Skin/dryness issues?

[Lu...]

I was wondering if having really dry skin (never had it before) is part of withdrawals? I drink at least 64oz of water a day but still have severally dry skin on my face...is it possible for this to be a withdrawal symptom?

• 4 weeks later...

Well Ive ended up with dry hands on the finger tips mainly and dry feet ie the heels on my feet and haven't found anyone else on the forum who has this?

Shania

Well Ive ended up with dry hands on the finger tips mainly and dry feet ie the heels on my feet and haven't found anyone else on the forum who has this?

Shania

Oh, there are loads of us with dry skin , some all over, some in different places.  Really you are not alone :). Mary

Yep.  Super dry skin all over.  I've been really dehydrated the whole trip...so thirsty and can never get enough water too.  It's getting a little better now that I've jumped.  Still feel like one giant prune though...  Coconut water seems to help with the sensation of thirst.  And a tiny pinch of Himilayan pink salt in the Fiji water helped too.  Whenever I remember to do those things (cog fog  :) ) I feel better.

• 2 weeks later...
My skin is very dry and sensitive to the point where I can't wear any of my usual lotions or makeup at all any more. My hair has the funkiest texture too now. Nothing like it ever was before 6 months ago after going off of Klonopin too quickly after being on it for 5 years. I really struggle with feeling like I'm losing my looks so fast esp as I am expected to still be somewhat active and social. I do think alot of people on this sight, are experiencing the dry skin issues, tho. I guess the CNS turmoil can causes the weirdest symptoms!

Shania213,

Yes, my fingertips are very dry as are  the soles of my feet. My skin in general has been very dried and itchy for years while being on Xanax. Hope it improves later on.

Madeline1,

My hair has had so many weird changes since I started my taper, limp and straight, very fine and straight and now at the end of my taper, it is coarse and wavy. Before all this my hair had a soft wave and I hardly had any gray, now I have lots of gray and coarse and a tighter wave. At least I'm no loosing as much hair as I was loosing before. The hair loosing was an scary episode.

Best.

Lots of people here w/dry skin they didn't have before; anywhere/everywhere!  I feel that my skin just doesn't absorb or retain any moisture at all.  Face and body.  It's the itchiness that is the worst part.  Feels like sandpaper; I can hear it as I'm putting a lotion or cream on.  I've even added hyaluronic acid tincture to my routine, in hopes adding from the inside-out would help.  No noticeable improvement, but that's only been about 2 weeks, too soon to tell.

I have calve & ankle swelling along w/pain in the right ankle along w/the skin issues.  There are days when I'm awake for a day-1/2 before I get some rest.  I can't concentrate much on tv shows; I'm usually online, on telephone, or when I get it, the blessed relief of sleep.  I haven't been wholly functional for a long time now b/c I'd actually been in a state of benzo-tolerance w/d for 2 years prior to the start of the active taper last May (2018).  I just continue reminding myself; it's w/d sxs. (worsening all the time since end of December; making me wonder how I'm ever going to make the jump). 

Nice to see you here, madeline1.  Was wondering about you.

Good luck everyone. 

I’ve had dry skin and would possibly like to share some things I recently found that seem to working better. One thing though is my eyes are so dry! Ugh. I am posting quickly for now without saying much because I’d like to be able to come back and find this thread easily.

Thank you, buddies. Grateful for you people.

Cuz - I needed to hear your post this morning...all of it, but especially about how you keep reminding yourself it's just withdrawal - all this is bad but at least we're not alone thinking it's some other crazy thing falling apart.  Didn't know you could take hyalauronic acid internally.  Unless it's that coconut oil derivative???  The itch is so annoying for sure.  It feels creepy. Seemed to be lessening for awhile, then came back.

I'm having a hard time concentrating on TV shows too, and everything else, so it's harder to distract.  It's hard when sx worsen when I think it should start getting better.  Like right now!!  Everything in its time, I guess.  Patience and faith.  So two years tolerance withdrawal?  That must have been rough.  Did you know it was tolerance w/dr at the time?  It took me a year to catch on.

Maybe it's time to read a couple success stories to remind myself healing does happen.  Eventually.

mon pilote - I'm curious what you're doing for your eyes...  That's the scariest of the dry.  I've tried both store bought stuff and some homemade saline solutions.  Some days it's like cotton scraping against cotton.

:)Hi Welchie,  Thank you for your post. :angel::smitten:  You found the exact words to describe the eyes!!  And, like you, mon polite, I sometimes find my way back to posts; other times: disappointingly, no.  (On that, another big tip for getting through is learning to let go.  I let many things slide off my back that do bother me &/or disappoinments - I know best to just let go.)  I'd thought about not finding posts again, b/c I remembered reading about a superior dry eye relief product & never did find that thread again!  I'd purchased Visine Tired Eye Dry Eyes Relief.  Works very well, but I felt that too much of it ran out of my eyes after dropping in.  I'm big on research.  (I'm sure that's why my ankles have been swelling.  I'm spending lots of time online & not enough time moving.)  I think the other I'd read about may have been Systane b/c I do recall the name began with an "S".  I chose a different one instead, though: GenTeal Tears Lubricant Eye Drops for Dry Eye Relief - Moderate...these are working like a dream!  I feel the consistency is a bit thicker; less water-y, so I'm not feeling leakage after putting in & don't need to use as often; no stinging, no blurriness..wonderful product.  (Before this, I'd never required eye drops; only occasionally during worst allergies & for that I'd use Zaditor.  Also very effective.  My cousin had told me about them & I've passed the word along!  They are $; it's a tiny bottle, but lasts a long while.  - I had to go downstairs for it; I didn't remember that name & both are made by Alcon! 

Re: hyalauronic acid.  I'd already used it for years on my face & undereyes (not that I really even needed it, at that time) Trish McEvoy (cosmetics line) had it in their line for years before other brands.  I think b/c the company was in tandem w/T. McEvoy's husband.  I only know that b/c there was a glycolic face wash that was available @ Nordstrom & then they didn't carry it anymore.  The only way to purchase was able to purchase it was through  the husband's clinic.  Now it's on T. McEvoy website. I think it was on a post here, on the Alternative Therapies forum that I'd read someone using the h.a. internally.  More research & aronnd that same time, I'd begun purchasing vitamin & herbal supplements from Lucky Vitamin (where before, I'd usually order from Vitamin Shoppe).  Lucky Vitamin assigns customers associates who are very knowledgeable.  It was through my associate that I learned of Hyalogic products & they make Synovial Seven, which is the h.a. tincture/dropper, as well as other h.a. products.  (The S.S. is $$ though.  If I'm not feeling any type of improvement, I doubt I'll repurchase).  I've also added Aloe Vera capsules, but I'd forgotten which ones I'd taken a number of years ago.  I know these (Solaray) aren't the ones, b/c these are capsules; the other was more of a bullet-shaped maize-colored gelatin; possibly Nature's Way. 

Re: Tolerance w/d for 2 years.  No, had no idea at the time that's what I was experiencing.  I was becoming increasingly more reclusive and depressed, but I'd had a gynecological procedure shortly before that began, so I'd thought it was due to that.  It wasn't a hysterectomy; I'd managed to avoid that throughout my childbearing years, despite having Stage IV endometriosis (had 8 surgeries, instead! 6 laparotomies & 2 laparoscopies; the last laparoscopy removing 1 tube & ovary), along w/hormone blockers and IVF drugs.  A 7-year roller coaster.  It was a hysteroscopy w/D & C & polypectomy; 2 benign polyps removed.  But, I'd never felt the same after that, so I'd thought that scraping the entire inside of my uterus from the inside, must have disturbed any scar tissue (& I'm sure there had to be a lot).  By that time, I hadn't been requiring any intricate gyn.; just standard pap's, so I didn't ask gyn. enough questions, or stress my history w/her (it was a new gyn. for me).  I don't know if she'd even been aware of my longstanding prior history.  Some type of measurement came back abnormal & that's reason for that procedure. -  I'll still never know; it seems like such a big confluence of events, but between what could be tolerance w/d & what could be hormone-related, how can anyone ever tell which is causing which?  I'd only realized that it was probably tolerance w/d after I was in active taper, b/c by then, I'd begun conducting large amounts of research.  Firm believer in Knowledge Is Power.  And, so very importantly...thank goodness for benzobuddies! :thumbsup::smitten:

P.S. You can feel free to P.M. me & I'll try to be on the boards here a little more; sharing here brings some peace of mind.  I do need to remember how important it is to visit; not to obsess, but I do need the reminder that what I'm going through - I'm not the only one (not that it's misery loves company; it just helps to keep the doubts & fears at bay)

Not only is my skin dried, but it has lost all its elasticity, my arms look so bad I refuse to wear short sleeves. Hope this gets better when I gain some of the twelve pounds I’ve lost.

The wonders of benzo withdrawal.

Yeah Demelza...the wonders of benzo withdrawal...they never cease to amaze me!!!  I have the same thing with skin elasticity and lots of weight loss.

Cuzkk - thanks for taking the time to post us all with your tips.  Going to look into the Gentle Tears product.  It's one thing to have dry skin and another when the eyes feel like they're in danger.  Same here...PM any time.

We're going to get through this by hook or by crook.  And knowledge is power indeed.  So isn't the wonderful support here!!

Hugs to everyone.

My throat is very dry and at the same time I have post nasal drip...has anyone experience these symptoms?

I’ve had this for the past two months.

Thanks

:)Hiya Gals~Thanks so much for welcome & kind thoughts! :smitten:

Welchie, I hope if you try the GenTeals they work out as well for you as I feel they are.  It was reaching a point where I was becoming concerned all my eye rubbing (w/such dryness) might end up scraching my corneas!  As long as I can remember in my adult life, I'd been very careful about Not rubbing my eyes; only doing once in A.M. to remove any "sleepers".  I don't recall if my Mom/Grandmother had put it in my head that doing so would create lines later in life, or that an older cousin was always rubbing her eyes (& years later, w/aging, her undereyes did look as though they'd taken a hit).  I can recall my Grandma wetting her finger & smoothing my eyebrows as a young child, so they'd be thin, arched & smooth; not thick or unruly.  I do remember plucking, maybe once, as a teenager, prob. b/c best friend plucked hers!  I think what Grandma did worked! -  Now, brows are very trendy...seems so odd to me, that hair everywhere else is removed & brows are a big thing!!  I actually find them a little distracting, depending on actress...that sometimes I'm watching their eyebrows more than following dialogue, since when they're young, their foreheads aren't frozen yet w/injections & those brows do a lot of bobbing up & down! :laugh:

Mon Polite, Your response was very touching, especially as my sensitive feelings were offended on a completely different type community forum venue shortly before that..all resolved w/other member.  I was going to reach out to you that night, but I was so moved I thought the tears would begin if I tried to respond at that time. :'(  (I've actually trained myself not to cry, as much as I can,  since I've had sinus troubles for at least 20 years & b/c everything seems to be so inflammed currently, that certainly doesn't help sinuses).  All's resolved w/that member there & I was even able to put that experience in perspective and it ended up being a very meaningful exchange, as it reminded me of just how wonderful my life has been, overall, discounting some of the more miserable life-altering events, especially of late.

Hi Demelza, I sometimes will have a dry throat, too...scratchy; sometimes hoarse.  I'll take a little cough syrup along w/full glass of water.  Being adequately hydrated is so important (for everyone; not only benzo w/d folks).

I'm posting a link here (hope it "takes") on Black Currant Seed Oil.  I just found this information today b/c I'd done a search for finding supplements to help dry skin issues.  I'm figuring whatever I can add, naturally, to help from the inside out, I'll try, since I feel that whatever I'm putting "on" isn't really absorbing & after awhile it's just building up.  I'm going to see if anyone's posted on this on the alternative therapy forum & reach out to my Lucky Vitamin representative, too, but it's here if you're interested.  I can't take Evening Primrose Oil, which is also mentioned & I'm already taking Vit. C, Vit. B, esp. B-12, Vit. D & Omega-3s. 

P.S. Remember if/when you do add any alternative supplements, add 1 at a time; otherwise, if you develop any adverse reactions, if you've added more than 1, you won't know which has caused reaction. ;)  Hugs to you all :smitten:  Here's link:

https://www.healthline.com/health/health-benefits-black-currant#skin-soother