Author Topic: OCD  (Read 2361 times)

[Buddie]

Re: OCD
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 09:14:24 pm »
[...], I do that same annoying thing of panickign "what if i were capable of doing something bad" and I know good and well I would never do it, but I panick anyway and plus worrry what if I go cxrazy then wouldn't know what i was doing.  OCD is so annoying.  All i know is try CBT also.  It doesn't seem to totally get rid of it, but possibly it's helped some.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 09:41:38 pm »
Howey Mandel on drugs for his OCD. Near End of video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg14F72pY-4
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 07:01:54 am »
Hello Gman,

Yes! I believe you hit the nail on the head.

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 06:52:06 am »
thanks byby,

Very Interesting Story. It sure sheds some light on the things I wanted to know about OCD.  :thumbsup:

Is it safe to say  people diagnosed with OCD ignore the fact that OCD is making them fixated on 1 or 2 imaginary issues over and over and over?

No, it isn't. OCDers (like myself) are aware of this, it's just hard to focus on something else when it happens. We definitely don't ignore anything--that would imply a conscious choice.

You've probably experienced it before. You have this worrying thought that you know is illogical, but you can't get it out of your head. I believe it's usually called "intrusive thoughts" here. The CBT technique you have to learn is ignoring the thought when it first starts(which actually weakens it) rather than trying to stop it (which causes you to think about it).

To show how hard it is to do, I like this classic example: Don't think of a pink bunny. Impossible, right? To not think about it, you have to think about it.

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 10:02:03 pm »
The way I took Gmans reply was, although I was very aware of those thoughts, I failed to realize how much they were controlling me.

Sounds like you had a good Doctor to help you

[/quote]You've probably experienced it before. You have this worrying thought that you know is illogical, but you can't get it out of your head. I believe it's usually called "intrusive thoughts" here. The CBT technique you have to learn is ignoring the thought when it first starts(which actually weakens it) rather than trying to stop it (which causes you to think about it).
 And I agree with this 100%

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 10:04:55 pm »
I always know what I'm doing, but that doesn't mean it's easy to stop.  I've always been smart at noticing patterns, but then for some reason it's difficult to stop them.  And really a lot of my "problem" is this type of thing.  I'll obsess over something that does me no good to obsess over.  Although lately I've obsessed about something important... Although now it won't do any good to worry about that either.

Overall I feel great though.  I think I'm better at shifting focus than I was.  Since getting off the benzos I've felt awesome most days and I think my brain is more able to change things I want to change.

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 11:33:29 am »
The way I took Gmans reply was, although I was very aware of those thoughts, I failed to realize how much they were controlling me.

Well, yeah, I agree with that.

Sounds like you had a good Doctor to help you

Sure did. The best. If only my medicaid didn't stop paying for him. :(

Also, the CBT technique I mentioned even gets really hard for me in withdrawal. It's like I'm having to relearn all the CBT techniques, and that I'm having to work a lot more to apply them. When it works, it's awesome, though.