Traveling while titrating v with milk

[Ja...]

Wondering if I should have gone with liquid Valium instead. My doc offered it.

That is absolutely the easiest, most convenient, most reliable option!

How would I begin a microtaper from 15mg using liquid valium? I want to try reducing at .03mg per day.

How would I begin a microtaper from 15mg using liquid valium? I want to try reducing at .03mg per day.

You could  do an all-liquid taper, but at 15mgs, I would suggest a combo of tablets +liquid.  Take 10mg from tablets, the rest from liquid, then lower the liquid dose each day.

Your Diazepam Oral Solution will be 1mg=1ml.  Combine 50ml/mgs with 450ml water.  Now  you have 500ml of dilute solution, .1mg per ml.

Your schedule would be...

10mg tablets                50ml (5mg) liquid

10mg                            49.7ml (4.97mg)

10mg                            49.4ml (4.94mg)

10mg                            49.1ml (4.91mg)

etc....

Just reduce the liquid dose by .3ml (.03mg) each day.

This is one reason why I prefer dry cutting. I make my doses a week or more ahead, can travel with them in pill boxes, and can take them in the middle of a restaurant if I want to, without anyone knowing I am doing anything more than taking a Tylenol. No syringes, no measuring, no bottle to break or leak or look suspicious in an airport. Just putting it out there.

Waves,

My hubby and I are retired recently. This is why I can stay home and do the liquid.

I am doing the Milk.  Builder said the Milk is good and it seems to be working albeit I am only doing the liquid without tapering for 7 days to see if my CNS doesn't go nuts like it did on January 1st when I tried to taper 10% right away.  So no taper for 7 days and then I'll try 5% and see how I react to that.  And if good, I'll inch up more.

But for me, the three doses I make works since I am home most of the time.  And when we go shopping, we do it right after my first dose I took at home.  Or if I have to, I can take the second dose with me in the car.  Winter, it stays cold in the car, Summer I can put it in cooler.

It helps that we are retired.

This is one reason why I prefer dry cutting. I make my doses a week or more ahead, can travel with them in pill boxes, and can take them in the middle of a restaurant if I want to, without anyone knowing I am doing anything more than taking a Tylenol. No syringes, no measuring, no bottle to break or leak or look suspicious in an airport. Just putting it out there.

I have no idea how to dry cut my Valium. This is the point where I’m getting overwhelmed and despairing again. I was doing a milk titration a few days with all the supplies I bought. Now I realize this issue about travel. Maybe I should cancel my trip? I’m supposed to give a research presentation at a conference in Toronto in April. Then fly to the east coast for the summer later on. I live in California.

I have no idea how to dry cut my Valium. This is the point where I’m getting overwhelmed and despairing again. I was doing a milk titration a few days with all the supplies I bought. Now I realize this issue about travel. Maybe I should cancel my trip? I’m supposed to give a research presentation at a conference in Toronto in April. Then fly to the east coast for the summer later on. I live in California.

I guess I really don't see the problem?

Just buy some milk in Toronto, and prepare you solution when you get there.

I guess I really don't see the problem?

Just buy some milk in Toronto, and prepare you solution when you get there.

Hi have a connecting flight in Dallas so it’s a long day of travel I’d be looking at well over 12 hours between doses. Is that doable?

Seems totally doable.

Sorry for chiming in about dry cutting. I definitely didn't want to cause overwhelm or despair! In fact I was trying to reduce those feelings! Just reminding folks there is another option. Glad the milk titration is working for you so far. Hope you can enjoy your trip, even if it is for work.

Seems totally doable.

Sorry for chiming in about dry cutting. I definitely didn't want to cause overwhelm or despair! In fact I was trying to reduce those feelings! Just reminding folks there is another option. Glad the milk titration is working for you so far. Hope you can enjoy your trip, even if it is for work.

The despair is not your fault. No worries there.

I’ve been struggling with this all day and driving myself crazy. Fear and depression are hitting me hard right now. I haven’t started tapering yet and already have the feeling of wanting to give up. Wish this was easy as going to rehab. Wish I didn’t have to deal with the uncertainty of, Can I successfully get off these meds or will I fail? What will I lose along the way? This forum shows people suffer for years and lose a lot. I stand to lose a lot. I’m only at the beginning. I’m worried about traveling to Toronto in April but I don’t even know if I’ll be functional enough to give a research presentation.

For now I think I need to stick with my milk and worry about other stuff like travel later.

I could also take my pill portion of the dose and just delay the milk portion till Toronto. Sound good?

It is unlikely a 12 hour span between doses would cause any issue with diazepam.  The common dosing protocol is 2X day anyway.  And many folks do just fine on 1X day.

Yes, if you feel the need to dose during your travel/layover, take a partial dose with a tablet.

And finally, they sell milk in every airport I have ever been in.  ;)

Seems totally doable.

I’ve been struggling with this all day and driving myself crazy. Fear and depression are hitting me hard right now. I haven’t started tapering yet and already have the feeling of wanting to give up. Wish this was easy as going to rehab. Wish I didn’t have to deal with the uncertainty of, Can I successfully get off these meds or will I fail? What will I lose along the way? This forum shows people suffer for years and lose a lot. I stand to lose a lot. I’m only at the beginning. I’m worried about traveling to Toronto in April but I don’t even know if I’ll be functional enough to give a research presentation.

For now I think I need to stick with my milk and worry about other stuff like travel later.

Jared,

I understand feeling the way you do. I went through it myself. But it is important to remember that some of these things you are feeling is just your brain misfiring as it struggles to heal itself. Try to process these feelings through that filter. Ask yourself, "does this feel like me? Is this how I would normally feel when faced with a challenge?" You may not be able to make the feelings go away, but it makes them more manageable to see them for what they are.

You are going to get through this. A percentage of people struggle while tapering off of these drugs. We don't really know what percentage but based on the way doctors act as if they are the outliers, we can guess it is less than 50%. A much smaller percentage struggle "for years". We don't even know yet if you even fall into the first group, so why make the leap to fearing you are in the next?!

All we know so far is that you were unable to cold turkey after 10 years of Xanax. I would say that puts you in a group that is more like 99%, yeah? That seems obvious in retrospect, right? So you are part of the 99%. Let's take this a step at a time, start your slow gentle taper, and not assume anything. Odds are dramatically in your favor that if you do this slowly and gently, you will have few if any problems removing the drug.

However, you do have to live through this period of acute withdrawal. It could last another month or even two, but you should be feeling more like yourself by April. Lean on this, believe in this. Tell yourself everyday, "I am going to be okay." Because you will.

My story is different than yours. Every story is different. But i was up to 0.75mg of K when I cut 2/3 of my dose, not knowing what the consequences would be. That is equivalent to the amount of Valium you are taking right now. I flailed around, unsure of what to do, but eventually started tapering at half that amount (0.375). My acute lasted almost 3 months, but I tapered slowly during this time. After 3 months, I felt almost normal, and have continued my taper with few symptoms. I am currently at 0.1625, which is equivalent to 3.25mg Valium. The purpose of me sharing my story is not to assure you that yours will play out the same. The point is that I felt exactly the way you feel now. I feared the worst case scenario, too. But that is not my reality. And chances are it won't be yours, either.

Seems totally doable.

Jared,

I understand feeling the way you do. I went through it myself. But it is important to remember that some of these things you are feeling is just your brain misfiring as it struggles to heal itself. Try to process these feelings through that filter. Ask yourself, "does this feel like me? Is this how I would normally feel when faced with a challenge?" You may not be able to make the feelings go away, but it makes them more manageable to see them for what they are.

You are going to get through this. A percentage of people struggle while tapering off of these drugs. We don't really know what percentage but based on the way doctors act as if they are the outliers, we can guess it is less than 50%. A much smaller percentage struggle "for years". We don't even know yet if you even fall into the first group, so why make the leap to fearing you are in the next?!

All we know so far is that you were unable to cold turkey after 10 years of Xanax. I would say that puts you in a group that is more like 99%, yeah? That seems obvious in retrospect, right? So you are part of the 99%. Let's take this a step at a time, start your slow gentle taper, and not assume anything. Odds are dramatically in your favor that if you do this slowly and gently, you will have few if any problems removing the drug.

However, you do have to live through this period of acute withdrawal. It could last another month or even two, but you should be feeling more like yourself by April. Lean on this, believe in this. Tell yourself everyday, "I am going to be okay." Because you will.

My story is different than yours. Every story is different. But i was up to 0.75mg of K when I cut 2/3 of my dose, not knowing what the consequences would be. That is equivalent to the amount of Valium you are taking right now. I flailed around, unsure of what to do, but eventually started tapering at half that amount (0.375). My acute lasted almost 3 months, but I tapered slowly during this time. After 3 months, I felt almost normal, and have continued my taper with few symptoms. I am currently at 0.1625, which is equivalent to 3.25mg Valium. The purpose of me sharing my story is not to assure you that yours will play out the same. The point is that I felt exactly the way you feel now. I feared the worst case scenario, too. But that is not my reality. And chances are it won't be yours, either.

Thanks. I appreciate your words.

Seems totally doable.

Jared,

You mentioned I’m in acute withdrawal now from the switch to Valium, and maybe I’ll be feeling more myself around April. Would you recommend I wait til April to start my microtaper? Or is it okay if I start microtapering in a week or two if I go slow? I’m at 15mg and was thinking to do .03mg reductions per day. My depression and fear have been nutty lately but I’ve still been going to work and teaching college classes.

All things considered, you are doing amazingly well, which I would take as a sign of things to come. Yeah, it might be difficult, but, to use your word, doable. It really is a personal decision what to do while you are recovering. I think holding for a short period (2-3 weeks maybe?) is probably a good idea since you just started doing the milk for part of your dose, to give your body some time to get used to that. But after that, it's up to you. I am the kind of person who hates standing still, so I would start tapering at a very slow rate and then slowly speed it up as I started feeling better.