Melatonin

[So...]

I know people talked about Melatonin. I am tapering Valium (at 3mg now, down from 10mg) and waking up at 3am or 4am for the past week. I've never taken Melatonin and don't take any supplements now but thinking I should try a low dose of Melatonin (1mg) to get some sleep finally. Any advice on what kind to try? Anyone think this is a bad idea. Also heard that Magnesium and Zinc can help with w/d.

Any advice would be so appreciated!

From what I have read, a lower dose of melatonin works better.... like 1/2 mg.  Also unisom (25 ml doxylamine) which is an anti-histame works.  Melatonin help you fall asleep but doesn't keep you asleep.  Problem is, if you keep taking sleep aids on a regular basis, after a while they stop working. I've tried Magnesium but it didn't help my sleep. I've also hear good things about zinc but never tried it.

Whatever you do, don't resort to Lunesta or Ambien for sleep... they are essentially benzos and work on the same GABBA receptors.

There is a forum (below)  for Insomnia... might give you some other ideas.  Insomnia is one of my worst symptoms.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=83.0

I've tried Melatonin twice - once a couple of years ago and then this week. It did not make me sleepy either time. It does work for some, and I hope you are one. It would be great to have a natural remedy as I would not be willing to use prescription sleep aids for the reasons already mentioned.

Be sure to post if you do have success with Melatonin.

I have taken melatonin throughout my withdrawal and still use it often. It's effects are so subtle for me that it only seems to really work on nights when I am likely to fall asleep anyway. It may help push me over the edge on those nights and also may just function as a placebo. Never noticed any ill effects from it.

Thanks everyone - I haven't gone the Melatonin route yet - going to just try and get through without adding anything but will resort to it if I have to and let you know what happens.

From what I have read, a lower dose of melatonin works better.... like 1/2 mg.  Also unisom (25 ml doxylamine) which is an anti-histame works.  Melatonin help you fall asleep but doesn't keep you asleep.  Problem is, if you keep taking sleep aids on a regular basis, after a while they stop working. I've tried Magnesium but it didn't help my sleep. I've also hear good things about zinc but never tried it.

Whatever you do, don't resort to Lunesta or Ambien for sleep... they are essentially benzos and work on the same GABBA receptors.

There is a forum (below)  for Insomnia... might give you some other ideas.  Insomnia is one of my worst symptoms.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=83.0

Hello,

I read your answer regarding Unisom (which is the same drug than Benadryl) and I would to share that I had a bad experience by using it. Please be careful as it is not innocuous!

Please read my thread

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=216613.0

My best regards!

Thanks Rodolfo - I took benadryl one night and had a really bad reaction. I ended up not getting any melatonin - decided to just face sleep as it comes or doesn't without any supplements - I am too scared to add anything to my system as I taper.