Can not fall asleep!!!

[ts...]

I've been tapering off of .5mg Klonopin (nightly for insomnia, over 6 years).  I've been getting through the taper, until I reached .125mg.  The insomnia started to get worse.  I even broke that dose in half for a week, and I've had totally sleepless nights.  Last night I tried cbd oil ,antihistamines and melatonin, and could not fall asleep.  After many nights of this, I broke down and took a small dose of Xanax (that I have for as needed).  I hate that I gave in to it.  But can't function and take care of kids if I don't sleep.  Any suggestions on what to take to help fall asleep?  (and get rid of the buzzy brain and internal tremors)  I found a new psychiatrist yesterday who prescribed Seroquel, but I'm too afraid to take it.  Another internal med dr suggested Celexa (which I think makes insomnia worse) and medical marijuana.  Any advice?  I'm feeling desperate.

Did you try medical marijuana yet?

It helped when I was in a legal state (nothing else did), but now I'm in illegal state again and wish I could have some medical marijuana to get at least a couple hours of sleep.

Did you try medical marijuana yet?

It helped when I was in a legal state (nothing else did), but now I'm in illegal state again and wish I could have some medical marijuana to get at least a couple hours of sleep.

I have an appointment to discuss it at the end of next month.  I'm the kid who avoided smoking pot back in high school, so this is so out of character for me, and my husband laughs at the thought.  I've had 2 doctors, and a therapist recommend it to me, and at this point, I'm desperate for sleep, so we'll see what happens, and I'll report back.

Read to Ashton manual they do recommend antidepressants Remeron is one that helps your sleep and helps with depression you can talk to the people in Colorado and nonprofit organization called realm of caring they may be able to help you with the CBD oil you need to fall sleep. Just a sidenote Remeron is an atypical antidepressant . Yes I understand you need to be functional because you have children again talk to your doctor about an antidepressant but do your research first some antidepressants are hard to come off of as well such as Cymbalta Paxil and Effexor. 

Just another sidenote you might have to step back and hold for a while stabilize and then taper slowly or as Ashton manual recommends add an antidepressant for 2 to 3 weeks to stabilize and then finish her tapering the Ashton manual is a guide you taper off depending on how you feel again this is a personal decision on how bad you want get off the Benzos  That’s why were all here we want to get off the poison for good but there is some pain involved with moving forward but I take it you’re a tough person since you’re here at the site looking for help you’ll make it through.  Through my readings of people getting off antidepressants they needed to get help outside the house with their children while going through with drawl so you might have to make a plan with some of your friends to take your kids to school etc. have your mother help you whatever it takes but before you plunge make a plan and who’s going to help you with your kids while you’re going through with drawls if they get that bad .

Just another sidenote you might have to step back and hold for a while stabilize and then taper slowly or as Ashton manual recommends add an antidepressant for 2 to 3 weeks to stabilize and then finish her tapering the Ashton manual is a guide you taper off depending on how you feel again this is a personal decision on how bad you want get off the Benzos  That’s why were all here we want to get off the poison for good but there is some pain involved with moving forward but I take it you’re a tough person since you’re here at the site looking for help you’ll make it through.  Through my readings of people getting off antidepressants they needed to get help outside the house with their children while going through with drawl so you might have to make a plan with some of your friends to take your kids to school etc. have your mother help you whatever it takes but before you plunge make a plan and who’s going to help you with your kids while you’re going through with drawls if they get that bad .

Thanks for your response.  There is an internal med doc that wants me to take Celexa.  I've never had any good experiences with antidepressants, but I'm willing to try.  So I think I may go back up a little in Klonopin, and try the Celexa.  This is the same dr who suggested medical marijuana.  As for Remeron, I tried it and it made me so bloated, didn't sleep real well on it, and made me feel angry.  I've tried a lot of meds in the past with no luck, and so would just stick with Klonopin for anxiety and sleep.  I thought I could tough this out, but there's only so long that we can go without sleep!  Unfortunately, I don't have any support aside from my husband. 

Why don't you just taper slower? Cutting from 0.125 to 0.0625 is pretty drastic. Why not just slow it down and avoid complications with other drugs?

Why don't you just taper slower? Cutting from 0.125 to 0.0625 is pretty drastic. Why not just slow it down and avoid complications with other drugs?

I agree and went back up to .125mg, and it didn't work!!  I'll try again tonight, but I feel like I may have to increase more.  I'm so worried and frustrated that I can't find a doctor to help me.  Just went to a new psychiatrist that recommended Seroquel.  I'm afraid to try an antipsychotic.  I feel like I can tough it out through the daytime anxiety, I just need to be able to fall asleep.

I would recommend against the other meds. I know it is hard to accept but once you have tapered too fast, the only thing that will make you feel okay again is time. People tend to be extremely sensitive during withdrawal, so adding medications often cause additional complications and can compound the damage done. If anything, you can go back to 0.25mg  (not all the way back to 0.50mg) and hold. While you recover, you can use meditation, relaxation exercises, low dose melatonin, etc, but all this will only help, it will not fix. I have been through this myself so I speak from experience. Flailing around trying different things will not make it better, and it might make it worse. Acceptance and patience are your friends, and the support this site can offer. When you are ready to slow taper from either 0.25 or 0.125, we can help with a reasonable schedule. PM me anytime if you want to talk. Sorry you have to go through this.

I would recommend against the other meds. I know it is hard to accept but once you have tapered too fast, the only thing that will make you feel okay again is time. People tend to be extremely sensitive during withdrawal, so adding medications often cause additional complications and can compound the damage done. If anything, you can go back to 0.25mg  (not all the way back to 0.50mg) and hold. While you recover, you can use meditation, relaxation exercises, low dose melatonin, etc, but all this will only help, it will not fix. I have been through this myself so I speak from experience. Flailing around trying different things will not make it better, and it might make it worse. Acceptance and patience are your friends, and the support this site can offer. When you are ready to slow taper from either 0.25 or 0.125, we can help with a reasonable schedule. PM me anytime if you want to talk. Sorry you have to go through this.

Thank you.  Yes, that's me, flailing around!!!  In a desperate panic for sleep.  I have an awful cold hot burning feeling all over, all the time, but I can deal with it.  The insomnia is too much.  It's severe.  I feel like I don't have much choice but to go back up. 

I understand. I dropped from 0.75 to 0.25, then ended up going back up to 0.375 to stabilize. I tried 0.50 first and felt worse! So I recommend not going up more than to 0.25. Even if you go back to 0.50, believe it or not it won't fix it. Better to keep some of your progress. Check out the insomnia board for suggestions on sleep. And again, I am happy to talk anytime. :)

TS,

You are something like me and I did not fast taper.

I would not touch mirtazapine.

Like you have never been good on ADs and can't tolerate antihistamines.  I don't know what to say.  At least you have a husband...