Extreme muscle pain & Tingling after exercise

Has anyone else had this before.... It seems after I workout my upper back muscles I get extreme pain in that area. Tingling radiating from base of neck to shoulders and to the mid back. Plus the muscles hurt from the spine all the way out to the shoulders. And the area gets real itchy. It hurts more than the normal pain you get from working out.

Driving me crazy!

petra

Hi Petra,

This is from the Ashton Manual, but what you're describing is very common. 

Muscle symptoms. Benzodiazepines are efficient muscle relaxants and are used clinically for spastic conditions ranging from spinal cord disease or injury to the excruciating muscle spasms of tetanus or rabies. It is therefore not surprising that their discontinuation after long-term use is associated with a rebound increase in muscle tension. This rebound accounts for many of the symptoms observed in benzodiazepine withdrawal. Muscle stiffness affecting the limbs, back, neck and jaw are commonly reported, and the constant muscle tension probably accounts for the muscle pains which have a similar distribution. Headaches are usually of the "tension headache" type, due to contraction of muscles at the back of the neck, scalp and forehead - often described as a "tight band around the head". Pain in the jaw and teeth is probably due to involuntary jaw clenching, which often occurs unconsciously during sleep.

Thanks Pamster,

All of these symptoms I have had for a while but it seems like when I exercise they get exasperated. It hurts so much more than usual after exercise.

Hi Petra:

I that issue with the pain and tingling in the back muscles.  What sort of exercise are you doing?  I find that long slow stretching helps.   

ntw

I do the stretching but then I use free weights, only 5 lbs to work my upper back and arms. I don't think I am over doing it. Just 4 sets of 10 reps for each exercise.