A point of view on Muscle Spasms

[Re...]

Hello all,

I am almost 5 months in from going cold turkey from 10yr + Klonopin use. (In detox). Needless to say its been awful BUT getting better as time goes by. The one physical symptom which is now really bothering me is muscle spasms (or twitches?). The are generally in my lower back / legs- very unpleasant. Does anyone else have/ get these- did they eventually go?

Hi, muscle spasms are a very common physical symptom, perhaps THE most common.  They are temporary, and happen because benzos are powerful muscle relaxants, and when discontinued there is a rebound effect.  For more about this, see the Ashton Manual, Chapter III, on muscle symptoms.

:thumbsup:

Megan is right. This is a very common wd symptom. Time will heal it. How are you doing otherwise? If this is your only symptom, my friend, you are doing VERY well! 10 years on a benzo and going CT is recipe for disaster. Similar to my history.

east

Hi all

Thanks for reassuring me that the spasms should eventually go. Its a massive relief.

Eastcoast62,  muscle spasms were my only physical symptom. And I've been through a few e.g. sleeplessness, hives, tintinnus . Mentally though I am not out of the woods- the crazy fear and panic of the first couple of months, moved to a mild depression and now feeling better but still have fearful episodes.

The good new is that the trajectory seems to be upwards...but these last few months have been the darkest in my life. I did CT on the advice of my prescribing doctor as I could not taper- I tried.

The point is that it will get better. Love to all

• 2 weeks later...
Yup. Muscle fasiculations. Like little twiches or even jerks over my whole body. This with the never ending tinnitus and the feeling of walking in a fun house are my constant companions. Hang in there. Drink water, force yourself to eat good meals.

Here is a common list of Withdrawal Symptoms to put your mind at ease...

THESE ARE JUST SOME OF THE MANY REPORTED SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS INDICATING YOU OR SOMEONE YOU CARE ABOUT MAY BE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH A BENZODIAZEPINE PRESCRIPTION:

MENTAL/COGNITIVE/BEHAVIORAL SIGNS.  You may or may not experience these symptoms.

Aggressive Behavior

Agitation/Irritability/Short Tempered/Rage Outbursts

Agoraphobia

Anhedonia

Anxiety/Panic/Terror Attacks/Development of Various Fears and Phobias

Apathy

Cognitive Impairment/Fog

Confusion

Crying

Depression

Depersonalization

Derealization

Dysphoria

Emotional Lability

Feeling numb or like a “zombie on autopilot”/Feeling over-sedated

Hallucinations

Hearing Voices

Impaired Judgment

Intrusive thoughts/Excessive negative thinking and feelings of doom

Irrational Thoughts and Behavior

Loss of Creativity

Mania

Memory & Concentration Issues

Monophobia

Mood Swings

Neurocognitive problems

Obsessive compulsive or other “odd” behavior

Paranoia

Personality Changes

Reckless Behavior

Self-Harming Thoughts and Behavior

Stress Intolerance

Suicidal Ideation

PHYSICAL SIGNS

Adrenaline Rushes

Akathisia/Restlessness

Allergies & Sensitivities increasing or developing

Appetite changes

Aura

Blood Pressure Issues, fluctuations

Cardiac Symptoms – Bradycardia (slow heart rate), Tachycardia (rapid heart rate), Heart Palpitations, Pounding heart

Clenching jaw, especially during sleep (TMJ)

Chills

Increased susceptibility to illness, stress on the immune system

Diminished Motor Skills – Clumsiness, Coordination Problems, Difficulty walking, Dropping things, Falling down

Dizziness/Vertigo/Balance Issues (General vestibular disturbances)

Drooling

Dysautonomia Symptoms

Dysphagia (swallowing difficulty)

Earache

Exhaustion

Fainting

Fasciculations (benign)

Fatigue/Lethargy/Weakness

Flu-Like Symptoms

Frequent Urination

Gastrointestinal Symptoms

Grinding Teeth / TMJ problms

Hair Loss

Headaches

Hearing loss or changes

Hormonal Issues

Hyperacusis (sensitivity to sound frequency)

Inner Vibrating or Buzzing

Intolerance to cold and heat

Itching/Skin Rashes/Hives

Joint Pain (And other joint issues)

Lightheaded

Loss of Coordination

Malaise

Menstrual Issues

Migraine with or without aura

Motion sickness susceptibility

Muscle Symptoms – Clenching, Cramping, Loss of muscle tone, Over-or under-active muscle reflexes, Pain, Spasms, Squeezing, Stiffness, Tension, Twitching

Nerve Pain

Paresthesia – Tingling, tickling, prickling, numbness, burning of skin

Perceptual disturbance (feeling of being on a boat, feelings of unreality, deja vu, etc.)

Peripheral Neuropathy

Photophobia

Phonophobia

Respiratory – Shortness of breath, Can’t get deep breath, Labored breathing, Over-breathing

Sensitivity to light and sound

Sensitivity to smells, including naturally occurring smells or chemicals such as fragrance

Sensitivity to temperature, weather and pressure changes

Shaking/Rigors/Tremors

Sleep Issues – Excessive sleeping, Insomnia, Myoclonic jerks, Sleep paralysis, No dreaming, Vivid dreaming, Nightmares

Slurred Speech

Sweats

Tachycardia between doses or in the morning, or generalized

Tight Throat/Ball-in-throat sensation

Tinnitus (Ringing or pulsatile effects in ears)

Tremors

Vision Issues – blurred vision, seeing spots, grainy visions, after-images, sensitivities

Weight Loss

Withdrawal symptoms that will intensify between doses or near dosing times

Source:  w-bad.org

Rev, I think you are doing VERY well, for a cold turkey person. I am so glad for you. Keep up the good work and never give up. The pay offs are so enormous!

east

Hi eastcoast62

Thanks for the encouragement. I suppose I am doing well- the mental panic/fear, the 'what am I doing here' & 'everyone is out to get me' has subsided quite a lot.

The muscle spasms continue and are intensely annoying but am grateful to know that they will pass.

Things that help me are daily exercise, a good family and friends support network, no drinking or other drugs and benzobuddies.

How are you doing?