Brand New and learning

[jn...]

Hello all, as you can see I had a doctor get me to a high dose of Ativan and I never thought of the consequences. Everytime I had a Psych appointment I would say I was tired and he would blame depression not sedation. I'm trying hard to forgive myself for being so trusting and dumb. I have found a primary doctor to help me reinstate with Valium 20mg daily. I meet with him Thursday the 7th day and will try to switch to liquid Valium to get used to it now instead of later and will go to 18mg. In Nov 1 I was pulled CT so I know the hell of that so hopefully tapering is hard but less hellish. Any advice or comments I really welcome thank you for accepting me.

Hello all, as you can see I had a doctor get me to a high dose of Ativan and I never thought of the consequences. Everytime I had a Psych appointment I would say I was tired and he would blame depression not sedation. I'm trying hard to forgive myself for being so trusting and dumb. I have found a primary doctor to help me reinstate with Valium 20mg daily. I meet with him Thursday the 7th day and will try to switch to liquid Valium to get used to it now instead of later and will go to 18mg. In Nov 1 I was pulled CT so I know the hell of that so hopefully tapering is hard but less hellish. Any advice or comments I really welcome thank you for accepting me.

Hi jng, just wanted to welcome you to BB - and to tell you,

I'm trying hard to forgive myself for being so trusting and dumb.

it's not your fault   :hug:  :mybuddy:

I know how difficult it is to get past those feelings, i've had more than my share of them and I imagine almost every buddy here felt the same way.  Please be gentle with yourself, it's not your fault you were misinformed or uninformed like most of us.  You can however, get informed now and this will help you so much.  I was told by my PDOC that if I woke up in the middle of the night I could "just take another (1mg) pill"    :idiot:  I can't offer you taper or dosage insight as I'm brand new to all of this myself, but if i could share just one thing with you it would be take your time, and be kind to yourself.  You deserve it.

Treat yourself like you are the beloved guest of honor at a gathering.

:hug:  :smitten:

-PH 🌷

Sorry to hear about your situation.

If the Dr will let you reinstate at 20mg of liquid valium, I would try to take the 20 mg a day, maybe split into two doses per the Ashton plan, until you are relatively stable and then slowly taper at a rate of no more than 5-10% every 10 days to 2 weeks.  Some people find  a slower taper more tolerable and may only taper by 5-10% every month.  Liquid valium has the advantage of letting you microtaper--that is taper a small amount every day so that the total amount reduced comes out the the 5%-10% every 2 weeks to a month.  The slow daily microtaper is easier on your central nervous system.

Here is a link to a thread where I discuss my experiences with microtapering with liquid valium over the course of several posts:  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=209572.msg2763687#msg2763687

I'm not sure I understand the term microtaper daily. Is that saying basically you are reducing your dosage on a daily basis rather then weekly? I am following Ashton plan sort of and am at 10mg 2xdaily. My next step would be 9mg 2x daily and hold 7 days correct? You say this is easier done now and furthermore by switching to liquid Valium? Am I understanding correctly thanks