Do scales not read accruately below .125?

[mo...]

Maybe this is a silly question and I feel like I should know this, but now that I'm down to a low dose and scale is at .033, I feel like I can't get an accurate weight. I have started and stopped a micro taper but just prefer the cut a bit and hold route (I know, I am in the minority on this) so I went back to that. But is another reason for titration because at these low doses we cannot get an accurate weight? I have recalibrated my scale and it's weighing accurately when I test with heavier items but one minute my piece of a pill weighs .033 then it weighs .038. Is it time for titration and/or microtaper to get an accurate dose?

Calibrate your scale. Then leave one of the calibration weights in the tray and put your dose in with it. If that doesn't fix it than it has nothing to do with how much or how little you are weighing.

I have found the gem20 scale I got (the one Bella links to) to need lots of recalibration, time to warm up, and a totally silent still environment with no one else around. It has to be on the most level surface in the house, with no fan running anywhere in the house, TV off, phone not sitting too close, and the fridge not running. I can't breathe on it, lean on the counter, or wear shoes while using it. Occasionally I have to remove the weighing tray from the scale and run my finger over the surface. I have no idea what this does but sometimes it fixes the number jumping.

In other words, you are not alone. But if your problems only happen with small amounts, the calibration weight should fix it. You can even tare it with that weight on it, if you want, so you can see the actual weight of your material. Hope this works and your scale isn't just "haunted" like mine. :)

I also think it matter where  you sit your dose. If you calibrate the scale with the weights in one spot and then put your dose somewhere other than directly where the weights were i think that can affect the scales accuracy. Thats a theory.

I have the same scale as everyone else, I calibrate it every evening when i measure my dose. I thinking about measuring the diameter of the scale's plate (place for measuring) and marking it in the center, that way when i measure everything (weights, dosage etc) it will all be in the same exact place.

Thanks Waves and Ocean. I received another scale last night, the one Bob7 links to, and weighed using both. In most cases they were between .002 -.003 of each other, other times they matched so this gave me piece of mind. At least if they read similar I can split the difference and know I’m not way off in my dose. Best 35 dollars I’ve spent in a while!

• 4 weeks later...
Can someone please explain to me about weighing the pill whilst a weight is on the tray please? And are everyone's scales so ridiculously temperamental?

Can someone please explain to me about weighing the pill whilst a weight is on the tray please? And are everyone's scales so ridiculously temperamental?

Yes.

I was an analytical chemist in a laboratory. I hated weighing things.

Wavesontheshore has good advice. We just left the scale turned on all the time. If it was turned off it should be turned back on and allowed to warm up for at least an hour. Put the scale on a solid surface. In labs they're usually on a marble table. But even someone walking by will disturb the weight. Calibrate it daily with the internal switch (if it has one).

To weigh your pill with the weight, put the weight on the scale. Leave it there. Tare the balance so it reads "0.000" then weigh your pill. It might not make any difference, but hopefully your scale won't bounce around so much.