someone tells me. Now I know to question everything!!!!

I’m currently trying to find my lighter side again. Because this has been so dark. Trust .. trying to trust. I’m kinda still emotionally drained from it all. Happy / thrilled.. but still a bit overwhelmed. You truly do gain from pain. The sun will come again!!

Congratulations on your recovery!  :thumbsup:

I am 30 months off today and I had a few social drinks over Thanksgiving and Christmas. 

I had 1 beer about 3 different times.  I will not drink more than one beer and I drink it slowly.  It didn't do anything.

I noticed that it seemed really strong as I haven't had any alcohol in about 3 years and it was just an American Lager with the "normal" amount of alcohol

I heard horror stories about those that got drunk after recovering.  I would never do that anyway.  I don't like feeling out of control and don't want to risk going back into withdrawal.

I think you will be fine with one drink, 2 tops.

Good luck.

Congratulations on your recovery. I’m 30 months out a couple weeks ago and still on the roller coaster ride from hell. Wave after wave with brief little lifts of symptoms in between. Can’t believe how long this can last. Anyway I personally would avoid alcohol forever, we don’t need alcohol to live so why bother. Not worth the risk. Alcohol is cross tolerant with benzos so it should be avoided like the plague. Congratulations again on your recovery.

Thank you. Yea I hear ya! I've gone back and forth w/ the alcohol thing. Leaning towards staying away.

but then I'm also concerned what if I ever needed a surgical procedure (?)

Any comments experiences w/ that??