Why do you guys think you are not sleeping? Is it because you never feel sleepy?

[St...]

I literally feel like I could stay up for days...I mean, yes my body gets tired but I never feel sleepy like I used to. Is this normal?

Its very normal. Go to bed anyway and stay in bed at regular hours. Allow your body to rest whether you fall asleep or not.  This is my advice after dealing with WD insomnia.

Stacey,

What you describe is what withdrawal is all about. Taking too much benzos causes your brain to temporarily lose the ability to calm itself down. You are left in a state of constant alertness because the part of your brain that is wired to react to danger is allowed to run unchecked. Things will eventually balance out.

Yes thanks you guys! Sometimes you tell yourself you know you’re going through withdrawl but then all of a sudden you start doubting it again. Just wanted to make sure this is all part of it. I’ve been off 8 months and it seems like it should be getting better but it’s not. The sleep is getting a little better but that sleepy feeling hasn’t returned yet.

Hi Stacey, it does get better over time... lots and lots of time... I am 27 months out and it's still improving for me

Are you feeling sleepy now and can you nap?

Stacy, this stuff is totally normal. I think almost everyone who goes off a benzo has insomnia. It is SO common. Benzos numb your brain, letting you relax and also to sleep. That is why I took benzos, for chronic insomnia. When I went CT I did not sleep normally for a year. What helped me was listen to sleep hypnosis stuff on You Tube. You do not watch them, you just listen.

Early on I listened to Paul Ogilivy's sleep hypnosis stuff. He is a person who used to have drug/alcohol issues. He has a soft comforting  voice. But I ended up preferring Jodi Whitely's sleep hypnosis videos. I just like her voice. She used to have alcohol problems. I can forward Paul's website to you, if you wish. Just PM me, okay?

I agree with what others have told you. It might be hekpful to Google "Sleep Hygiene" ( I know, awful name! UGH!) and review the basic principals. There are manyt safe things one can do to promote sleep. But unfortunately, when someone goes off benzos, normal sleep may be disrupted for quite a while.

east

Hi Stacey, it does get better over time... lots and lots of time... I am 27 months out and it's still improving for me

Are you feeling sleepy now and can you nap?

Yes I can nap! And sometimes around bedtime I feel sleepy, though not as drowsy as I used to before Benzos. Most nights I am able to get 6-7 hours of sleep and on a very good night I sleep 8 hours! But the sleep quality is still not what it used to be. I used to be a very deep sleeper before Benzos. I'm hoping to get back to the deep sleeper I used to be.

Hey teegirl

Did you have dreamy sleep throughout .I tend to hit them sleep instantly in like sec , then I wake up after 2 hr then if lucky again I'll fall back and lucid dream ?

Was your experience about sleep the same like mine