Author Topic: Keto Diet Support Group  (Read 7774 times)

[Buddie]

Keto Diet Support Group
« on: January 17, 2019, 03:50:52 pm »
I see so many people talking about this on the boards lately, so I think there's  fair number of us giving this a shot.  I'm on day 5 right now and just excited that I have been able to stick with it so far.  I feel strangely very full and hungry at the same time! 

How is everyone doing with this?  Any recipes to share? 

I think I am feeling a flare up of my benzo symptoms during this first week of keto, but I can't be sure, as everyone who tries keto seems to feel awful their first week. 
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Keto Diet Support Group
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 04:12:13 pm »
Hi!

Thanks for starting this thread.  I have some good recipes - if you tell me the protein you prefer, I'll post the recipe!

:)
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 04:20:46 pm »
joining and hey all. doing keto since 7 months (with tiny breaks). amazing benefits.
some good lessons I learned:
- once you establish a good keto routine and your body is adapted, do NOT get off it. going back is as hard as the first time
- the best sugar substitute I found is erythritol.
- there is noticeable benefit for benzo sufferers in this diet in my experience.

good luck all

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 03:20:20 am »
Thanks for starting this thread. Hey all.

I started keto a few days ago and it pushed me into a bit of a wave. Itís slowed a bit now.

I do notice that my heart is pounding a bit and i feel weak. Iíve been putting pink Himalayan salt in water with some lemon juice for electrolytes. Do you guys have any advice for magnesium depletion without using a supplement? Last time i tried it revved me up...afraid to try again.

Locotus-really nice to hear youíve had some good results with this. Fingers crossed that it helps. Iím afraid of it raising cortisol levels.

Iím trying to go as plant based keto as i can. Iím open to fish, eggs, chicken and beef but want to incorporate lots of veggies. Iíd like to stay away from dairy and processed foods and meats as much as possible! Iím picking up the urine strips tomorrow...hopefully Iím not messing everything up with too many veggies.

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 12:00:59 pm »

Iíve also had amazing results with keto.  Too many veggies can equal  too many carbs.  Track your macros on an app.  There are a lot of good apps to use to keep track of macros.  When Iím awake later (need my tea) Iíll post some resources for everyone on Keto for beginners and recipe sites.

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 12:58:52 pm »
I'm having amazing benefits from doing a modified keto diet as well, for the past six weeks or so. A really good source of potassium that tastes good is Swiss green chard btw, with some red wine vinegar and lemon, salt and pepper....4g of net carbs per cup...there is a gram of potassium in each serving. One big avocado has about a gram of potassium in it too. You need about 4g of potassium a day on keto to feel your best. Microgreen salads are good for micronutrients too. I've been blending broccoli sprouts as well.

Wild caught seafood is a big one. Fish are simple and easy to digest compared to other animal protein sources. Always get grass fed and finished beef and grass fed lamb if you can find it. I'm finding my red meats at Meijer.

There is this organic aÁaŪ puree at Trader Joe's that I just got. Acai is very low carb, I'm going to start adding it to the hempseed protein, cacao powder shakes I've been making with almond milk.

Don't be afraid to eat more than 20g of net carbs to on days you are more active. You can eat up to 30-50 and still be in ketosis. I have the Keto-Mojo and have been tracking my blood ketone levels with this.

Your ketone levels should be at around 1.5-3.0mmol ideally. In order to prevent seizures they should be 4.0mmol or higher. So if you are still tapering I would shoot for this on days you make a drop, which is what I'm planning for.

I'm considering buying exogenous ketones or ketone esters for days I make drops possibly now that I'm keto adapted.

I'm starting to use ashwagandha occasionally for stress and it seems pretty helpful and it stimulates the thyroid. Other than that I'll sometimes use baicalin and magnolia bark. Lemon balm suppresses the thyroid btw which isn't the best for keto. When your insulin levels are lower you will have less thyroid hormones circulating which is something to keep in mind. Cold stress is good for the thyroid so don't be afraid to go outside for a little bit and then go warm up later. It helps. DOn't stay inside all day.

If anyone has any questions on how to do keto correctly, healthy way I may be of some help.

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 01:01:21 pm »
Try not to eat too much poultry and pork btw because it has way too much omega 6 in it. Good eggs are fine though. I started soft boiling my eggs. I think the key for chicken is if they are fed lots of flax which has omega 3 in it.

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 01:28:28 pm »
A few resources:
I've been doing Keto for over 6 months now, and some of these websites were and are helpful.  I'm sure you all have great resources too - so let's keep sharing!

Unlike [...], I actually need to be under 25g of carbs per day to be in ketosis - oy!

https://blog.bulletproof.com/keto-diet-beginners-guide/

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

https://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-nutrition/ketogenic-diet/steps-beginners-should-take-before-trying-keto-diet/

https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/keto-diet-recipes/view-all/

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 01:44:28 pm »
Iím usually at or under 25g as well in order to be in a deeper ketosis. But on days that Iím working out and unusually more active I can eat more vegetables. Like on days I practice rock climbing at the gym I usually will eat more carbs. Plus I use a sauna daily. It really just depends on your activity level.

Also eating less protein will help you stay in deeper ketosis. Like on days I eat like 60g instead of my usual 80-90g Iíll have higher blood ketones

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 02:13:32 pm »
This is really great info.  I jog/ run 2 - 3 miles a day, plus weights 3 times a week, so maybe I can try to play with macros.  I've only recently been able to exercise like this again, so this is very helpful.  Thank you.