• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [In...]

• [mo...]

• [Lo...]

• [se...]

I'm glad this has come out!! I wish all states could have the same thing. I especially like this: establish protocols for practitioners to follow including a slow, patient controlled tapering. It's way past the time when this should have been implemented, but better late than never!

© prohibit a practitioner or pharmacist from prescribing or dispensing a benzodiazepine or a non-benzodiazepine hypnotic unless pharmacist and practitioner has furnished the patient the pamphlet provided for in paragraph (b) of this section, and has collected the patient’s signed consent form, as determined by the Department of Health;

(d) require bold lettering labels on benzodiazepine or non-benzodiazepine hypnotic prescriptions to alert patients to the risk of addiction; and

(e) prohibit one benzodiazepine or one non-benzodiazepine hypnotic prescription to exceed four weeks unless there is a proven medical need, medical exception, or both.

ALLELUIA!!!

I would like the use to be less than 4 weeks; more like days to me, but beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks for this, seltzerer!! This brightened my day!

I'm glad this has come out!! I wish all states could have the same thing. I especially like this: establish protocols for practitioners to follow including a slow, patient controlled tapering. It's way past the time when this should have been implemented, but better late than never!

© prohibit a practitioner or pharmacist from prescribing or dispensing a benzodiazepine or a non-benzodiazepine hypnotic unless pharmacist and practitioner has furnished the patient the pamphlet provided for in paragraph (b) of this section, and has collected the patient’s signed consent form, as determined by the Department of Health;

(d) require bold lettering labels on benzodiazepine or non-benzodiazepine hypnotic prescriptions to alert patients to the risk of addiction; and

(e) prohibit one benzodiazepine or one non-benzodiazepine hypnotic prescription to exceed four weeks unless there is a proven medical need, medical exception, or both.

ALLELUIA!!!

I would like the use to be less than 4 weeks; more like days to me, but beggars can't be choosers.

You're welcome, Terry38!  I wonder who is behind this.  I like "patient controlled" too.  So important.

The Nine Most Terrifying Words: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

[nobbc]

[/nobbc]

best wishes

Edit: Deactivated political link

[nobbc]

[/nobbc]

best wishes

Edit: Deactivated quoted political link

Fi Addendum,  I understand you're still on a benzo.  You may have an opinion to contribute on this type of legislation.  Perhaps you'd like to share it instead of hiding behind innuendos.

[9a...]

[nobbc]

[/nobbc]

best wishes

Fi Addendum,  I understand you're still on a benzo.  You may have an opinion to contribute on this type of legislation.  Perhaps you'd like to share it instead of hiding behind innuendos.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

[nobbc]

[/nobbc]

best wishes

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

I understand BB policy and moderator/administrator admonitions are to not discuss politics, and in keeping with those policies and admonitions I will not go into the specific reasons that Sean T. Kean and other politicians should not be involved in citizens' personal patient/doctor medical care and treatment plans.

One can only hope that other BB members, moderators and administrators will abide by their own policies.

best wishes

• 2 weeks later...

ALLELUIA!!!

So this seems like a very good idea. But how do we know what states say what? Survey all states in some way?

And “establish protocols with practioners “ gives the practioner more control than one might think. I can envision arguments between the practitioners and the patient over what is the practioners “protocol” and what is a slow, patient controlled taper. It would just seem to me that you can’t have both at the same time. Either the practitioner uses his/her “protocol” or the patient is controlling the taper.

I guess I have been fortunate because I always have been provided with the pamphlets needed to explain all the information required at that pharmacy, but I haven’t received anything ever by the practioner. I just figure one pamphlet is enough. I have everyone of them. And they always require me to sign for the prescription so that’s not a problem for me.

Bold lettering? It’s true that I had no idea what had been prescribed initially, but I sure do now. Maybe the pharmacist or the practioner should inform the patient by reading a statement so that the patient will know what they are getting. That way, the patient will maybe ask questions before filling the Rx.

Or they might be more confused. Explaining this can be somewhat confusing I think for a first timer.

I’m am not thrilled with this last one however. I am still on a benzo, and not because I like that or because I’m confused. I like nothing about any of this and I’m definitely not confused one bit.

The one and only reason is that I’ve been switched from one generic clonazepam 6 times now. I keep trying to taper and have tapered 1/2 of my original dose, but keep getting stopped dead in my tracks because of all these generic switches.

I highly sensitized now, and will continue to get acclimated and then taper, but because of that, I think that that this last one will benefit future users, but will harm me.

And believe it or not, I am interested in myself. Seriously, I am!

So no Alleluia from me for this last one.

Those of us still trying to taper might want to continue trying to get off and have all who are off benzos mind their own business.

And let’s do keep the politics out of all this.

I, too, am very concerned that providers will react by rushing patients off too fast. Doctors believe that a slow taper is about 2 months. They may or may not buy into an Ashton taper, but I highly doubt that patient controlled tapers will be the norm. Esperanza

This is a problem, I know. I was thinking about that myself. But it clearly says establish protocols for practitioners to follow including a slow, patient controlled tapering. I'm hoping that physicians will allow their patients to follow their own protocol. Otherwise a lawsuit would be entitled by the patient, I believe.

Terry, I’m hoping that too, but will they? Generally, the doc is the boss, so they may or may not. We don’t know what the doc will decide.

And a good politician will call upon doctors as experts in this field to make an honest assessment. But do doctors even know enough to do that? Some, but not enough.

I’m sure many lawsuits have been filed, but how many have been successful? I guess Luke Montague in England, but their laws and ours are not the same. I sure don’t want some “gung ho” regulation making me do a rapid detox or a CT. I just want off the best way I know of which is a slow, patient controlled , hold as needed taper. And I would love it if these drug manufacturers would allow me to stay on the same generic long enough to do just that.

And I got to thinking about this, so if this Sean T. Kean has some kind of conflicts of interest regarding this sort of legislation, it should be disclosed. Doctors have to disclose their conflicts of interest whether they are testifying or in written articles that they have written. There should be clear transparency for everyone involved whether it be patients, providers, or law makers.

Anything short of this is to me a sham.

Well, if it is a law, patients have the right to sue if doctors cannot (or won't) follow through with the mandate. I'm betting lawyers will want to be involved in this, so the patient won't be left hanging.

We have to wait and see. Overall, I see it as a very good sign of much-needed change.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I know about the BIC.

Their address is in my state, just down the road from where I live. Midvale, Utah.

So if the protical for a slow, patient controlled taper is the way it truly works, I have no problem with that. And I have no problem with a 4 week limitation for folks who use these drugs for the first time, and this other “stuff.”

Just let me get on with my damn taper, and let’s have Everything OUT IN THE OPEN, including full transparency for doctors, patients, and POLITICIANS.

I’ve never Cold Turkeyed a thing, and I’m not on anything else as in NOTHING, and I’m not on any AD whatsoever which is also a huge problem for many to taper, so all I want is to be left alone.

No forced CTs or rapid tapers, no ADs as it seems plenty of doctors think an AD will substitute for a benzo when only a benzo will substitute for a benzo.

And while we’re telling the truth here, the BIC has its address right here in Utah, but all of its directors are back east from what I know, and Dr. Huff lives in Texas. Try to find that address in Midvale Utah, and you won’t find it. I know because I’ve looked. Rather annoying that an office or a Dropbox doesn’t exist. Maybe it’s a P.O. Box for all I know.

Oh, and I’m not doing the PRN thing either. Just trying to get acclimated as in 6 times now.to different generic versions of clonazepam. All I want is to be left alone. Not trying to sue anyone, but if I get forced off by some guns ho idiot legislator, I will sue.

Doesn’t anyone here get politicians? Making “back room deals” all the time. Almost the entire Republican Party of the US has been a rubber stamp for

Trump, so how about that?

Don’t want to talk about politics on BB? Then let’s leave that out of everything.

Another thought popped into my mind. I’ve heard for years here on BB that “we” are in the minority of people who have trouble coming off benzos, so is that true or what?

And if it’s true, then there’s a real possibility that’s the reason the all these doctor don’t get it. If most of their patients have no trouble or very little trouble coming off, then how are they to be expected to understand this sort of thing?

I’m fairly sure they get little or no education about any of this in medical school. How do I know that?

I asked the pharmacist at the shopco I got my Rx from. He graduated from pharmacy school at the university of Utah and he said he got no formal education about benzos there. And I asked him about the medical school there also. And he said “Nope.”

Doctors at the medical school get none either. I asked him if there were any classes whatsoever for anyone there about benzos, and he said there was one. It was for court ordered youth who were getting high using a variety of substances, and benzos were barely mentioned since there’s a lot of stuff to get people high.

And when I couldn’t find the BIC after I had first heard of them, I posted here on BB, “Does this place exist?” And I got immediate reply’s from Hope76 here and others. “Oh yes, it does exist.” Turned into quite an good discussion as Hope said “our biggest problem is doctor education. “

Seems like that’s it then. Doctors don’t know because they’re not taught in medical school. So let’s get them taught. Let’s rally for classes at these med schools.

Or maybe have all these back room Politicians force these doctors to take classes designed by the politicians. Now there’s a great idea. Wonderful!

Well, then, dammit, get busy politicians and educate these doctors since according to DR. Huff, that’s the biggest problem. And I’m not doubting it is a big problem, but please get busy and just do that.

Go meet with the deans of colleges, explain the problems, and start the educating!!!

I’m just like anyone else here; I have problems that get to me. Like grocery shopping, worries about family. Getting the bills paid. So why can’t we leave people to taper in peace? Why does Benzos in the News constantly focus on this?

So much of the time, its not even about benzos either. There’s a lot of articles about ADs, APs also. Those are not benzos people on Benzos in the News if you don’t realize that. Nope, ADs and APs and mood stabilizers or whatever the article is about, these articles are not about Benzos.

I thick Benzos in the News should be about Benzos. Just a thought.

No thoughts or replies from anyone?

Why not?  I do have other things to do today, but I’ll see something later on today.

If everyone on Benzos in the News is off “their “ benzo, then why not support others who are still trying to taper? 

Why try to frighten others who are doing their best to get off?

I thought BB is a support site, but maybe I’m wrong.

Hi Intend,

I don't feel comfortable weighing in about any of the political or legal things related to the U.S. because I don't live there, but I'm definitely interested in what is happening there. That's why I posted a bit earlier in this thread. So...I'm reading, I'm interested, but I can't respond directly to some of your points.

On the issue of what gets posted in the Benzos in the News section, there's a little description under that title when you start at the main forum page, and it says the following: "General news media items about benzodiazepines, other medications, and related subjects", so that's why there are articles on related subjects and meds other than benzos.

Other than that, I certainly want to wish you well with your taper.

Thank you for your response Lapis. I wouldn’t  feel confident or comfortable commenting on the laws or political situation in Canada either.

But I do have to say that I think you’ve got a very good and capable person in Justin Trudeau.

What’s going on the US is pretty irrational and just plain stupid in my opinion.

I did look at the “fine print” below the title Benzos in the News and saw what you referred to.

There is the other section: Other Medications also. It doesn’t  seem to get as much “traffic” as Benzos in the News. I’m guessing the reason for that is the people who post there are still on their benzo and want to find out how those other medications can affect them and their taper.

If we really want to educate these doctors, if that is the true goal, then it’s time to go directly to the medical schools no matter where we live and not leave this up to any politician who wants a star on their chest. Let’s go to the medicals schools and try to get this subject on their curriculum.

And thank you for wishing me well on my taper. At this point, I’m wishing myself well on my taper also. It’s no ”fun” at all being switched from one generic to another and maintaining my sanity. I’m trying very hard; it’s awful, and the very last thing I need is reading what I’m now perceiving as scary articles about other people’s suffering. I’m suffering enough right now by what is happening to me.

[9a...]

The internet is filled with places where folks are free to engage in political fights, but BenzoBuddies is not one of them – please stop the political commentary now.

Thank you.

Hi Intend,

I just wanted to mention an experience I had some time ago (a couple years ago maybe?) that gave me a tiny bit of hope with regards to education about benzos. I had called a distress centre phone line one evening because...well...I was in distress. Anyway, the person that I talked to was majoring in psychology at university, and when I described my situation, she said, "I know about that! We learned about it one of our classes..." Wow! I was pretty impressed. Now, I don't know if similar info is discussed in other health-related fields at that university (one of three very good universities in this city), but still, I was pleasantly surprised to know that benzo withdrawal was in the curriculum for psychology students there.

Intend, I didn’t read the news section when I was on or tapering or in acute phases of brain and bodily injury by benzodiazepines.

I understand where you are coming from in only wanting to see stories on benzodiazepines and I also understand the fear of having them withheld or the supply you need cut off before you are ready to be through with the prescription. I don’t think any of us want to see that happen, what I want to see is a recognition of our problem and informed consent about what these drugs do.

The pharmaceutical industry effects nearly all branches of medicine today, directly and indirectly, and the companies which comprise this industry sell other drugs. Benzodiazepines aren’t covered by the media very often, and when they are the facts about them are distorted and some left out entirely. The drug companies use similar tactics and strategies for the other drugs they sell, to those they use for benzodiazepines. Many of us who have been or are going through this have an interest in what happens with various psych drugs including benzodiazepines in terms of how they are created, regulated, marketed, sold and used in various medical fields and practices because of what has happened to us. In order to get a clear, objective and factual picture it makes sense to see what information is and isn’t being shared on all psych drugs and the quality and kind of information in medical journals and in media outlets which is available about them.

Many of us have curious minds and our interest in what is to be found in terms of all kinds of information is often rooted in how these medications are allowed to affect the population. In order to be as fully aware of what is going on with benzodiazepines as possible, it makes sense to look at all these different areas and other meds.

If people who have been through what we have, have accurate info and objective facts about the status of these drugs and how they are used, there is a better chance that the correct information would someday finally get out and that any policies or laws that come into effect benefit rather than further harm those who have not yet been prescribed these drugs, are on them and taking them as prescribed, are on them and tapering from a prescription and even those who are already off but who’s lives have been greatly impacted by the misinformation and improper prescribing of them.

Does that make any sense? I highly doubt you would find anyone here who would support doctors being advised to rip their patients off of benzodiazepines, rather I think that the opinions of those taking interest in Benzos in the News will have opinions of the contrary position which include guidelines, laws and policy to protect those already on benzodiazepines and those on and significantly disabled and harmed by them.

If everyone on Benzos in the News is off “their “ benzo, then why not support others who are still trying to taper? 

Thank you for saying this. I have a lot of issues tapering, and it's taking a long time, and sometimes I feel like a 2nd class citizen here for still being "on the benzo" where the others have made it off. I am all for people being proud to be off their benzos, but does that mean that the rest of us who are struggling need to feel like we're a bunch of losers who can't get off their benzos? This is one of the biggest reasons why I am not on this site as much as I used to be.

Thank you for saying this. I have a lot of issues tapering, and it's taking a long time, and sometimes I feel like a 2nd class citizen here for still being "on the benzo" where the others have made it off. I am all for people being proud to be off their benzos, but does that mean that the rest of us who are struggling need to feel like we're a bunch of losers who can't get off their benzos? This is one of the biggest reasons why I am not on this site as much as I used to be.

One reason it’s challenging for me to be supportive is I am protracted and still feel like absolute sh*t most of the time. When I get a window it is my gift to myself to try and experience any feelings of wellness I am able.

I’m sorry that there seems to be this kind of divide. I don’t know what to say, I’m not well yet and I don’t judge those of us who cannot be off yet when I am.

My windows have not been stress free, nor have they been prolonged. They also haven’t been complete and total windows of 100% feeling healthy and healed. Also, I do support others. In fact I’m also very emotionally invested in our cause.

One reason it’s challenging for me to be supportive is I am protracted and still feel like absolute sh*t most of the time. When I get a window it is my gift to myself to try and experience any feelings of wellness I am able.

I’m sorry that there seems to be this kind of divide. I don’t know what to say, I’m not well yet and I don’t judge those of us who cannot be off yet even though I am.

Thanks mon pilote. I certainly understand protracted, and I don't blame anyone wanting to take time off for themselves to heal. All I wanted to say is that even within the benzo communities, there seems to be a wide gap between severity of symptoms and suffering, so people have tough time wrapping their head around other people's suffering.

Which leads me to the next point and that is "If people in benzo recovery communities have hard time understanding other people's suffering at times, it is no wonder that general public has so much trouble understanding this."

And sometimes, it's not just even severity of suffering. It's the duration of suffering and the type of suffering and also an emergence of other health issues that have either been directly caused by benzos or have been significantly contributed by benzos. The fact that these drugs maim in ever differing ways is probably another reason why a consensus on the harm done may be hard to reach.

I’m sorry that there seems to be this kind of divide. I don’t know what to say, I’m not well yet and I don’t judge those of us who cannot be off yet even though I am.

Thanks mon pilote. I certainly understand protracted, and I don't blame anyone wanting to take time off for themselves to heal. All I wanted to say is that even within the benzo communities, there seems to be a wide gap between severity of symptoms and suffering, so people have tough time wrapping their head around other people's suffering.

Which leads me to the next point and that is "If people in benzo recovery communities have hard time understanding other people's suffering at times, it is no wonder that general public has so much trouble understanding this."

I do think there is a gap, all kinds of gaps of understanding even within the community. That is one thing I am a huge proponent of, discussion and understanding.

It’s good to get these things out, I agree. It’s good to capitalize on opportunities for better understanding, I feel. Thanks.