Author Topic: Keto Diet Support Group  (Read 7776 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Keto Diet Support Group
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 10:49:55 am »
[...], keto breath leaves a metallic aftertaste in your mouth and can smell like acetone.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 11:48:41 pm »
I think my sense of smell is off because of benzos and not keto, though could be a combo of both.  Also, I haven't lost any weight, which I am kind of bummed by.  Have been doing keto for 11 days now. 
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2019, 01:02:45 am »
I had to give it at least 4 weeks to see any weight loss.  Plus increasing my work outs and keeping calories in check helped.  However, I went on Keto to feel better, thatís what made a huge difference for me, and then I was able to increase exercise.  I think youíll have more energy and you should lose some weight if you are keeping your carbs low and you are consistent,

[Buddie]

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2019, 11:17:13 pm »
I think I just had a w o w moment mixing chia seeds with almond butter.

[Buddie]

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2019, 11:02:13 am »
If losing some weight is one of your goals, combining intermittent fasting and keto is the way to go. Try the 16:8 first and work your way to 18:6. You'll want to consume everything in an 8 or 6 hour window. The only thing you can have when you are fasting is water, tea or black coffee. Apparently black coffee doesn't break a fast. Supplements/meds are ok to take as long as they are water soluble. They will not break a fast. Ultimately, intermittent fasting combined with keto should be our goal anyways. This is my next step.

[Buddie]

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2019, 05:09:36 pm »
Yes, [...] is correct.  Intermittent Fasting is not as hard as you think.

Stop eating at 4 or 5 or 6 or even 7 pm.  Then go to bed, when you wake up you have the MCT Oil and grass fed butter in your tea.  It satiates you, so that you are not hungry.  Drink good water even before the tea.  I take my Amino Acids on an empty stomach in the morning, so I drink a lot of water.  Alaskan Salmon Oil, Probiotics, ALCAR, Quercetin.  Then I make my bulletproof tea and drink it slowly.  Then I wait for my 16 hour fast time to eat and I eat protein in the mornings.  You can start at 12 hour fast and work up to 16.  Dr. Berg said that if you are physically not well, then don't go over 16 or 18 hours fasting. 

I am very thin.  I am not on this to lose any more weight but to heal.  When your body is no longer breaking down food (especially when you sleep) then it can work on healing itself.  So the break in food helps your body and brain heal.  Especially when you do 16-18 hour fast.  You have to drink water with real Lemon, Braggs Vinegar (1 tsp) and Himalayan salt to keep your electrolytes up while on Keto, this way you won't get weak. 

I eat a lot of greens and nuts, sweet potatoes and rice on my Keto so I don't lose weight and I'm staying stable. 

My hubby went on it and he followed the diet and the fasting and lost 15 pounds in a couple of weeks and we're in our 70s.  He was thrilled.  He cycles Keto now, goes on and off it and that's okay too.

You can look up Keto Cycling on YOUTUBE.

[Buddie]

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2019, 10:31:32 am »
[...],

Thanks for the food list. That's the best one I've seen for the keto diet :)

Here is a summary of some of the (potential) benefits of the keto diet: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4709725/

The Therapeutic Potential of the Ketogenic Diet in Treating Progressive Multiple Sclerosis

Until recently, multiple sclerosis has been viewed as an entirely inflammatory disease without acknowledgment of the significant neurodegenerative component responsible for disease progression and disability. This perspective is being challenged by observations of a dissociation between inflammation and neurodegeneration where the neurodegenerative component may play a more significant role in disease progression. In this review, we explore the relationship between mitochondrial dysfunction and neurodegeneration in multiple sclerosis. We review evidence that the ketogenic diet can improve mitochondrial function and discuss the potential of the ketogenic diet in treating progressive multiple sclerosis for which no treatment currently exists.

(full article at link)

[Buddie]

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2019, 03:32:23 am »
Hi everyone,

I've been doing keto for 7 months.  I started a couple weeks before I walked off klonopin.  I attribute it to the rapid healing that took place in the first few months and the amazing windows I've had. 

I started working out a lot more, dancing 4 times a week as well as pilates a couple days a week.  Since I've been working out more I've been having more withdrawal symptoms and don't feel the great effects of keto anymore.  I think this has been happening now for a couple of months and I'm thinking of experimenting with adding in some more carbs like sweet potatoes and transitioning to a more paleo diet to see if it gives me any more energy (my energy is tanking).  I have done some moderate carb ups during the last 7 months, cassava pancakes, cassava chips, sweet potato fries.  But absolutely no sugar or grains at all. 

I stay in ketosis with all the veggies I want and the above mentioned carb ups.  I use a breath keto meter, not sure how accurate it is but it tells me I'm in ketosis.

Happy to meet y'all!

[Buddie]

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2019, 01:57:17 pm »
Welcome [...]!!!  How has SEVEN MONTHS already passed since you walked off?  Nice to see you again.

I am actually starting to add some non-keto, but still low carb foods back in.  I have had GREAT results with my migraines since being on keto. Though I am not losing weight at all.  I am thinking about adding in some fasting. 

[Buddie]

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2019, 03:10:20 pm »
*following*