Health anxiety

[05...]

[05...]

Hi Buddies,

I know there have been threads about health anxiety on here. This is not a symptom I've had badly before (especially seeing that I've been involved in natural-health research for a while and love it), but...WOW, it has suddenly hit me like a tonne of bricks over the last week or so.

I guess it's understandable, considering what we're going through, but this bad? And it's not only related to my own symptoms, but to any little thing concerning my husband, our family, our cats... I obsessively look for ominous signs in every little niggle, and before I know it I'm hysterical, terrified, and in tears.

I'm starting to feel like a total whack job. I keep checking on all of us constantly, researching every tiny change, making sure everything is OK, driving myself into a frenzy of worry in case I'm missing something... The hyper-vigilance is driving me crazy - I'm totally exhausted by it, and it's now causing insomnia.

I know this is irrational and over the top, yet I can't seem to shift focus - the fear and worry is all-consuming and overwhelming.

Anyone care to weigh in with similar experiences or coping tips? Thanks, buddies.

[05...]

Thought I'd update, as I woke up in a tiny semi-window (first since Christmas). And - just like that...the health anxiety dropped reassuringly for the duration. This means it has to be withdrawal related - and I'm not bat-shit crazy after all ('not totally, Mama', says my little one  ::)).

I'm sure it will cycle back in and out, as others have described, but at least the cats could come out of hiding for a couple of hours... 

I hope this reassures others who grapple with this nasty OCD-like symptom.

Ruby

Thought I'd update, as I woke up in a tiny semi-window (first since Christmas). And - just like that...the health anxiety dropped reassuringly for the duration. This means it has to be withdrawal related - and I'm not bat-shit crazy after all ('not totally, Mama', says my little one  ::)).

I'm sure it will cycle back in and out, as others have described, but at least the cats could come out of hiding for a couple of hours... 

I hope this reassures others who grapple with this nasty OCD-like symptom.

Ruby

Glad you did get a window, poor cats. ((🧡))

[05...]

(((mon pilote))) - Always happy to see you!

Yep, they're purring over a sardines-and-cream treat...  ;D

Hope you're hanging in there. Sending a warm hug.

Hi Rubylove,

In September 2015, I convinced myself that I was going to die by the end of that year.  I didn't (there was no physical reason to), but I was convinced I was going to die, it was a strange feeling, and I accepted it at the time.  It has been 4 years since then, and I feel the same now, it all has to do with health anxiety.  It isn't easy, it comes and goes, it's a hard thing to deal with, I do understand.  Much love to you.

:smitten:

ginger127

[05...]

ginger,

I've had that same feeling on and off throughout this journey, especially before I knew it was the meds doing it to me... At the time, I was extremely sick, and I think the trauma of that still plays into this strongly.

But now, it's like you say: a large part is just the organic anxiety that's part of recovery.

I'm really sorry you had to go through all that. And I'm glad you're here with us - you bring warm encouragement to many.

Love to you, dear ginger

[05...]
momack, it just means you get overly worried and frantic about your health all the time. Every tiny symptom makes you obsess about 'what's wrong' and causes panic. The heightened general anxiety we experience during withdrawal can trigger this. But it goes away as we heal.

• 3 weeks later...

I have it very bad. It is basically my worst and most constant problem. I don't associate it with benzo issues, though. I've had it since my mid-30's (when I first began to realize I am not invincible).

I have one or two MAJOR events per year with smaller, more constant recurring issues at the same time.

I will not research symptoms online anymore. I do search this forum. I try to clear my mind (with conscious effort). I also have a worry stone and a raquet ball (fits nicely in the hand). I have shows/movies that I watch that make me feel good or distract me. These are a few of the ways I try to cope.

Mine has been extremely bad and has lasted for a very, very long time. I'm always scanning my body in my head, worrying. It's not as bad as it was before, but it's still pretty sizable.