Keto Diet Support Group

[Gr...]

Yes, Mamoot is correct.  Intermittent Fasting is not as hard as you think.

Stop eating at 4 or 5 or 6 or even 7 pm.  Then go to bed, when you wake up you have the MCT Oil and grass fed butter in your tea.  It satiates you, so that you are not hungry.  Drink good water even before the tea.  I take my Amino Acids on an empty stomach in the morning, so I drink a lot of water.  Alaskan Salmon Oil, Probiotics, ALCAR, Quercetin.  Then I make my bulletproof tea and drink it slowly.  Then I wait for my 16 hour fast time to eat and I eat protein in the mornings.  You can start at 12 hour fast and work up to 16.  Dr. Berg said that if you are physically not well, then don't go over 16 or 18 hours fasting. 

I am very thin.  I am not on this to lose any more weight but to heal.  When your body is no longer breaking down food (especially when you sleep) then it can work on healing itself.  So the break in food helps your body and brain heal.  Especially when you do 16-18 hour fast.  You have to drink water with real Lemon, Braggs Vinegar (1 tsp) and Himalayan salt to keep your electrolytes up while on Keto, this way you won't get weak. 

I eat a lot of greens and nuts, sweet potatoes and rice on my Keto so I don't lose weight and I'm staying stable. 

My hubby went on it and he followed the diet and the fasting and lost 15 pounds in a couple of weeks and we're in our 70s.  He was thrilled.  He cycles Keto now, goes on and off it and that's okay too.

You can look up Keto Cycling on YOUTUBE.

Look2Soul,

Thanks for the food list. That's the best one I've seen for the keto diet :)

Here is a summary of some of the (potential) benefits of the keto diet: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4709725/

The Therapeutic Potential of the Ketogenic Diet in Treating Progressive Multiple Sclerosis

Until recently, multiple sclerosis has been viewed as an entirely inflammatory disease without acknowledgment of the significant neurodegenerative component responsible for disease progression and disability. This perspective is being challenged by observations of a dissociation between inflammation and neurodegeneration where the neurodegenerative component may play a more significant role in disease progression. In this review, we explore the relationship between mitochondrial dysfunction and neurodegeneration in multiple sclerosis. We review evidence that the ketogenic diet can improve mitochondrial function and discuss the potential of the ketogenic diet in treating progressive multiple sclerosis for which no treatment currently exists.

(full article at link)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I've been doing keto for 7 months.  I started a couple weeks before I walked off klonopin.  I attribute it to the rapid healing that took place in the first few months and the amazing windows I've had. 

I started working out a lot more, dancing 4 times a week as well as pilates a couple days a week.  Since I've been working out more I've been having more withdrawal symptoms and don't feel the great effects of keto anymore.  I think this has been happening now for a couple of months and I'm thinking of experimenting with adding in some more carbs like sweet potatoes and transitioning to a more paleo diet to see if it gives me any more energy (my energy is tanking).  I have done some moderate carb ups during the last 7 months, cassava pancakes, cassava chips, sweet potato fries.  But absolutely no sugar or grains at all. 

I stay in ketosis with all the veggies I want and the above mentioned carb ups.  I use a breath keto meter, not sure how accurate it is but it tells me I'm in ketosis.

Happy to meet y'all!

Welcome Wonderwoman!!!  How has SEVEN MONTHS already passed since you walked off?  Nice to see you again.

I am actually starting to add some non-keto, but still low carb foods back in.  I have had GREAT results with my migraines since being on keto. Though I am not losing weight at all.  I am thinking about adding in some fasting. 

• 2 weeks later...

IMO diet can play a huge part of recovery. I feel that we need to nourish our brain with proper brain food. I have been on a very low carb diet for years and no doubt it helped expedite my recovery. Our guts are our second brain hence what we eat is vital to healing our guts.

I lived and still live off healthy fruits & vegetables, chicken, healthy fats such as avocado or olive oil, salmon, kale and almost zero carbs.

I'm not very active on BB since I went back to work full time. Please read my past posts about eating healthy!

IMO diet can play a huge part of recovery. I feel that we need to nourish our brain with proper brain food. I have been on a very low carb diet for years and no doubt it helped expedite my recovery. Our guts are our second brain hence what we eat is vital to healing our guts.

I lived and still live off healthy fruits & vegetables, chicken, healthy fats such as avocado or olive oil, salmon, kale and almost zero carbs.

I'm not very active on BB since I went back to work full time. Please read my past posts about eating healthy!

Hi Fran  :hug: glad to see your doing so well and thanks for dropping in with the helpful info :thumbsup: When you say zero carbs do you eat above ground veg only and what fruit do you eat please? Thanks  :)

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi Nova! Hope that you are well!

For the past ten years I stopped eating bread, pasta, rice, potatoes all of the bad starchy carbs that go to our butt or stomach. I lived off tons of very healthy fruit & vegetables such as:

Strawberries, blueberries, clementines, red grapes, red apples, broccoli, spinach, carrots with hummus, almonds (just in the beginning). For lunch every day I ate a huge kale salad with red pepper, green pepper, orange pepper, cucumber, chickpeas, avocado (all loaded with brain food and B vitamins). I added turkey breast for protein. Afternoon snacks was always healthy fruit. Dinner was salmon or chicken with more kale and brocolli or spinach. Dessert was red grapes good for your heart and sleep. I gave up chewing Orbit and I do not eat any junk food. Every piece of food that I put into my mouth has to be healthy choices or I won't eat it. That's just me:)  :smitten:

Hi Nova! Hope that you are well!

For the past ten years I stopped eating bread, pasta, rice, potatoes all of the bad starchy carbs that go to our butt or stomach. I lived off tons of very healthy fruit & vegetables such as:

Strawberries, blueberries, clementines, red grapes, red apples, broccoli, spinach, carrots with hummus, almonds (just in the beginning). For lunch every day I ate a huge kale salad with red pepper, green pepper, orange pepper, cucumber, Strawberries, blueberries, clementines, avocado (all loaded with brain food and B vitamins). I added turkey breast for protein. Afternoon snacks was always healthy fruit. Dinner was salmon or chicken with more kale and brocolli or spinach. Dessert was red grapes good for your heart and sleep. I gave up chewing Orbit and I do not eat any junk food. Every piece of food that I put into my mouth has to be healthy choices or I won't eat it. That's just me:)  :smitten:

Thanks Fran  :hug: I'm afraid I'm still in the trenches big time  ::) But I do eat a very similar diet to you and all organic, and have done so for year's but lately  i can't eat  Strawberries, blueberries, clementines or any berries at all  :( and I love berries and the same goes  hummus, salmon, nuts, chickpeas.

I am very intolerable to them now and I ate lots of them the one thing I do have that you don't eat is a piece of sour dough rye bread with peanut butter, avocado or cheese on as its not easy right now trying to prepare meals but I also eat ready made organic mixed salads with dandy lion leaves,  and bananas and milk occasionally for convince sake and to be able to get some food in my face as I can't prepare food quite often that take longer than a couple of minutes to put out, some day's I can't do it at all.  :sick: But when I cook I eat a lot greens and a lot of chicken and pork as pork fat is really good for you :)  I had to stop eating lamb and beef as well as they were another thing I became intolerant too along with other good food.  Here's something everyone may find interesting below.

Scientists studied more than 1,000 foods, assigning each a nutritional score. The higher the score, the more likely each food would meet, but not exceed your daily nutritional needs, when eaten in combination with others.

Calculated and ranked by scientists, these are the 100 most nutritious foods:   

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180126-the-100-most-nutritious-foods

Hey everyone!

My body's intuition is guiding me to greatly reduce my carb intake, but not so much to cause me to lose weight.  I'm 5'5 and roughly 120 lbs, I would love to gain more muscle back as I've been pretty inactive over the past year.  As of now, the only carbs I eat are organic sprouted brown rice, potatoes cooked in olive oil, and a clean(er) gluten free bread.  Oh, and clean potato chips/root vegetable chips, and organic corn tortilla chips.  As you can see, there's definitely room to improve here, lol! 

I want to ramp up my intake of brain-friendly and gut-friendly foods.  I'm thinking a modified Keto diet is right for me.  I keep feeling that eating whole foods, sticking to healthy fats, eliminating all processed foods, and eating "the rainbow" (lots of fruits and vegetables) along with grass-fed animal and wild-caught fish protein is going to help me heal while I complete this taper.  I'm also okay with turkey. 

I've read that certain types of meat (slow cooked, bone-in meats) as well as bone broths contain high levels of glutamate, so I avoid those.  I also read that nightshades such as tomatoes are also high in glutamate.  So are broccoli and walnuts.  So, I'm avoiding these things as well.

I have cut out all sugar and dairy since last month, and I haven't touched alcohol or caffeine since 2014.

Here's to healing, warriors  :smitten:

OK, not going full on keto right away as its too risky as I am SUPER SENSITIVE, and have a LOT of severe symptoms and I have just started tapering again and due to cut again now but am going to try  Liberal carbs first see how that goes for a while

Liberal

50-100 grams per day

LiberalLCHF-1.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat&w=400&h=299&fit=crop

Going to stop grains, can't eat legumes they make me ROUGH!!! I'm not sure about eggs lately as well  :-\ or if its just bloody symptoms period ::) BUT I do know DEFINITELY I have to eat hard boiled or omelettes, I was eating soft boiled eggs but they definitely turned on me along with my beloved poached eggs  :(  so will leave off them for a bit and see how I go also will be cutting out milk , but will still be eating full Fat Yogurt made with A2 Casein Organic milk, as A1 seems to be the one that's most problematic to digest and cause intolerance problems and besides that its also Keto as long as its pure unadulterated full fat with no additives. 

And if all goes well for quite some time then I will step down to Moderate carbs, which according to Robb Wolfe  that's low enough to be sustainable, and still hit Kertosis

Moderate

20-50 grams per day

mod-vegg.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat&w=400&h=299&fit=crop

Then based on results form the above trials I MAY then go full keto to see if that helps further, but possibly may not need to we'll see, how is everyone else doing so far, and what are you eating full keto or not?

Ketogenic

Under 20 grams per day

strict-vegg.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat&w=400&h=299&fit=crop

https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-low-carb-is-low-carb

I've also been asking lots of questions on different Keto websites and I also watched the film The Magic Pill on Keto, one thing I would like to say is years ago I got taken CT off 30mg of Ativan a day which is equal to 600mgs of bloody valium/Diazaepam???  I was really sick but  I didn't have the pain and burning from hell issues I have  had for a few year's now along  hyperacusis, non stop tinnitus, plus a LOT of other physical symptoms along  with Mental issues  as well at the same time like now  :(

I just had bad Mental issues, DPR, felt terrible G-Force all the time hallucinating visual and auditory, Psychosis, horrific fear, anxiety,  agoraphobia, the list was endless, and after a while my Mum put me on a high protein diet, where you had to have a high protein drink or snack every hour with mega doses of certain vitamins. For about 3 or 4 weeks I felt awful and bloated like mad all over and was going to give up but my mum said ''Hold on for a bit longer that just means sits working'' which when your feeling like more shit didn't make any sense at the time but I stuck it out.

Within those few weeks I awoke one morning with a miraculous transition I felt and looked AMAZING!!!  You were allowed to eat bread and have diary but the bread had to be Stone ground whole meal only, and you ate your carbs at night with your last meal you could have lots of greens and carrots but NO potatoes at all . So when I look at it it wasn't far form the keto diet in some ways and as a snack I often ate a cheese and lettuce sandwich with the stone ground bread, lot ALL my cellulite I had since I was a young teenager totally went I lost weight as a result but I wasn't doing it to lose weight and gained my mind back I felt great but I had been off the pills for  a while I can't remember how long before Mum put me on this diet she found by accident for treating depression, but it worked wonders for my protracted withdrawal. 

I am thinking about switching over to keto and I am also thinking about doing a fast before I do this of maybe 3-5 days. I have seen a lot of good research about fasting growing new stem cells in your body after 72 hours. I think my gut could use a rest as well after all the junk food ive poured into it over the years.

Great thread everybody.

I'm following with the intention of pursuing this once I finish my gabapentin taper. 

I'm doing my own protocol now which seems to be helping as I can taper again whereas I hadn't been able to for the last 12 months.  In fact, I updosed twice during that time. 

So, I will inform everyone of the protocol should it prove to be effective in helping me successfully taper the gabapentin to completion.

-RST

Here's a question that someone asked on a Zero Carb group ( they only eat meat)  and the  one of the answers they got involving someone that was on Benzo's

Question

Has eating ZC enabled you to successfully withdraw from psychotropic medications? ie those prescribed to treat anxiety, depression, bipolar, schizophrenia, ADD, ADHD, OCD etc

Other/Related Lifestyle Post

I'm looking for positive, neutral or negative experiences. What worked for you and what didn't. Thank you for your time!

31 comments

Answer involving Benzos

Not exactly what you asked, but I was on benzos for over a decade and had to do a protracted taper after entering acute withdrawal and realizing I was physically dependent. I was never given informed consent by my doctor.

I was paleo at the end of my taper, and started eating carnivore intuitively about a month after I took my last dose. Benzo dependency gave me all sort of iatrogenic issues: extreme insomnia and agoraphobia, anxiety, fatigue... I thought they would continue after the taper, since it can take years for your brain to recover, but I have never been chiller or slept better in my entire life thanks to carnivore. I am sure if I reintroduced carbs I would start having anxiety again, since insulin spikes seem to trigger it in me.

Now I am NOT saying do ZC, and neither am I going to embark on it BUT the reason it resonated with me is that I never ate meat everyday, in fact it  I began eating more meat when I went Paleo back a few year's ago, I also wasn't eating much fruit or none at all can't quite remember until I went on a Meditation and Yoga Holiday in Cyprus and began eating everything I had cut out again, grains, dairy, fruit covered in Greek yoghurt. Now for a few months after going Paleo now I look back that's when I began to get stabilised after being really fkd up while in unbeknown tolerance withdrawal then I also began tapering still in the dark about tolerance or Benzo withdrawal for many year's.

Anyway before I go way off the beaten track here I noticed and I also told someone else that I now find I crave meat its as if my body has to have it everyday, and I thought it was more  protein it self my body was after  and that was possibly the cause of suddenly  finding I really need to eat meat every day which before I thought wasn't a good thing to do.

But now I find that its not just meat I really enjoy fatty cuts like belly pork strips, the fatty parts of chicken where its brown meat not white meat, I had to stop eating Beef and Lamb as for some reason they rev me up, and I now use pastured leaf lard to cook, but I also make sure I eat Salad or some form of greens as I can't take any supplements and Magnesium kills me I used to make my own Mag Oil and spray it on and have Epsom Baths and foot baths, and I feel I need the minerals and vitamins form greens as well .

The other thing I noticed to was when I had to go to my sisters each day as there was lots of noisy work being done in the building I was having pure pork sausage with bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes fried in lard for breakfast and it would keep me going for hours before I had to eat anything else, and I felt more balanced although I was still very symptomatic I was able to move around a lot more too and more able to cope with stress. Now once the work stopped here and I was able to stay in my home ( there's more going to be coming up sometime down stairs involving lots of noisy machinery though ffks! :tickedoff:)

I'm bedridden moving about or laying down is hell and I once again went back to eating bread, drinking milk, and eating lot more fruit, mind I am also under a LOT of stress right now too , but as I said I was dealing with it better when my morning meat consumption went up along with using lard. I was having a salad mainly when I got home from my sisters or pressure cooking greens ans a small portion of  orange sweet potatoes/yam occasionally as I can't eat a whole one in one sitting. But basically I was actually eating a near to Keto diet unintentionally.

I now can't eat Bacon or Sausages as I get then form a organic farm that traditionally cures the meat using sea salt only but now find the salt content is too much for me and that revvs me up. Anyway before I read that question in the ZC Forum I just felt instinctively I should just eat more meat and don't worry about it as long as I feel okay so decided that's what I'm going to do, and the other thing I need to drop is Bananas as they got the most carbs of any fruit. 

But I am NOT going to stop eating apples and pears for a while yet as I need something sweet I get cravings for some fruit and its going to be too much too fast to drop it all in one go and cause problem possibly as I am so sensitive to any changes. And I'm going off bread again anyway so that's not a problem the worse will be Bananas as some days I crave them like a crack head needs crack  BUT there's been times when I've run out for a few days to a week  or forgot to order them for a couple of weeks and although I panicked nothing terrible happened I just ate more apples. And if your doing moderate Carbs  Keto you can still have a couple of pieces of fruit as long as you stay within the carb window you should  still go into Ketosis. I am going to aim for what Robb Wolffe Say's will put you into Ketosis 50g of carbs a day but step it down slowly not rush it

Plus you don't have to eat your weight in fat like some people seem to think its bollox , and a LOT of peole are in Ketosis eating a lot more protein then the lower doses some people say you should eat, its tweaking it a bit and find out what works for you with out it becoming something else to get stressed over or bloody hard work. The easiest way to do it I reckon its just make sure you stay within the carb window , and don't worry about protein or fat, and just make sure you eating the right fats no vegetable oils or Marge, personally I eat butter, lard and use olive oil, and was doing that before I read about Keto I did it because I read that old school fats are way better for you than new age oils :)

keto-eating-chart.png

Interesting Nova,

I have listened to a few podcasts where people have spoken about how the carnivore diet has changed their health for the better. One theory is that meat breaks down before it gets to the gut and so your gut is basically free of any foods to rev up your body and can heal. It's like fasting except you're actually eating!

Found this on another Keto  for Benzo withdrawal thread so I borrowed it  and put it here  :)

Accelerated Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Recovery Without Drugs

Where's everyone and how are you guys getting on eating keto or heading there carefully? Any one have any updates or tips to share? I have stopped eating my beloved Bananas,  :( and noticed after eating only 2 apples and belly pork, omelette  salad and chicken thigh all cooked in pastured lard  for breakfast and dinner yesterday my brain felt mentally a lot calmer later on  even though I still had bad physical symptoms bodily, brain burning and hypersensitive  long a list of other stuff.

But as I felt calmer I  could cope with the pain and not feel traumatised as I do all day usually, then last night I had very sweet  black grapes and kiwi fruit in yoghurt, and the change was rapid I went from calm at ease to very angry, mentally all over the place and agitated ruminating thoughts. To say I was shocked is an understatement and I know its not going to go great over night but I was really taken aback by how different I felt on consuming that fruit but I was ok with just 2 apples  which fell within my carb allowance for the day and are lower in sugar and carbs than the fruit I ate last night.

Easy Keto Eating list takes the hard work out putting a meal together that I found on a Keto site  :)

My daily meal plan and meal prep are very, very simple and economical.

One very important detail: I go to the grocery store one time per week. I buy all the food that I will need for the upcoming week.

I cook most of my food ahead of time so it’s waiting there for me in the freezer or refrigerator whenever I need it, heats in microwave in 30 to 60 seconds !!!!!

Sometimes I cook several things in one big lollapalooza on the weekend. Or, during the week, if I realize that I’m running out of something pre-cooked, then I just take one of the frozen raw meats out of the freezer to thaw in fridge for cooking the next day.

These are foods that I always have in my house:

MEAT

Ground beef, either uncooked and frozen, or pre-cooked as crumbles and frozen

Chicken breasts, either uncooked and frozen, or pre-cooked as cubes and frozen

Bacon, either uncooked and frozen, or pre-cooked as strips and frozen

Breakfast sausage, either uncooked and frozen, or pre-cooked as crumbles and frozen

Tuna, either unopened cans in the pantry, or mixed with mayo and refrigerated

Eggs, either uncooked and refrigerated, or pre-cooked as scrambled or boiled and refrigerated

SIDES

Cheese slices

Iceberg lettuce

Broccoli, frozen in bags

Cauliflower, frozen in bags

Salad dressing, ranch or caesar flavor

Butter

Mustard

Mayonnaise

ALL MY MEALS ARE ONLY TWO ITEMS

Scrambled eggs plus bacon

Scrambled eggs plus breakfast sausage

Scrambled eggs plus melted cheese

Ground beef plus lettuce and salad dressing

Ground beef plus melted cheese

Ground beef plus broccoli with butter

Ground beef plus cauliflower with butter

Chicken plus lettuce and salad dressing

Chicken plus melted cheese

Chicken plus broccoli with butter

Chicken plus cauliflower with butter

Bacon plus lettuce and salad dressing

Bacon plus melted cheese

Bacon plus broccoli with butter

Bacon plus cauliflower with butter

Bacon plus cold cheese slices

Tuna with mayo plus lettuce and salad dressing

Tuna with mayo plus melted cheese

Tuna with mayo plus broccoli with butter

Tuna with mayo plus cauliflower with butter

Tuna with mayo plus cold cheese slices

Boiled eggs cut up with mustard and mayo plus lettuce and salad dressing

Boiled eggs cut up with mustard and mayo plus broccoli with butter

Boiled eggs cut up with mustard and mayo plus cauliflower with butter

Boiled eggs cut up with mustard and mayo plus cold cheese slices

BONUS INFO: items I buy sometimes, not always, just for variety

Pot Roast (no potatoes, no carrots) from the hot foods counter at my grocery store

Rotisserie Chicken from the hot foods counter at my grocery store

Beef Brisket (no bbq sauce) from the hot foods counter at my grocery store

Sliced Deli Ham

Pepperoni Slices

Avocado

Sour Cream

Jalapeno Slices in jars

Dill Pickle Slices in jars

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you. I am venturing into the keto diet, and it is just amazing. I am kind of worried about high cholesterol. Woudln't ingenting more fat have a negative effect on cholesterol?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. I am venturing into the keto diet, and it is just amazing. I am kind of worried about high cholesterol. Woudln't ingenting more fat have a negative effect on cholesterol?

Cholesterol concerns:

I’m at 2.5 months of strict keto and LOVING IT. I do 18:6 or 20:4 intermittent fasting most days as well. Never less than 16 hours on the low end. I began slowly tapering my carbs around Christmas so it wouldn’t be such a drastic change but I was paleo mostly for a few years before keto. I have more energy, I can read better, feel different. Less anxiety. I’m in a wave right now but all in all, I feel a lot better and am super happy with this.

Here’s a few of my favorite recipes:

Cauliflower Mac n cheese

https://www.ruled.me/cauliflower-mac-cheese/

Pizza bites

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a43638/mini-zucchini-pizzas-recipe/

Keto cake

https://www.ruled.me/keto-chocolate-cake-mug/

Salmon cakes

https://downshiftology.com/recipes/salmon-patties/

Keto coconut cups

https://thebigmansworld.com/3-ingredient-keto-chocolate-coconut-cups/

Broccoli cheese bread

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a20720559/best-broccoli-cheesy-bread-recipe/

Butter Chicken

https://www.ketoconnect.net/keto-butter-chicken/

Choc chip cookies

https://www.ketoconnect.net/keto-chocolate-chip-cookies/

Keto tortillas

https://www.gnom-gnom.com/grain-free-keto-tortillas/

Zuppa Tuscana Soup

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/159666749265004482/sent/?sfo=1&sender=57209995174873855&invite_code=dcfcdce62a594ad587b691ac84b2ff11

Fathead pizza

https://www.fifteenspatulas.com/fathead-pizza/

Chocolate chip fat bombs

https://paleomomnoms.com/2017/04/17/super-low-carb-keto/amp/

Lemon fat bombs chocolate-chip-cookie-dough-fat-bombs-

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/AaUmQMFL0EE3_AJjmxmteuNxtGE8UhJP0EO_6mGHQj_a875tjIb6Qjo/

Cheesecake

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/new-york-style-keto-cheesecake/

Cheesy garlic chicken mushroom bake

https://cafedelites.com/cheesy-garlic-butter-mushroom-stuffed-chicken/

3 Minute Keto Coconut Flour Bread | Cheddar Biscuits! http://bit.ly/2pKkIpu

Keto sausage balls

https://ketosizeme.com/keto-sausage-balls/

Keto hamburger buns

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a19712917/keto-burger-buns-recipe/

Spanikopita

https://greekgoesketo.com/2018/10/20/keto-spanakopita/

Meatloaf

https://www.quiet-corner.com/recipes/the-best-keto-meatloaf/

Chicken jalapeño popper casserole

https://www.ketovale.com/recipe/jalapeno-popper-chicken-casserole/

Hi all  :hug: is anyone following one of the keto versions below or just doing a very low carb diet?  And is anyone using a tracker app to make sure they are doing their Macros ( Carbs fats proteins) correctly? I'm using Carb master as its a keto app, I'm working my way down slowly on my protein  as I'm in a bad way but I'm hoping to get to this version  Modified Keto (2:1) FAT 82% PROTEIN 12% CARB 6%

My carb intake is already way below 6% fat I hit or go under or over my macro settings on my tracker  at the moment( I'm using 'Carb Master was using free version to start but now using paid version)  but I'm not too bothered as my carbs are well low, and I'm not doing it to lose weight although I did lose a few pounds and a few  of inches  , I'm doing it for the neurological / brain healing benefits hence wanting to get my protein lower eventually. And those who are seeing any  neurological benefits what are they?  I am also aware like Benzo healing it can take longer for some than for others to see benefits but its recommended to try it for 3 months to decide if its for you or not

There are five variations of the Ketogenic Diet which have been published in medical literature as effective treatments for diseases that have an underlying metabolic dysregulation, such as epilepsy, cancer, and Alzheimer’s. The original Ketogenic Therapy, known as the classic Ketogenic Diet, or classic Keto for short, was designed in 1923 by Dr. Russell Wilder at the Mayo Clinic for the treatment of epilepsy. All Ketogenic Diets are a variation of classic Keto, which is the most strict, seen by it’s ratio of fat to protein and carbs, also called the macronutrient ratio. Classic Keto carries a 4:1 ratio, which means that there are four parts fat for every one part protein and carb. Since fat has a higher caloric content versus protein and carb (fat has 9 calories per gram, while both protein and carb have just 4 calories per gram), 90% of calories come from fat in a classic Ketogenic Diet, while 6% come from protein, and 4% come from carb. The main difference between the five types of Ketogenic Diets is this macronutrient ratio.

All Ketogenic Diets are high in fat, adequate in protein and low in carbohydrates. This combination changes the way energy is used in the body, converting fat into fatty acids and ketones in the liver. When there is an elevated level of ketones in the blood, one is in a state of ketosis, which has a variety of therapeutic benefits for the sick and healthy alike. In addition to the macronutrient ratio, the frequency of eating can influence ketosis. More specifically, a practice called intermittent fasting, which reduces the window of time a person eats throughout the day, can help in obtaining and sustaining ketosis. When the eating window is shortened, the body is forced to access energy from its own fat stores rather than calories directly from the diet.

CLASSIC KETO

An individualized and structured diet that provides specific meal plans. Foods are weighed and meals should be consumed in their entirety for best results. Macronutrient Ratio: 4:1

MODIFIED KETO

Modifying the restrictiveness of classic keto can be helpful when starting the diet, or when tapering down to a more sustainable, long term diet.

Macronutrient Ratio: 3:1 to 1:1 (range)

MCT

An individualized and structured diet containing highly ketogenic Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT), allowing for more carb and protein than classic keto.

Macronutrient Ratio: 1.9:1

MODIFIED ATKINS

Limits the amount of carbohydrate, encourages fat, and does not limit protein. Carbohydrates are to be accompanied by fat when consumed.

Macronutrient Ratio: 0.8:1

LOW GLYCEMIC INDEX

An individualized but less structured diet, it uses exchange lists for planning meal and emphasizes complex carbohydrates. It is not intended to promote ketosis.

Macronutrient Ratio: 2:3

INTERMITTENT FASTING

A dietary intervention that shifts the body into ketosis by limiting the window of time one eats during the day, forcing the body to access energy from body fat.

Macronutrient Ratio: N/A

The chart below outlines the macronutrient ratios and their caloric percentage counterpart for different variations of the ketogenic diet.

Ketogenic Diet Macronutrients; Percent of Total Calories

Macronutrient Ratio Fat Protein Carb

Classic Keto (4:1) 90% 6% 4%

Modified Keto (3:1) 87% 10% 3%

Modified Keto (2:1) 82% 12% 6%

Modified Keto (1:1) 70% 15% 15%

MCT Oil (1.9:1) * 50%/21% 19% 10%

LGIT (2:3) 60% 28% 12%

MAD (0.8:1) 65% 29-32% 3-6%

* 50% MCT / 21% LCT : MCT stands for medium chain triglycerides, LCT stands for long chain triglycerides

https://charliefoundation.org/diet-plans/