MD prescribed taper plan - lorazepam -> diazepam

[si...]

Hi Everybody!

Hope you guys are doing well and thank you so much for this amazing support community!

I'm really fortunate my new doctor recognizes the harm benzos do and gave me a taper plan yesterday.  I just started it last night, and definitely feel more groggy this morning than usual, moving from lorazepam to diazepam.  Other than that, I am cautiously hopeful. 

I've been taking 1mg lorazepam at bedtime, for 4 months, without any big issues, but know that's too long from all the research I've done (and read on BB).  So I must begin tapering & stop any benzos entirely.  You guys are an invaluable resource for which I am so grateful!

I want to share my doctor's taper plan with everybody, in hope's it can provide another baseline for those of you unsupported by the medical community.  This is a faster pace than the Ashton Method.  I know we're all different and your mileage may vary, but at least this is a starting point from someone in the medical community who's supportive.  My next appointment is in a month, for us to check progress and readjust if necessary.  He also encouraged me to call his office if I have any problems. 

Here's his prescribed taper plan, moving me directly onto diazepam to get off the lorazepam: 

10mg diazepam nightly for 1 week ->

8mg diazepam nightly for 1 week ->

6mg diazepam nightly for 1 week ->

5mg diazepam nightly for 1 week ->

4mg diazepam nightly for 1 week ->

3mg diazepam nightly for 1 week ->

2.5mg diazepam nightly for 2 weeks ->

2mg diazepam nightly for 2 weeks ->

1mg diazepam nightly for 2 weeks ->

.5mg diazepam nightly for 2 weeks ->

stop.

xo,

sierra7

I think this taper schedule might be a bit too fast too. An example is when you cut 2 mg at once.

Definitely listen to your body and the amount of side effects you're dealing with in order to decide whether you need to slow it down a bit more.

I really appreciate the feedback that this taper plan may be too fast, PerAsperaAdAstra & Hopeforrecovery!  Thank you both for taking the time.  :)

Yes - I'm staying in the driver's seat and not allowing the medical community to dictate.  From my bad experience, and reading so many of yours, I do not fully trust any of them to know what's right for me.

I'm also thinking, after 2 nights of a complete transition from 1mg lorazepam to 10mg diazepam, that's too radical.  Since my 4 month history is only taking the lorazepam 1x/bedtime, without perceptible interdose withdrawal symptoms, but knowing I need to get off it, I'm kinda unsure if the transition to diazepam is worth going through a bunch of new symptoms (grogginess til noon is the main one, so far).

I may just take the current plan (extend timeframes + even them out) and recalculate the diazepam dosages into lorazepam equivalents (1mg lorazepam = 10mg diazepam).  I've just ordered a jeweler's scale (measures to .001g) to prepare for smaller doses.

Constructive feedback on this approach would be great.

Wishing you the best & thank you!

xo,

sierra7

I wish you a lot of wisdom in order to decide whether or not you will crossover to diazepam.

I always hear that tapering off a benzo with a longer half-life is easier, although several people here taper off of other benzos with a short half-life.

By the way, according to my information one mg of lorazepam equals 5 mg of diazepam. This might shorten your path to 0 mg... How did your MD come up with 10 mg?

Thank you!  I need all the wisdom the universe will grant me!  ::)

According to Ashton, 1mg lorazepam = 10mg diazepam:  https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha01.htm#4

Wow - if it's actually your calculation, that would totally explain the extreme sedation as I'd have been doubling the "equivalent" dose, thinking it was a taper for the last 2 days!

Love to have others chime in as to the correct conversion so I (and others reading) can get this correct.

With gratitude,

sierra7

Hold your horses! I based the conversions on the Dutch pharmacy standards. According to them 1 mg of Lora equals 5 mg of Dia.

But according to Ashton it indeed is 10 mg. So I was wrong, derp! Doesn't the extreme sedation might be caused by the fact that diazepam might be more hypnotic?

I really appreciate the feedback that this taper plan may be too fast, PerAsperaAdAstra & Hopeforrecovery!  Thank you both for taking the time.  :)

Yes - I'm staying in the driver's seat and not allowing the medical community to dictate.  From my bad experience, and reading so many of yours, I do not fully trust any of them to know what's right for me.

I'm also thinking, after 2 nights of a complete transition from 1mg lorazepam to 10mg diazepam, that's too radical.  Since my 4 month history is only taking the lorazepam 1x/bedtime, without perceptible interdose withdrawal symptoms, but knowing I need to get off it, I'm kinda unsure if the transition to diazepam is worth going through a bunch of new symptoms (grogginess til noon is the main one, so far).

I may just take the current plan (extend timeframes + even them out) and recalculate the diazepam dosages into lorazepam equivalents (1mg lorazepam = 10mg diazepam).  I've just ordered a jeweler's scale (measures to .001g) to prepare for smaller doses.

Constructive feedback on this approach would be great.

Wishing you the best & thank you!

xo,

sierra7

It's a reasonable schedule. Although lorazepam can be a rough drug, you haven't been on it for that long.

Transitioning to diazepam is not for everyone, some people prefer a direct taper. Whichever works. As for fast cuts, diazepam accumulates a lot so in some ways the cuts are not that fast - considering your low dose and short time on the drug.

You might want to consider slowing down a bit at the end, but that's a guess on my part.

Hi liberty -

I appreciate your validation that transitioning to a new benzo is not for everyone & that the initial plan pace is reasonable.  Thank you.  I'm going to rework my plan & incorporate your suggestion of slowing down at the end. 

From reading so many of your experiences & drawing from that wisdom, a taper plan is really general guidelines which may be individually adjusted to one' s circumstances.  It is not set in stone.  I love this approach because it keeps each of us in better control and going at a pace we can best handle.

Maybe for me, staying with 'the devil I know' (lorezepam) and not introducing a new unknown one (diazepam) may work, especially once I get that scale.

When I rework a direct taper plan (general guideline), I'll put it up on the direct taper group for review & feedback.  Wouldn't that be the correct group?

xo,

sierra7

Hi,

I am tapering from 1mg of lorazepam (ativan) for sleep over many years. Its going well with a liquid micro taper which is so simple to do.....and I mean that! Why not try it. I had a few withdrawal symptoms initially as I dropped .25mgs  but have never slept better than I do now in years and I'm at .630 mgs now . The taper should take about 5 months in all but can be adjusted as suits.

The poster here called "builder" worked it out for me and I have slowed it down while travelling twice so far.

Wishing you all the best....you will make it for sure.

Difference is that sierra7 has been on it for a 'short' time. For some the transitioning from tablet to liquid has been rough. My suggestion is to stick with tablets if possible.

I don't know what's possible locally, if they prescribe 0.5 or 0.25 mg tablets.

I really appreciate all your responses!  :smitten: 

Once I get the .001g scale in a few days, I can begin calculating exact doses by weight.  That'll allow me to use the same 1mg lorazepam tablets I have to taper when I get beyond cutting accuracy. 

Weighing a tablet, then crushing it will make creating any tapering percentage possible.  This seems pretty simple to me & there's a bunch of examples in the forums.

xo,

sierra7