Can EXTREME Cold Effect Sleep

[Ma...]

Past 4 dasys, seeminngly the days I have hard time sleeping or staying asleep Temps in Michigan have been BRUTAL, Minues during day and last night and now its -20 out......I have a blanket but seems cold seeps thru my window anyways

They say average tems should be 50-60 at sleep time so not sure with people that have insomnia this type of cold can keep me up or waking me

Last night Started to sleep at 1:30 am woke up at 5:30 or so and couldnt get back so maybe 3 and half hrs of poor sleep woke up it was even colder

It's been in the minus 20s and 30s at night where I live too.

Actually a symptom of hypothermia is sleepiness.  For most, the cold actually makes you sleepy?

We keep our house at 63 at night and everyone sleeps fine

It is possible that the cold can wake you, especially if it is too cold?

Be thankful for 3.5 or 4 hours of sleep

The more you fret/think about sleep the less you will get regardless of what is causing your insomnia

Just stop caring if you sleep or not, you will get what you get regardless of your response to sleep and you might even get more sleep when you don't care?

You don't have SFI or you would have been dead by now...I thought I had that too.

Take responsibility for your personal health and try to get as healthy as possible with your diet and exercise.  My son and I shoveled our 175 driveway with over a foot of snow on Monday and I slept like a rock that night!

Your sleep might never get to where you would like it in terms of hours and feeling refreshed, but you can learn to live with the sleep you get and be happy and positive.

I used to think if I didn't get 7 or 8 hours each night that I should feel like crap.  I psychologically convinced myself I should feel bad.  When I started being positive and not caring about the number of hours I got, I felt A LOT better on the same amount of sleep.

Chasing sleep, complaining about the lack of sleep, worrying about sleep, etc. will only cause it to elude you.

Give up with chasing sleep and it will make its way back to you...again probably not to pre-Benzo sleep, but better than what you are getting now!

Thing is past 3 mights feels like its adding up and I got nothing I have Light headedness, brain fog, Fatigue

Starting to think Maybe I do have CFS or something cause I am always tired no matter how much sleep I get, Some days the Fatigue is much worse then others

HOnestly though does nto your brain need a good around of DEEP RESTORATIVE sleep to heal and your heart? Can addedf on days of suffering give you brain damage or having your heart pump harder give you a heart attack?

Restorative sleep is good, but unfortunately you can still get some restorative sleep while not feeling like you did?

During sleep, your heart still beats, but at a slower rate and usually your blood pressure drops.

During "Micro sleeps" or sleep that you are unaware of, parts of the brain shut down or sleep.  So your brain is getting what it needs even if you feel like crap!

I wouldn't worry about whether you are getting restorative sleep or not.  Your body will get what it needs to survive.  I know that doesn't help with not feeling refreshed, but you will survive and have no for years with poor sleep.

I still have lots of dreams some nights, but oddly my sleep is still improving.  I now get a few nights per week where I sleep 8-10 hours and I never really did that except when I was a teenager!

Withdrawal and CFS sort of mimic each other.  It is possible that you have CFS, but I would say it is still the effects of withdrawal? 

Long bouts of little sleep will most likely not give you brain damage or a heart attack!  There are millions of insomniacs that never took drugs and just have plain old insomnia.  Many of them live long, "normal" lives except for being sleep deprived. 

It is also possible that if you have some genetic heart condition, that lack of sleep could exacerbate that issue, but again, it is highly unlikely you will have a heart attack or that information would be widely reported on this site and the Internet in general.  There are always exceptions to everything though. 

Many on this forum have been majorly sleep deprived for years and their health has not really suffered other than being tired and cranky and feeling like crap from time to time.  I know I never got a cold or flu or sick even one time while I was majorly sleep deprived.

Stress, more than anything else, is often to blame for a lot of our health issues.  Stress will do more heart and brain damage (imo) than lack of sleep will.

Again, maybe try to not fret or worry so much about sleep?  Stop fixating on how crappy you feel and your lack of sleep and it could get better than what it is now in terms of amount and quality?

Please don't equate crappy sleep with automatic damage to other parts of your body.  That fear, stress and anxiety will hurt you a lot more than lack of sleep.

The Fatigue from past days so bad I got body aches, and walking around just is laggy bad

I would think feeling this bad so far like I been up for days on end would make me just pass out no matter what the weather is and get some actual sleep but it dont