Just started titration taper - already stuck

[Bu...]

I have just started titration taper of 0.5mg Klonopin which I have taken for 8 months. I started with 1% reduction per day and now down 8%. I am having what I think is terrible withdrawal symptoms already and have now stopped at 0.46mg.

Is 7%/week reduction too much? I am historically very sensitive to drugs like SSRI when going on and off so I might be one of those who need a very slow taper.

What do you recommend? 5% per week or even less?

My main symptom is a horrible shortness of breath, anxiety and overall zombie feeling, tingling in fingers and toes and sleep problems.

The shortness of breath actually started before tapering so I am wondering if this also is a side effect of Klonopin itself or if I started having intra dose withdrawal before starting my tapering.

So many questions in my mind right now.... I am scared to death because I feel I can not live with these withdrawal symtoms for months and months to come.

[40...]

If the rate you are currently using is causing issues then it needs to be adjusted downward. I would go back to the .5mg dose, hold until you feel better, then proceed at a lower reduction rate.

For a better response from someone, please include the ratio of mg to ml you are using and what agent you are using to create your liquid. Dosing information is also helpful.

Full fat homogeneous milk is an option also if you are not lactose intolerant. K and full fat homogeneous milk create and even and extremely reliable emulsion.

Lastly, when switching to liquid dosing, it is advised to make the switch but not to start tapering for a week or so, to ensure your body adjusted to this type of dosing.

I have just started titration taper of 0.5mg Klonopin which I have taken for 8 months. I started with 1% reduction per day and now down 8%. I am having what I think is terrible withdrawal symptoms already and have now stopped at 0.46mg.

Is 7%/week reduction too much? I am historically very sensitive to drugs like SSRI when going on and off so I might be one of those who need a very slow taper.

My main symptom is a horrible shortness of breath, anxiety and overall zombie feeling, tingling in fingers and toes and sleep problems.

The shortness of breath actually started before tapering so I am wondering if this also is a side effect of Klonopin itself or if I started having intra dose withdrawal before starting my tapering.

So many questions in my mind right now.... I am scared to death because I feel I can not live with these withdrawal symtoms for months and months to come.

That's a really aggressive taper rate. (That's 30% per month) I'm not surprised your having difficulty. 

The recommended range is usually around 5-8% per 7-10 days.  I would start at 5%/days, and work up if you feel you might be able to go faster.

If the rate you are currently using is causing issues then it needs to be adjusted downward. I would go back to the .5mg dose, hold until you feel better, then proceed at a lower reduction rate.

For a better response from someone, please include the ratio of mg to ml you are using and what agent you are using to create your liquid. Dosing information is also helpful.

Full fat homogeneous milk is an option also if you are not lactose intolerant. K and full fat homogeneous milk create and even and extremely reliable emulsion.

Lastly, when switching to liquid dosing, it is advised to make the switch but not to start tapering for a week or so, to ensure your body adjusted to this type of dosing.

I am using Vodka for my liquid. (2ml vodka / 1mg Klonopin). I tried PG first, but felt very sick on it. Vodka works better for me.

I have created a solution with the ratio 10ml / 0.5mg Klonopin. Every cut i do with my syringe is 0.2ml = 0.01mg Klonopin = 2%.

Please advice if you have any better suggestions. I am very grateful for all help I can get.

That's a really aggressive taper rate. (That's 30% per month) I'm not surprised your having difficulty. 

The recommended range is usually around 5-8% per 7-10 days.  I would start at 5%/days, and work up if you feel you might be able to go faster.

Thanks, my taper plan of 7% per 7 days is within your recommended range, but it is on the more aggressive side. I will try with 5% per 10 days which is half if my current taper rate.

• 2 weeks later...