"Dear Dr. Roach" on PAWS

[se...]

Wanted to post the below link for discussion.  Benzos aren't the whole story here obviously.  What do people think?  The doctor's response seems to be to talk to a "mental health professional well-versed in substance abuse".  No timeline but a slight assurance that symptoms "eventually will go away".  Does the doctor have it wrong?  What would be better advice?

https://herald-review.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/dear-dr-roach-recovering-addict-faces-unceasing-withdrawal-symptoms/article_b37a3978-a15f-5755-9e89-92d3752b24a9.html

For a general response, it actually sounds perfectly fine to me!  In context, I don't see anything to criticize regarding advice to seek a "mental health professional well-versed in substance abuse". 

"Treatment for PAWS may include medications; however, because the syndrome is poorly defined, there hasn't been much research on what drug treatment might be effective. Quetiapine (Seroquel) is a powerful antipsychotic drug that should not be used lightly. Commonsense approaches, such as regular moderate exercise, healthy nutrition and good sleep habits, can't hurt, but they are not likely to solve any serious mental health problem by themselves. I sense that you may feel your concerns are not taken seriously. The best advice is probably a mental health professional well-versed in substance abuse. Sometimes, just some reassurance that the symptoms are due to prolonged withdrawal and that they eventually will go away can provide relief. Further, knowing that the symptoms are likely to be temporary can make staying drug-free a little bit easier".

Not a bad response at all, no complaints from me.

I do think it's better than what most doctors would say or acknowledge but I think it could be better.  Many would deny the symptoms have anything to do with w/d.  It was a good opportunity to provide a lot more authoritative information but it was kind of a lackluster and safe response.  It's a shame it's controversial and that lack of acknowledgement in the medical community and readiness for a robust response likely has an effect on relapse and is indicative of the current state of affairs in treatment.  As the person asking the question says, their experience "makes staying sober very hard, and I wonder why I bother most of the time since I feel terrible and my quality of life is poor."  I think people go through this very often with psych meds too even if they taper slowly.  If people are prepared or at least have an idea of what they could experience, they might be able to help themselves more.  A timeline, common symptoms, stages, etc. could be discussed.  Also discussion of how important other types of support are like psychological, social, emotional would be helpful.  It seems to me it's far too common and we should know a lot more about it.