Day 7, do I go inpatient now?

[Sa...]

Hi,

I'm sorry you are suffering, but you are in acute withdrawal now, and acute symptoms are normal at this point.

I don't understand what you mean by going inpatient?  Are you talking about a detox center?  Many of us have had horrible experiences at such places, which exist mainly to make money, and usually cold turkey patients off benzos as soon as they walk in.

Benzo withdrawal and recovery is a long term journey, which takes weeks if not months.  It's hard, but that is the reality.  It's a waiting game.  Things will get better in time.

:smitten:

I was on Klonopin for 30 years and quit in 1 month.  I found that every time I went to the ER or doctor for this or that horrible symptom, they just offered me medications.  And that is really the last thing you need right now.  It's terribly frightening to go through this.  Most of us who have gone through this and can now look back will probably suggest you stay home and avoid all medical centers, hospitals, and doctors.  My heart would start beating 230 beats a minutes (called svts) and the hospital had NO help.  Just offered more medications, or just watched and observed me over night a few times is all.  My naturalpath suggested I take LOTS of magnesium to control heart arrhythmias, and that worked like a charm.    You will be OK and get through this without expensive, toxic interventions.

Hang in there, it all will end one day.

I think if you're feeling unsafe or you might do something stupid, it's a good idea to go inpatient. I'm inpatient mainly because of that. if I don't feel well, I can go to the nurses and they'll help me, and I can sit with them until I feel a bit better and things like that.

Sorry that this happened to you Sarasue

I agree with Mcllm on this. I was on 2mg Clonazapam for 5 years.  The only reason to go in-patient is if you are actively suicidal or you can't look after yourself and have no support at home. My  2 inpatient stays made things worse and got me dependent all over again.  You were on a large dose for long time.  It will take time to settle down.  You are only off benzos a few days and are in the worst of it(acute).  If you think you will harm yourself then you need constant care but Inpatient success stories are very rare.  Do you have at home support?  No one can tell you how long it will take to heal completely but the general consensus is 6 to 18 months.  It may be sooner for you and you might start feeling better or at least manageable sooner. Time is the only way out of this.

Ive read your posts and i am curious why are you getting off benzos to begin with? Did you experience tolerance withdrawal? Why is your Dr. yanking you off them? If you didnt experience tolerance wd i would recommend you find another Dr. and reinstate. You seem to believe benzo wd is only a few weeks wd. Have you read thru this forum?. In truth benzo wd is a 2-3 year process unless you are the rare lucky one. I see you are on methadone as well. Are you stable on that or is your Dr. lowering the dose? Methadone also cause tolerance withdrawl. If you were doing ok while on methadone AND benzos I am curious why your Dr. ordered you off them because it seems it wasnt your choice to kick. Good luck.

I think if you're feeling unsafe or you might do something stupid, it's a good idea to go inpatient. I'm inpatient mainly because of that. if I don't feel well, I can go to the nurses and they'll help me, and I can sit with them until I feel a bit better and things like that.

Floraj, were you on 25mg lorazepam or did you crossover to a weaker benzo?

Have you been in the hospital this entire time?

Ive read your posts and i am curious why are you getting off benzos to begin with? Did you experience tolerance withdrawal? Why is your Dr. yanking you off them? If you didnt experience tolerance wd i would recommend you find another Dr. and reinstate. You seem to believe benzo wd is only a few weeks wd. Have you read thru this forum?. In truth benzo wd is a 2-3 year process unless you are the rare lucky one. I see you are on methadone as well. Are you stable on that or is your Dr. lowering the dose? Methadone also cause tolerance withdrawl. If you were doing ok while on methadone AND benzos I am curious why your Dr. ordered you off them because it seems it wasnt your choice to kick. Good luck.

Windwalker: The Vast majority of people stop taking benzos abruptly and do just fine. It is only a tiny percentage of people who have lengthy, miserable withdrawals. Telling a newbie that D is a 2-3 year process is simply not true and might scare someone who is just beginning their own journey. I am not a Mod here now but I still think like one. Please do not suggest medical advice to people here. Always remember that BB is set up to SUPPORT people, not criticize them or question their stories.

east

Ur tripping eastCoast. Hard. This girl has been taking high dosage xanax for ten years and expects to be cured within a few days. I read thru all her posts and she never mentions tolerance wd or nothing of the sort ie she tolerated benzos fine, not to mention she is on methadone another highly addictive monster to kick. Also-the “vast majority of people” DONT do “just fine” as you state from a high dose ten year habit. You stating someone essentially cold turkeying a ten year high dosage xanax habit will be “just fine” is absolutely insane not to mention dangerous. I have no idea why you would say that. Did u miss that part? Did u even read her post?  You were right on one thing: you arent a moderator so stop acting like you are east. I fully stand by my post. If u cant accept that then its best u simply move on and ignore my posts.  Good day!

LOL! I am not "tripping", Wind. I speak as someone who has dealt with this stuff for too many years now, plus I have been an RN for 37 years. You do not know the whole story about this person. Nor do I, but I happen to have more info than you do.

I speak as someone who went through a truly bad WD and lived to tell about it. You do not know me, nor have you tried to. I am respected here. I have a kind heart and try to help fellow sufferers. That is what BB is all about.

Frankly, you sound like a spoiled child who is pissed because someone called you out on something. I am known here for trying to always tell the truth as I see it. I personally can admit I am sometimes wrong. Can YOU do that? I bet not.

Back off Wind. I am not a Mod here but I still think like one. Have some respect for someone who is older and wiser than you.

east

Hi windwalker and east.  It's OK to have disagreements about certain things, as long as we keep them civil.  Fighting and bickering upset members and disrupt the forum and aren't allowed.  Please tone this discussion down, or let it go for now.  Also, as we always say, everyone's experience of withdrawal is different, and really can't be predicted in advance, because there are so many unique contributing factors.

Megan

Windwalker: The Vast majority of people stop taking benzos abruptly and do just fine. It is only a tiny percentage of people who have lengthy, miserable withdrawals. Telling a newbie that D is a 2-3 year process is simply not true and might scare someone who is just beginning their own journey. I am not a Mod here now but I still think like one. Please do not suggest medical advice to people here. Always remember that BB is set up to SUPPORT people, not criticize them or question their stories.

east

Ur tripping eastCoast. Hard. This girl has been taking high dosage xanax for ten years and expects to be cured within a few days. I read thru all her posts and she never mentions tolerance wd or nothing of the sort ie she tolerated benzos fine, not to mention she is on methadone another highly addictive monster to kick. Also-the “vast majority of people” DONT do “just fine” as you state from a high dose ten year habit. You stating someone essentially cold turkeying a ten year high dosage xanax habit will be “just fine” is absolutely insane not to mention dangerous. I have no idea why you would say that. Did u miss that part? Did u even read her post?  You were right on one thing: you arent a moderator so stop acting like you are east. I fully stand by my post. If u cant accept that then its best u simply move on and ignore my posts.  Good day!

LOL! I am not "tripping", Wind. I speak as someone who has dealt with this stuff for too many years now, plus I have been an RN for 37 years. You do not know the whole story about this person. Nor do I, but I happen to have more info than you do.

I speak as someone who went through a truly bad WD and lived to tell about it. You do not know me, nor have you tried to. I am respected here. I have a kind heart and try to help fellow sufferers. That is what BB is all about.

Frankly, you sound like a spoiled child who is pissed because someone called you out on something. I am known here for trying to always tell the truth as I see it. I personally can admit I am sometimes wrong. Can YOU do that? I bet not.

Back off Wind. I am not a Mod here but I still think like one. Have some respect for someone who is older and wiser than you.

east

:thumbsup:

Ok, I'm toning this down a bit by asking a valid question: Is it compliant with BB policy to hold oneself out to be a medical professional if they are not currently and legally licensed?

Ok, I'm toning this down a bit by asking a valid question: Is it compliant with BB policy to hold oneself out to be a medical professional if they are not currently and legally licensed?

This is a peer support forum, where we are entitled to post about our own experiences only.  That's how BB is designed.  In that sense, it actually doesnt matter whether we are medical professionals or not. 

Sorry East...

If I may use your post to high light a couple of things in general that have concerned me a bit around the boards of late.. And only here and now as to not have to bring it up again or elswere... Perhaps with someone less understanding...

Pls dont take this as apersonal attack, you have my respect along with all buddies that aim to help others to the best of their ability...

Asides from the already mentioned medical qualification promotion, (which actually doesnt inspire confidence in me, as the higher the medical qualification, the less understanding of the issues we can face, was MY experience.. ( lol, I am glad you are not a Proff of DoD's*)), -this highlights the problem of promoting the PM system for tapering support and advice... Probably unavoidable at times, but when that promotion is regular, AND combined with percieved Qualification and Experience, I see the potential for a newer member to get limited and even poor advice, even if simply because the wider BB community doesnt "know the whole stoty"..

I too have been waiting for more information to come to light through the natural progression of open communication.. I dont think a new member is best served this way...

*Drugs of Dependance.

This is indeed valued, as with Everyones experience... Its best when combined with the presumption and recognition, that we are all different in body and situation...

Keep up the good work... :)

No comment...

east

As with the above, The promotion of a "mod aspect" past or present, probably has no bearing beyond personal experience and knowledge, with reguard to tapering support and advice, but again, it could be percieived by a newer member as having "weight" or value beyond the reality... Even if the advice is sound... Im not sure there is a need for forum titles to be promoted in relation to support aspects on a Peer Reviewed Support Forum... I feel Everyones contribution is of equal value, in and of itself...

Again, keep up the good work... Your contribution is valued...

:)

This eastcoast girl has attacked my posts several times always with the addendum “im not a moderator but i think like a moderator.” Read thru this entire thread and you can see for yourself......once again.....she attacks my post like she is the expert in benzo wd. Shes even PMed me to “stop being so prescriptive” as if her job is to moderate and tell people what to post or not to post. I have NEVER attacked this girl once. Not once. Again.....read this entire post. My only reference to her was when she admonished me for my initial post. She does this to me ALL THE time! So now Megan comes on to moderate and tells me and east coast to tone it down even though eastcoast is the one visciously attacking my character. Why not tell east coast to STOP acting as if she were a moderator meagan? Everybody on this forum knows eastcoast has had the worst withdrawl known to the history of man because she ALWAYS makes that perfectly clear not to mention she knows everything about benzo wd because shes been an “rn for 35 years.” I have forty years of on and off benzo use. Big deal. Im not gonna brag about that but rather utilyse that experience in attempt to help people. I have had a horrendous wd. Im also not gonna state its the worst wd known to man therby minimizing everybody elses wd. Moderate however you want meagan but this girl always attacks me first yet when i respond you reprimand us both. Oh well. Not a big deal.

[16...]

Hi windwalker and east.  It's OK to have disagreements about certain things, as long as we keep them civil.  Fighting and bickering upset members and disrupt the forum and aren't allowed.  Please tone this discussion down, or let it go for now.  Also, as we always say, everyone's experience of withdrawal is different, and really can't be predicted in advance, because there are so many unique contributing factors.

Megan

Megan has already asked several times that the bickering stop, and that goes for everyone, including those making the op-ed remarks.

If anyone has a problem with the moderation, then start a ticket at the Helpdesk, but do not continue to disrupt the forum with your comments.

Here is the original topic – please either return to it or leave the thread.

Day 7, at what point do you give up and go in patient?  Today like day 3 all over again!

Day 7, at what point do you give up and go in patient?  Today like day 3 all over again!

Have you considered finding another doctor? Coming off of 10 years of a significant dose of Xanax in just several weeks is generally ill-advised and not recommended. This is not the class of drugs that one just cold turkeys after being on them daily for years. If I were you, I would look at professional help at this point and looking at a slower taper should your symptoms become unbearable.

Floraj, were you on 25mg lorazepam or did you crossover to a weaker benzo?

I was on 25mg lorazepam/night and more if needed. I didn't crossover to another Benzo; mainly because I'd gotten familiar with lorazepam withdrawal symptoms. (I did try something else for a couple of days, but the anxiolytic effect was too weak and the w/d symptoms were different, so I switched back to lorazepam.)

I guess for other people switching to a different benzo makes sense, but in my case it's best to taper off the lorazepam and hope for the best. I've been feeling pretty much okay (except for anxiety and restlessness, but since I'm in hospital, I have the nursing staff where I can go if I feel bad 24/7, and that helps a lot), so I'm very much happy with my progress and everything.

Have you been in the hospital this entire time?

yes, I've been in hospital since early November. I'm quite glad though, because it's helped me tremendously. if everything goes well, I can go home in six weeks =)

Have you considered finding another doctor? Coming off of 10 years of a significant dose of Xanax in just several weeks is generally ill-advised and not recommended. This is not the class of drugs that one just cold turkeys after being on them daily for years. If I were you, I would look at professional help at this point and looking at a slower taper should your symptoms become unbearable.

I absolutely agree with Loraz. I've read many posts over the years and have generally found that those who at least start out slowly, to see how their nerves fare, and generally take care of their nerves in the process of withdrawal, do much better than those who try and go c/t or have a rapid taper. Who wants to spend years stuck in a prison of symptoms? I would have rather spent that time tapering slowly and being able to live a functioning life. My opinion only.