Switching from Ativan to valium help

[Je...]

I was wondering if I switched from Ativan to valium without a cross over would be a problem? I'm having a terrible time with this generic Ativan and want to change needs right away. I figured I would like to begin coming off of these benzis so valium was the first med that came to mind to switch to. I don't take meds in the morning or afternoon unless I really need to. I take 1mg of Ativan after dinner and 2 mg before bed.  How would I do a cross over with valium on that schedule? Or should I just go right to valium? My doctor is not very familiar and isn't a big help. I have gained so much knowledge from this site. Also, these generic Ativan are causing major depression that I didn't have before. Do you think the Valium causes depression as well? Also, will valium be too sedating as to where I won't want to get up in the morning? I'm such a wreck about all if this. I'm sending this from work. I can't even concentrate. Picked up smoking again. I just need help and end this awful cycle.

Thank you.

I was wondering if I switched from Ativan to valium without a cross over would be a problem? I'm having a terrible time with this generic Ativan and want to change needs right away. I figured I would like to begin coming off of these benzis so valium was the first med that came to mind to switch to. I don't take meds in the morning or afternoon unless I really need to. I take 1mg of Ativan after dinner and 2 mg before bed. How would I do a cross over with valium on that schedule? Or should I just go right to valium? My doctor is not very familiar and isn't a big help. I have gained so much knowledge from this site. Also, these generic Ativan are causing major depression that I didn't have before. Do you think the Valium causes depression as well? Also, will valium be too sedating as to where I won't want to get up in the morning? I'm such a wreck about all if this. I'm sending this from work. I can't even concentrate. Picked up smoking again. I just need help and end this awful cycle.

Thank you.

Hello Jennypenny0812-

You could do a direct crossover and see how that goes. If it is to much we can help you put together a gradual crossover plan. With dosing the Valium a single dose at bedtime would probably be sufficient due to the longer half life. The Valium can cause/exuberate depression. Maybe consider Klonopin or Librium if depression is a concern. Valium is also very sedating but this lessens after a few weeks.

Hope this info helps...if you need more help we are here for you  :thumbsup:

Thank you for the reply. Depression hasn't been a problem for me in the past. Ever since starting this generic Ativan it has been extreme. So not really sure. I was thinking the same as you.....maybe just the Valium at night which will carry over to the next night due to the longer half life. I was considering asking for 10mg valium which would be equivalent to 1mg of Ativan and have them prescribe me 3 times a day. I am now prescribed 2mg of Ativan twice a day but always broke them in half.

I didn't have a problem direct crossing from Xanax-Klonopin-Valium, but some people do find it a bit smoother to taper off one while ramping up the other.  The trick is that the Valium crossover dose isn't exact; there's a pretty big margin of error, so you'll have to

start at a crossover dose and see how it goes.  When I use the benzo calculator for your dose, 1mg Ativan=8mg Valium, but the margin is from 2.5mg Valium-10mg Valium.  I would try 10 and if it's too sedating, cut down a bit.  This actually happened to me; my Valium equivalence was 20mg, but I was REALLY tranqued out at that dose, so I immediately cut to 15mg and that was better. 

Thank you for that. I didn't know it was 8mgs. I see my doctor tomorrow and I'm going to ask him for 10mgs and break them if I have to. I think I will just try the direct switch this weekend to see how it goes. How was your taper plan? I was reading 5% but I'm not really sure what that means in milligrams. I want to bring some sort of chart with me to the psych tomorrow so I have something to go by. He is not that knowledgeable when it comes to tapers. I just want all the information I can so he can work with me. Thanks for your help. I appreciate so much.

Thank you for that. I didn't know it was 8mgs. I see my doctor tomorrow and I'm going to ask him for 10mgs and break them if I have to. I think I will just try the direct switch this weekend to see how it goes. How was your taper plan? I was reading 5% but I'm not really sure what that means in milligrams. I want to bring some sort of chart with me to the psych tomorrow so I have something to go by. He is not that knowledgeable when it comes to tapers. I just want all the information I can so he can work with me. Thanks for your help. I appreciate so much.

Here is a link to a where you can make your own schedule.

Here is a 5% every 14days from 30mg Schedule made with the calculator listed above.

Here is another program where you can Create Your Own Taper Plan by Jim Hawk It may be helpful if you check out the Help function prior to using the program.

Play around with these calculators and come up with a plan that will work for you. If you need more help just ask ...we are here for you!  :thumbsup:

Edit: Removed infected link