Keto Diet Support Group

[Gr...]

I’ve realised that since I went Keto 33 days ago, I can now dream and wake up without remembering the whole dream and feeling disturbed or freaked out  by them for hours or days later but am aware I have dreamt. I am now able to able to sit at PC without shutting the light from the window out which I haven’t been able to do for a few years and feel excited and hopeful about healing more now.

I am also looking more at going Carnivore I eat carnivore for breakfast and Lunch as from yesterday nearly raw steak yesterday ( Blue steak) and  rare homemade lamb burgers  made from plain minced lamb just rolled into a ball flattened by hand then popped into the pan for breakfast today . I did add some leaf lard to the pan but the fat on the lamb its self would have been enough I realised after as they cooked. 

And the other thing I noticed is if I go to get something  from another room or the kitchen I’m actually doing more stuff than I planned  like cleaning up mess instead of grabbing the object I was after and retreating to bed or sat for hours on the PC trying desperately to distract myself.

I have more energy, and I don’t crash out after eating I’m but still not able to get out walking or do any exercise yet as I’m intolerant to it but able to move about home more freely. Morning anxiety is giving way to more of a piss off as I can’t just get up and go out at will or do something more energetic right now, but hey its early days yet and its progress.

Also the other thing is I’ve been far to ill to even considered having my home decorated I’ve been here 17months now and  it looks like an effing building site in here where I had work done and then was too unwell to have it  finished by having it decorated or any floor covering put down.  And plus, I’m hypersensitive to smells so paintings out of the question but I’ve begun thinking about decorating at least getting some wall papering done.

Which is a change in thought to how much I hate the place and how much I regretted moving here, and thinking I’m going to die here in a shit hole I really hate continuously.  Also, my ruminating thoughts aren’t as bad as they were, they were hell keep and my paranoia is also dropping down quite a bit too, so it appears that I’m making some head way in the mental realm, small thing but big when you’re in our position.

And I am also aware its not going to be an over night miracle as it does swing up and down, but I notice bit by bit that I’m no longer dwelling on certain things continuously it was making me crazy now it comes and goes. Physically some days are a bit better than others and pain levels drop way down but then hit me full force again but as I said its early days yet.

I’ve done a shit load of research on keto and Carnivore and its common for it to take weeks or months before you see any results and to go up and down physically, mentally

spiritually and weight wise before stabilizing. So just like ALL healing doesn’t think it’s not working when you start to feel like hell, I nearly fell for that one regarding this diet as I had a good day then day after day of hell and was going to jack it in.

But then I did a lot more researching and decided to hang on in there and I’m glad I did. Lots of people said that Adaption sucks doing Keto and Carnivore, and that’s from people who have never taken drug.  But there are also lots of people who were on Benzos and anti-depressants who thought they’d never be able to taper and get off them ever but did. 

And others who were off them suffering got well and got their life back and the number of people who said they were suffering from depression and anxiety or insomnia or mental problems but have recovered using keto or carnivore is unreal. So is the number of people that healed from brain cancer, brain damage, and other so called ‘’uncurable terminal ‘’ painful illnesses.

People just like all of us who thought they would never heal or be well again and had given up all hope of any change or feeling good ever again Like everything else you can

also tweak it to suit yourself nothing should be set in stone but the one golden rule with Keto is keep the carbs LOW.

No more than 50-to- 20 net grams a day no sugar, no fruit due to fruit sugar, no starchy veggies plenty of above the ground ones especially green ones. I eat a lot more protein than I’m supposed too a LOT of fatty meat, butter on food use lard to cook and eat the fat I cook the meat in or that comes off the meat during cooking by pouring it over the food on my plate.

Or out the pan cold and solid its really tasty and has nutrition from the meat in it too and I’m maintaining my weight I lost 5lbs but didn’t want to lose weight as I’m now at the ideal weight for my height but the 5lbs was cool as I’m not underweight and still at a good weight for my height . Also my body composition is changing I've lost a few inches off my butt Without losing scale weight, my bust size has increased and my waist is a few inches smaller

I no longer weigh everything I eat only the carbs when  I eat them , and I keep them under 20 grams which is easy now I know what’s what and I’ve been at it for 33 days at first it was bloody stressful weighing EVERYTHING and recording it but I do it by instinct now and its easy .

And I eat a lot more protein and fat than my so called ‘’allowance’’ and I don’t count bloody calories either, and its working for me small but significant changes I use Celtic sea 

salt for electrolytes( at the least two to 3 grams a day I add some to water in a bottle and drink it)  but may start supplementing if need be, but that’s not a definite   

I eat my carbs at dinner with butter on the carbs and I also I eat fatty meat for protein and fat and I also try to eat within a 9- or 12-hour window but sometimes I’ve eaten outside it and its still okay. If I feel hungry at 9pm I don’t care I eat something usually meat with butter I can’t go to sleep if I’m hungry.

Also need to be addressed pooping, some people get constipation and others get the squirts but constipation is more common on keto due to the fibre but does happen on Carnivore too for a while until fully  fat adapted in both scenario’s  . Anyway, do your research and be ready for possibly spending a bit of time feeling shitty some people fly through it no problem others feel rough for a while. A couple of times I feel like I was dying but held on when i really wanted to give up and  hopefully the improvements will keep steadily coming along.

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...
I’m 3.5 months in Quito. I’ve lost 32.8 pounds and 35 inches. I am more motivated to keep my house clean, I only eat twice a day between the hours of 12 and six, I’m dreaming at night again, I wake up more rested, and I feel more energy throughout the day than before. I’m excited about what the next three months will bring. Also my vision seems more crisp and colors seem more vivid.

Thanks for starting this thread. Hey all.

I started keto a few days ago and it pushed me into a bit of a wave. It’s slowed a bit now.

I do notice that my heart is pounding a bit and i feel weak. I’ve been putting pink Himalayan salt in water with some lemon juice for electrolytes. Do you guys have any advice for magnesium depletion without using a supplement? Last time i tried it revved me up...afraid to try again.

Locotus-really nice to hear you’ve had some good results with this. Fingers crossed that it helps. I’m afraid of it raising cortisol levels.

I’m trying to go as plant based keto as i can. I’m open to fish, eggs, chicken and beef but want to incorporate lots of veggies. I’d like to stay away from dairy and processed foods and meats as much as possible! I’m picking up the urine strips tomorrow...hopefully I’m not messing everything up with too many veggies.

Same to me, my heart woke me up and I was feeling weak, took some electrolytes and calmed everything, but to be honest I cut it off...I am eating a lot of veggies still but didn’t cut all the carbs. Still doing low carb eating

Blossom

• 7 months later...

I just started Valium a few days ago(8. desember). I plan to start to taper soon.

I have been in Keto since 1. desember. I fear it is a bad combo. Any experience with this combo? IS it dangerous?

• 2 weeks later...

I am preparing to go keto - currently cutting out grains and sugar, which is hard enough!

I haven't been able to find an anti-seizure med that I can tolerate and I'm hoping that the keto diet will help. (I was prescribed Klonopin for epilepsy.)

I have been vegetarian for 43 years but am willing to at least add poultry to my diet.

• 2 weeks later...
I am not doing keto anymore, but I pretty much have cut out most sugar and use honey instead, which seems to not bother me at all.  I did do keto for about 6 weeks, with some cheat days, and I will say that it reduced my migraine headaches SO MUCH.  I seriously just do not get migraine headaches every month any more.  I also seem to tolerate flashing lights more, without developing a headache.  I don't think being keto long term is healthy, but I think it serves it's purpose to reset some things in our bodies.

• 4 weeks later...
I just joined Benzo Buddies, saw this group just browsing around.  I have been eating LCHF for 4 years now.  It's fine, I am used to it.  Usually about 30 grams of carbs a day, in summer more fruit and veg so maybe 50 grams.

• 2 weeks later...
My issue with keto and carnivore comes down to pallet. Whenever I eat these hot meals with meat that are oily with fat and stuff, my mouth and brain just screams at me afterwards to eat something sweet and cool...like ice cream! Even healthy cold fruit after like a mango or whatever would probly knock me out of ketosis. I also found that my gut wasnt used to the oil without bread. Like with bacon and eggs i used to have it on toast etc. Does this go away? I only lasted 2 days last time.

• 10 months later...
I’m thinking of trying this diet, does anyone have any feedback on sleep while ur body adjusts? Insomnia is my worst sxs so don’t want anymore of that. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I've noticed many of the people from this thread are no longer active... I'd say that's a positive sign... maybe?

I'm about to dive in a try the keto diet.  I figure it can't hurt to try it at this point.  Curious if anyone has updates or experience on keto.

I did keto for about 6 weeks, and it really helped my migraines.  I am not sure if it was from keto as I now think it might be from restricting sugar and carbs, which is almost keto, but either way, it really helped me have less frequent migraines and I am really happy with that result. 

• 3 months later...

How did it go? I had to abort on the first day because I got really light-headed. I'm gonna try to ease into it which I've never had to do before. Is there anything benzos dying fuck with?

I've noticed many of the people from this thread are no longer active... I'd say that's a positive sign... maybe?

I'm about to dive in a try the keto diet.  I figure it can't hurt to try it at this point.  Curious if anyone has updates or experience on keto.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey Rebecca,

I hope some of the old crew here pop back on and say hi, and how they are going..

-Should be a wealth of info between them..

Me too. Old crew -- please come back so we can discuss this!

I am shocked, to be honest. I am four days into doing keto as a beginner, and symptoms seem to have shifted--especially the akathisia. I am doing a keto/carnivore diet combo, I guess, with regenerative meats, ancestral blends, etc. It costs a fortune, but I would pay any amount of money at this point to regain health and wellness.

My intention in this diet change is to reduce symptoms, gain weight, and stabilize to more quickly and easily taper the last 28.5mg of Seroquel I have been on.

And I am not doing this 100 percent correctly yet. I have been trying to figure this all out. I was 118 lbs -- 20 lbs lighter from the benzo illness. This morning, I weighed in at 127.5 lbs, which means I still have ten pounds to gain. I jumped three pounds in the last four days. I am sure some of this weight is water retention. I noticed my lower legs and ankles were swollen, probably from the salt of the new food. But what's a little swelling compared to the biblical symptoms of psych med withdrawal?

Yesterday was the first day in six months, twenty-two days I did not wake up in complete chemical terror. Same with this morning. Something has shifted. I have been able to "sleep in" the last two days, which is remarkable. I have not gotten up 3-15 times a night to put an ice pack on my chest to try to sleep because of inner vibration and akathisia.

The internal vibration the last couple of days is the mildest it has been. I felt like I could breathe more than I had been able to. Like I could catch a breath without my diaphragm twisting all day long from muscle spasms. I could take a walk and not feel like an alien in the world — but more like myself before this. Pins and needles on the skin are way better.

I took a bath and could feel the relaxation of the bath for the first time since this nightmare began. I was able to watch a documentary for about 30 minutes two different times. It was the first taste of some normalcy in months. I felt some relaxation today — not much but some. And that counts. I think the diet must be helping…it is the only thing I have changed.

So I am creating a meal plan for keto/carnivore that I can follow daily. How did you do this? I am told to do 125g fat, 80g protein, and 20-30g carb. But what if you want to gain weight? How does this work?

Me too. Old crew -- please come back so we can discuss this!

I am shocked, to be honest. I am four days into doing keto as a beginner, and symptoms seem to have shifted--especially the akathisia. I am doing a keto/carnivore diet combo, I guess, with regenerative meats, ancestral blends, etc. It costs a fortune, but I would pay any amount of money at this point to regain health and wellness.

My intention in this diet change is to reduce symptoms, gain weight, and stabilize to more quickly and easily taper the last 28.5mg of Seroquel I have been on.

And I am not doing this 100 percent correctly yet. I have been trying to figure this all out. I was 118 lbs -- 20 lbs lighter from the benzo illness. This morning, I weighed in at 127.5 lbs, which means I still have ten pounds to gain. I jumped three pounds in the last four days. I am sure some of this weight is water retention. I noticed my lower legs and ankles were swollen, probably from the salt of the new food. But what's a little swelling compared to the biblical symptoms of psych med withdrawal?

Yesterday was the first day in six months, twenty-two days I did not wake up in complete chemical terror. Same with this morning. Something has shifted. I have been able to "sleep in" the last two days, which is remarkable. I have not gotten up 3-15 times a night to put an ice pack on my chest to try to sleep because of inner vibration and akathisia.

The internal vibration the last couple of days is the mildest it has been. I felt like I could breathe more than I had been able to. Like I could catch a breath without my diaphragm twisting all day long from muscle spasms. I could take a walk and not feel like an alien in the world — but more like myself before this. Pins and needles on the skin are way better.

I took a bath and could feel the relaxation of the bath for the first time since this nightmare began. I was able to watch a documentary for about 30 minutes two different times. It was the first taste of some normalcy in months. I felt some relaxation today — not much but some. And that counts. I think the diet must be helping…it is the only thing I have changed.

So I am creating a meal plan for keto/carnivore that I can follow daily. How did you do this? I am told to do 125g fat, 80g protein, and 20-30g carb. But what if you want to gain weight? How does this work?

Thats just so wow..!! -and relatable..!!

Mine became a neural inflammatory pathway..

Bear in Mind it took me like 10 months to transition to Carnivore (Plants became very toxic for a while).. And that involved some intense support from someone in the know, and my Dr who has special interest in this area also..

For me it was simple, -Follow a couple of the big Youtubers and podcasts, and just eat Carnivore whateva..!!

K did make me bone broth early on, but 2 months on, it’s only just becoming ok now, so I really did just eat what I felt like over the last year as I faded everything else out.. I stuck with some fruit for carbs (bigger story there), but my body naturally faded everything asides animal produce out..

We eat heaps of Tbone, steak, Bacon eggs, lamb, chicken, and K -seafood and a bit more organ meat. We don’t get fussy about it.. We love every aspect and count our blessings daily..!!

So I’m trying to possibly lose 25kg to ideal, and it’s slowly dropping off about -1kg a week.. I eat when hungry, and till I’m well sated.. That can be once or 3 times a day.. I’m 106kg..

K is pretty petite (just below 60kg) but in a massive resistance based training programme, so trying to nearly maintain weight but gain muscle.. I sent her a mid day pic of a cooking Tbone, and she hit me straight back with 2 Tbones and 2 eggs in her pan..!! (Just to highlight difference)..

K joined a heap of Carnivore/Keto support groups, and beginner groups, but there is a professional aspect to her doing that also, -Still, they help her in her limited time available, whereas I tend to dig into the whole discussion more for my help and understanding.. Doubt there is a right or wrong way…

Share me one of your meals when you can..!!

-I will get bored with steak n eggs soon enough..!! :)

Actually iv got pork ribs marinating in with some mushed plumbs and a tiny bit of honey.. (a little bit of a cheat there) :)

Hi Can't  :hug: glad is working for you  :thumbsup:  I did Carnivore strict for 5 months after starting with keto, stopped keto as sticking to macros constantly weighing stuff to stick within the required macros  was too stressful, and went full on carnivore which is a LOT easier just eat meat  but had to give it up as I suffer with bad constipation and that just made it a whole lot worse I was gutted as I loved eating just meat .  :(

I would love to be able to go back to it makes life and ordering food deliveries as I'm housebound a lot easier but my constipation is too bad, I was still eating meat everyday but have had to cut that back as the red meat I love is the worst, I think its the iron in it :tickedoff:

I eat Lamb and mutton, ( I LOVE fatty meat) and chicken I can't eat Beef it gave me really bad restless legs, worse then normal , I love fish and sea food but had to stop eating that too as I can't tolerate it at all and I prefer fish and sea food to meat, my food sensitivities are really bad no matter what I eat most of the time now    :tickedoff:

I'd be very interested to hear in  more detail about how you personally  did 10 months to transition to Carnivore, that's  if you don't mind going a bit deeper and more detailed on the subject , what you did how you were when you started, any problems you may have faced before and during when the benefits began  etc, every thing and anything you can think of :) Cheers mate  :mybuddy:

Nova  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

By the way the other thing I do is save all the animal fat for cooking with I freeze it until needed I also use grass fed butter and pastured lard I used to make it myself when I was able too but have had to buy it as I'm too fkd up to do my own  :( I've also eaten organic grass fed for life meat and drank  bottled spring water from organic land for year's now.

Nova  :smitten:

What about electrolytes? I’m scared to try them. Keto Chow was suggested. I’m almost seven months off of benzos but seem sensitive to everything I never was sensitive to.

Hey Nova Sista…!! -Sorry, has been a minute.. (busy doing boy stuff)..

Just quick now cos it’s after midnight, but you’ll remember constipation, or probs more correctly, gastro paralysis, was the regulating factor of my whole taper, health, and function..!!

It was one of the big reasons I kept certain fruits in my diet so long as I slowly transitioned..

My transition was far more just cutting out crap and highly processed foods..

The further I got into it, the more of a toxic reaction to a lot of veggies..

Things are still certainly evolving, and my last pain med reduction brought my GI to a standstill..!!

Odd that the stricter I am on eating meat the better my GI works in all areas.. Think that might have been time and physical activity, but I wouldn’t exclude things like vibrational frequency, thought and feeling..

I do feel this is all only a part of the wholistic big picture, and it appears to have been huge that it all came together like it did in a perfect storm..

But Kate was pretty quick to point out that it was all stemming from effort and change I had put in consistently over several years..

What I’m just realising is this wholistic health is a full time job, and that’s with the two of us working in concert and Kate bringing so much to the table..

Sorry, gotta sleep, big day tomorrow…