titration with restoril capsules

[ke...]

I have been on restoril for 6 weeks now for insomnia.

I started at 30mg and then went down to 15mg after 2 weeks. After another week+, I went down to 7.5mg capsules.

I have certainly been having side effects, but I've done a good job tapering.

I am taking trazedone also on top of the restoril for sleep so that I can ween off of the restoril. I have been weening that a little too. I am taking 75mg of trazedone and did a few weeks at 150mg.

I am interested in having less than 7.5mg of restoril. I know that there is powder inside the capsules, but I believe that the restoril may not be evenly spread out. I would like to do something with the powder and use smaller than 7.5mg, something like 6.5mg or less for a few nights to start tapering.

Does anybody have a good plan for this with details on the amount of liquid that I can dissolve it into? I have heard that it doesn't dissolve well in water. I asked for tablets, but they are not available in the restoril.

Thanks,

keets

Hi keets

To titrate 7.5mg restoril = 3.75mg valium you could:

Mix your 7.5mg capsule in 1 cup of liquid.

16 table spoon's = 1 cup, so remove a table spoon every 2-4 days and drink the brew to be off in about 1-2 month's.

For each reduction mix up a new batch using the 7.5mg cap and remove and additional tablespoon to end up at 0 on the final day.

If your symptoms become intolerable just hold or go slower.

If you feel OK just keep moving along.

The 7.5mg is not a large dose so you should have a good recovery in a short time.

Good luck with your taper & keep us posted on how it goes keets.

Teakettle

I took one tablespoon out of a mixture of the restoril capsule contents and 1 cup of goats milk (more fat than the 2% milk that I had on hand). After drinking it, I noticed that there was still a bunch of powder in the bottom of the cup that didn't get mixed around well. I'll try a better method of mixing next time. I don't have a cup with a cover, so I don't know how I am going to shake it up. I'll see if I can do it better tonight.

I put more water in the cup and made sure to injest the remaining powder in the bottom just to be sure.

I don't notice much difference today with 6% or less taken away. Maybe it won't be that hard to ween off of the 7.5mg.

I'll work on  my signature later today too.

Do you think goat's milk is okay? I think it should be the same as whole milk.

Before I fell asleep right after, I had a small worry that I should not have broken the capsule apart. I have heard about some capsules needing to be inside the capsule because it is slow release. I can't imagine that the restoril capsule is slow release. I just want confirmation of this. Seems like if its not mixed well in the cup, you could be getting anywhere from 0% to 100% of the restoril, even with some removed. Any guidelines on how long to shake or mix to have better chances of mixing it throughout the cup of milk?

I might try to drop one tablespoon per night. If there are adverse affects from dropping too quickly, how will I know? What should I look out for?

keets

Hi keets

I can't comment on goats milk as I used non fat cow milk.

I have read that it is best to agitate (stir back and forth) which I did for about 2 minutes for each batch.

The drug does not really dissolve but suspends in the liquid for a short time (so divide your portions quickly after agitation & re shake or agitate before later consumption).

I always had a little residue in the mixing bowl but figured the amount deposited after each batch was minimal and just look at it as part of the reduction ( I never bothered to try to clean out every last speck from containers).

After making the reduction from each daily dose I did add back additional liquid and stir to end up with the same volume for each daily dose and portion through the entire taper/titration.

The keeping total volume of dose regardless of mg content helps with making portions and kind of fools you mind into thinking you are getting something even as you get to real low mg doses.

I used little plastic containers with lids to store each daily batch and shook prior to consumption.

You will know if you are going to fast because your symptoms will become intolerable.

My take on it was as long as I was reducing .01mgK from 1mgK each reduction I was going slow so if I hit a rough patch I just tipped my TIN FOIL hat a little lower over my eyes and moved on.

No mater how you cut it tapering is painful.

Just keep making cuts

The goal is to find a steady slow SWEAT pace and just keep on moving through the VALLEY of BENZO HELL while accepting any symptoms that come along!

Keep moving forward, the worst thing you can do is PANIC and UP DOSE as the 2nd time is likely to be much worse so just accept and keep moving on.

Teakettle