Suffering from depression

[da...]

I stopped taking Ativan over 6 months ago, and haven’t had a Benzo since then. I had been taking Ativan for over 20 years for anxiety and realized I was dependent and had to stop. I volantarily entered detox to wean off safely in 7 days. Everyone told me that I would feel better than I ever had when I was taking Ativan. However, I’ve been depressed for months without a break. I haven’t felt happiness, even being content or slightly relaxed, during that span. I go to therapy and do congnitive excercises that just don’t seem to work for me right now. I know they can be effective, but I’m simply too depressed now. Any advice? Thanks

As a lifelong sufferer of depression, early in taper, I had an oppressive bout that covered me deeply. I never believed I would get thru this.  It will pass. I just prayed to get thru every day. Sometimes minute by minute: Do ANYTHING OUtside everyday and look up to the sky.  It will pass!!!

Thanks. It’s good to know that it gets better. I went from 6mg of Ativan per day to the detox plan - 6mg on day 1 and 1mg less per day for the next 6 days, and then I was “released into the wild” with nothing but Mirtzipine and Meletonin. I actually did pretty well early in my recovery, but the depression hit 3 months in and it has not relented. Any opinions on Pharma Gama as a way to relax? My doc gives me Visteral and it has zero impact to help me clam down. Would it be bad for me to get 1 Ambien to finally get a good night of sleep and possibly get this thing changing in the right direction? I’m craving just a few hours of relaxation and contentment. Thanks

Another quick question - was my detox too fast or the wrong approach? I read about people tapering off Benzos over months and years. I detoxed in 7 days after taking it for over 20 years. I feel like I may have been rushed. Thanks

Oh Danson...it was MILES too fast, but don’t beat yourself up about that...you were trustingly and obediently obeying what you saw as professional advice. You got really crap advice though and that’s why you’re in this pickle now. I don’t know what strategy you might use to get yourself out of the poo but there are lots of people on this forum who will have suggestions. I hope they get in touch....

Thanks for the feedback. I felt like the 7 day taper was fast. Are there any doctors that anyone would recommend in PA that I should see to help me with this and to give me better guidance and advice? Would appreciate recommendations since the docs in my area clearly have little knowledge on Benzos.

I doubt my docs would prescribe MMJ.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...