MRI with contrast

[8b...]

Definitely don't want to freak you out here, because if you really need an MRI w/ contrast, you should probably have one. But if there is any other option, if they can get a good enough view without the contrast or if there are other tests that can be done, it is worth asking about. The reason I say this is that it has been recently discovered that gadolinium,  the contrast agent for MRIs, stays in your body indefinitely, it is never fully cleared from the body. There are no known side effects, but because it is a permanent addition of heavy metal to the body, they are now required to give you a handout warning you about this (I assume so you cannot sue if any side effects are ever discovered).

That said, it is a very routine procedure here in the US and many people have had them, with no known issues after. When I had mine, I got a pinched nerve in my neck from the position my head was in, but other than that, I had no ill effects that I know of. However, if I had had time to read the handout, I may not have had the scan done because it wasn't strictly necessary.

If I remember correctly (mine was back in August), it was 15 minutes without contrast, then they pull you out and put the contrast material in through the iv, then another 15 minutes. It does feel like forever, though. Hope yours goes without a hitch. Make sure and drink a ton of water after to clear as much of it as possible.

do they always do contrast? they are looking for some brain anomaly related to hearing....

nobody told me about contast

If I remember correctly (mine was back in August), it was 15 minutes without contrast, then they pull you out and put the contrast material in through the iv, then another 15 minutes. It does feel like forever, though. Hope yours goes without a hitch. Make sure and drink a ton of water after to clear as much of it as possible.

Ask. If they can get enough of a view without it, request that they order it without. It will take less time, you won't need an iv, and you will avoid adding a foreign substance to your body.

just went this morning. they insisted on contrast IV. I said no thank and left.

this most likely is a completely useless procedure. I have the issue since 30 years (reduced hearing 1 year). what are they going to fix now?

my body does not need more pharma junk now.