Keto Diet Support Group

[Gr...]

I see so many people talking about this on the boards lately, so I think there's  fair number of us giving this a shot.  I'm on day 5 right now and just excited that I have been able to stick with it so far.  I feel strangely very full and hungry at the same time! 

How is everyone doing with this?  Any recipes to share? 

I think I am feeling a flare up of my benzo symptoms during this first week of keto, but I can't be sure, as everyone who tries keto seems to feel awful their first week. 

joining and hey all. doing keto since 7 months (with tiny breaks). amazing benefits.

some good lessons I learned:

- once you establish a good keto routine and your body is adapted, do NOT get off it. going back is as hard as the first time

- the best sugar substitute I found is erythritol.

- there is noticeable benefit for benzo sufferers in this diet in my experience.

good luck all

Thanks for starting this thread. Hey all.

I started keto a few days ago and it pushed me into a bit of a wave. It’s slowed a bit now.

I do notice that my heart is pounding a bit and i feel weak. I’ve been putting pink Himalayan salt in water with some lemon juice for electrolytes. Do you guys have any advice for magnesium depletion without using a supplement? Last time i tried it revved me up...afraid to try again.

Locotus-really nice to hear you’ve had some good results with this. Fingers crossed that it helps. I’m afraid of it raising cortisol levels.

I’m trying to go as plant based keto as i can. I’m open to fish, eggs, chicken and beef but want to incorporate lots of veggies. I’d like to stay away from dairy and processed foods and meats as much as possible! I’m picking up the urine strips tomorrow...hopefully I’m not messing everything up with too many veggies.

I’ve also had amazing results with keto.  Too many veggies can equal  too many carbs.  Track your macros on an app.  There are a lot of good apps to use to keep track of macros.  When I’m awake later (need my tea) I’ll post some resources for everyone on Keto for beginners and recipe sites.

I'm having amazing benefits from doing a modified keto diet as well, for the past six weeks or so. A really good source of potassium that tastes good is Swiss green chard btw, with some red wine vinegar and lemon, salt and pepper....4g of net carbs per cup...there is a gram of potassium in each serving. One big avocado has about a gram of potassium in it too. You need about 4g of potassium a day on keto to feel your best. Microgreen salads are good for micronutrients too. I've been blending broccoli sprouts as well.

Wild caught seafood is a big one. Fish are simple and easy to digest compared to other animal protein sources. Always get grass fed and finished beef and grass fed lamb if you can find it. I'm finding my red meats at Meijer.

There is this organic açaí puree at Trader Joe's that I just got. Acai is very low carb, I'm going to start adding it to the hempseed protein, cacao powder shakes I've been making with almond milk.

Don't be afraid to eat more than 20g of net carbs to on days you are more active. You can eat up to 30-50 and still be in ketosis. I have the Keto-Mojo and have been tracking my blood ketone levels with this.

Your ketone levels should be at around 1.5-3.0mmol ideally. In order to prevent seizures they should be 4.0mmol or higher. So if you are still tapering I would shoot for this on days you make a drop, which is what I'm planning for.

I'm considering buying exogenous ketones or ketone esters for days I make drops possibly now that I'm keto adapted.

I'm starting to use ashwagandha occasionally for stress and it seems pretty helpful and it stimulates the thyroid. Other than that I'll sometimes use baicalin and magnolia bark. Lemon balm suppresses the thyroid btw which isn't the best for keto. When your insulin levels are lower you will have less thyroid hormones circulating which is something to keep in mind. Cold stress is good for the thyroid so don't be afraid to go outside for a little bit and then go warm up later. It helps. DOn't stay inside all day.

If anyone has any questions on how to do keto correctly, healthy way I may be of some help.

Try not to eat too much poultry and pork btw because it has way too much omega 6 in it. Good eggs are fine though. I started soft boiling my eggs. I think the key for chicken is if they are fed lots of flax which has omega 3 in it.

A few resources:

I've been doing Keto for over 6 months now, and some of these websites were and are helpful.  I'm sure you all have great resources too - so let's keep sharing!

Unlike Mamoot, I actually need to be under 25g of carbs per day to be in ketosis - oy!

https://blog.bulletproof.com/keto-diet-beginners-guide/

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

https://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-nutrition/ketogenic-diet/steps-beginners-should-take-before-trying-keto-diet/

https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/keto-diet-recipes/view-all/

I’m usually at or under 25g as well in order to be in a deeper ketosis. But on days that I’m working out and unusually more active I can eat more vegetables. Like on days I practice rock climbing at the gym I usually will eat more carbs. Plus I use a sauna daily. It really just depends on your activity level.

Also eating less protein will help you stay in deeper ketosis. Like on days I eat like 60g instead of my usual 80-90g I’ll have higher blood ketones

This is really great info.  I jog/ run 2 - 3 miles a day, plus weights 3 times a week, so maybe I can try to play with macros.  I've only recently been able to exercise like this again, so this is very helpful.  Thank you.

I'm so excited that there's so many people responding here with their loads of knowledge.  I used to be skinny for most of my life, and I really think it was cause I was doing a low carb thing as a habit.  But I fell off that wagon years ago now...

Okay, so someone help me out with sources of fat please. I have zero problems eating tons of meat.  I like cream cheese, but what can I put it on?  Same with almond butter...  Also is peanut butter okay or not? 

Look2Soul- I am SO JEALOUS of you for being able to run.  I used to run.  I can barely get through a workout at all these days.  I'm taking it real slow with working my way back to real exercise. 

Green Cup:  Here's a link to a PDF that may help with food selection.  I can't have peanut butter, my son is allergic.  Make sure the almond butter you have has no sugar added.

https://44uc8dkwa8q3f5b66w13vilg-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/keto-printable-1.17-compressed.pdf

And, I really had to take it VERY slow with exercise.  I jumped almost 13 months ago and really only the last few weeks have started jogging again.  I have good days and bad days with exercise.  Just do what feels right.  I did yoga for a long time.  I did nothing for even longer, lol, during taper.

Look2Soul...you should probably get a keto mojo. It's the cheapest and best bloor ketone test meter. That way you can see what happens to your blood ketones. You can also test insulin levels with it. After bigger workouts your insulin levels can increase a bit as blood ketones lower because your body is using them for fuel first. Your muscles release glycogen I'm thinking after an intense workout as you exhaust the ketone reserves which is what your body prefers to use first before glycogen.

Greencup you probably shouldn't be eating too much dairy because of the casein. Goat milk yogurt and goat cheese is acceptable because there is no casein or lactose to worry about. You need to be careful with meat too. Get most of your protein from plant based sources like Macadamia nuts, pecans, which are loaded with healthy fats and low in phytic acid....but these nuts don't have as much potassium as other nuts. I use roasted or sprouted almond butter because it removes most of the excess phytic acid. Raw almonds are high in phytic acid which is an anti nutrient that inhibits the absorption of zinc and magnesium...phytic acid is basically an insecticide. So buy roasted almond butter. Eat cacao powder. There is a snack called Keto Cups that I eat pretty much everyday at the moment. Check it out. Hempseed protein, cacao powder, sprouted almond milk, coconut oil, acai powder or puree, some pure organic stevia makes a decent shake in the blender.

Eat two roasted Brazil nuts a day. They have selenium and chromium necessary for thyroid function. You don't want to do a dirty keto diet eating a bunch of meat and the wrong fats. You are going to be getting most of your calories from fat so it is importance to keep a Omega 6 to 3 ratio of at least 4:1...shoot for 1:1. Grass fed and finished beef and wild caught sea food. About an 8oz portion of meat is all you need on a ketogenic diet. Look at the seafood list low in mercury online.

You should never scramble eggs because the Omega fatty acids  in the eggs are easily oxidized. Sorry boil is the healthiest method. I'm not implying that your an egg scrambler btw. I used to be. I guess cooking them in butter would protect Omega fats from getting oxidized. Saturated fats do not get oxidized because they are saturated with hydrogen atoms. So Omega fatty acids ,polyunsaturated fats are easily oxidized. Cooking temperature is important because you can make your good fats unhealthy if you cook with the wrong oils and wrong temps. Olive oil should not be used to cook in high temperatures. It's good for mixing in things raw. You need to use things like avacado or macadamia nut oil which have higher smoke points. Cooking with coconut oil or with things like grass fed butter or tallow is a good option for higher temperature cooking since these fats are not altered by the cooking process since they are saturated. Adding butter to coconut oil may be an option to prevent the milk contents in the butter from burning up I think while sauteeing something. Avacado oil and butter seems like a better combo maybe. Pork and chicken are going to have alot of Omega 6 so moderate. Down a few krill oil capsules if you eat pork. I think I'm limiting pork to once a month because I like ribs and artisan salami. I like these turkey jerky sticks by Chomps . Tgey make grass fed and finished beef jerky. Those and ketocups keep me sane. There are things I'm going to try eventually and cheat a little. I want to make my own pizza with a low carb cauliflower crust eventually. I'll add more to this later.

Great thread! Thank you!

I notice a connection between eating keto and relative ease of taper.

The things that are saving me are keto diet, NAC, NAD+ nasal spray, and theanine.

Going through withdrawal caused a lot of inflammation all around my body. As soon as I started the keto diet, it went away. I thought I was going to be 30-40% deaf in my right ear for the rest of my life… And my hearing came back as soon as I started the diet.

It just drains the body of any swelling. Cancers need glucose to survive and staying on keto prevents glucose from being around.

I think for us, the best benefit is that it rebuilds the nervous system.

All these anxiety medications have shot our nervous systems.

Another huge benefit is running the brain on Ketones ... Clears the glucose deposits therefore eliminating the brain fog we’ve developed.

Everythingnow,

Yes, it keeps down the inflammation.  I've been on it since July.  I take the MCT OIL in the morning in my tea and grass fed butter.  Mix it then heat it up again.  It also satiates you till you eat.

GreenCup, I've never had Keto breath, so I don't know.

Hope, I make a rocket fuel latte with tea every morning.  It's the best.  I use hot black or rooibios tea, coconut oil (or MCT oil), cacao butter, rock salt (on days I run) and collagen peptides.  Sometimes I use other things, but that's my go-to in the morning.  It is very satisfying, to your point!

I think my sense of smell is off because of benzos and not keto, though could be a combo of both.  Also, I haven't lost any weight, which I am kind of bummed by.  Have been doing keto for 11 days now. 

I had to give it at least 4 weeks to see any weight loss.  Plus increasing my work outs and keeping calories in check helped.  However, I went on Keto to feel better, that’s what made a huge difference for me, and then I was able to increase exercise.  I think you’ll have more energy and you should lose some weight if you are keeping your carbs low and you are consistent,

If losing some weight is one of your goals, combining intermittent fasting and keto is the way to go. Try the 16:8 first and work your way to 18:6. You'll want to consume everything in an 8 or 6 hour window. The only thing you can have when you are fasting is water, tea or black coffee. Apparently black coffee doesn't break a fast. Supplements/meds are ok to take as long as they are water soluble. They will not break a fast. Ultimately, intermittent fasting combined with keto should be our goal anyways. This is my next step.