Under the Rug (Trigger Warning)

[We...]

Is anyone out there dealing with significant weight loss and hair loss?  Every time I taper, I lose a little more of both.  But I lost the most, the worst, while I was still on 1mg Klon for a year.  Has anyone regained both after a while?  Anyone care to at least commiserate and support each other about this?  All the other issues are disturbing of course, but this is stressing me out, which, as you know, I can't afford  : )  I'm assuming the taper ramps us the adrenals and anxiety.  Thanks you guys.  I'm scared.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [We...]

• [de...]

• [So...]

• [up...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I started the clonazepam (about November last year), I was weighting 60 kg. In February was at 58kg, in May 56, in August 52 and in late September I reached 48.5 Kg. I was so skinny, that even bones hurt me. I'm 165 cms tall by the way.

By that time, I started to lose my hair. It was very fragile and it doesn't grow as fast as it normally does.

Nowdays I'm weighting 52.5 kg, I started to eat a lot of protein, eggs, chicken every day. Bones doesn't hurt so much, but the muscle pain (in legs and arms) is still strong. I finsished tapering by Dec 19, but I'm still having so much stomach issues.

Hi mhealth    Thanks for sharing.  And congratulations with your taper.  That's wonderful!  Please stay in touch and let me know how it continues to go for you.

I'm an idiot, but can you convert the weight and height for me to pounds and feet/inches?  Are you in the UK?  Lots of good info coming out of UK.  God bless Dr. Ashton.  Glad to hear you're putting some of the weight back on.  That's encouraging - for both of us.  I'm 5' 2", weighed 130 lbs which sounds like a lot, but I carried that much weight well for my height.  Now I'm down to 107 lbs.  At least I'm not getting shorter : )

I started to lose the hair while still on the full 1mg of Klonopin, about 10 months ago.  Had no idea the ridiculous amount of frightening symptoms was due to Klon.  (Was prescribed it for sleep while going through a long rough patch in life)  Recently, while educating myself about the seriousness of these nasty pills, was horrified to find out that the 1mg of Klon was the equivalent of 20mg of Valium.  Yikes!  No wonder I felt so awful.  I think I may have had a fast tolerance withdrawal or paradoxical reaction last year and didn't understand.

Anyway, since I've been doing a somewhat rapid taper, my hair is starting to come back a bit.  I had a LOT of scalp/part.  But given that other symptoms are still up and down and all around, the hair is beginning to fill in, little wiry fuzzies, but I'll take it.  Better than scalp.  My hair is fragile too, like you said yours is.  And the weight loss, very scary.  It hurts to sit down my backside is so bony.

I tapered to .125 a few days ago and noticed that I lost a pound and a little kick up with hair fall.  Nothing like it was.  Just have to wait and see.  I think it's the adrenals, stress etc.  My feelings are, as long as I'm still here, skinny legs and all, it's good.

I think one of the things that helped a lot was I started drinking organic bone broth.  Not just broth,  bone broth.  It seemed to help with GI issues too.  (Nobody talks about GI issues except in passing - pun intended).  Anyway, I noticed when I started on that, the hair thing started to calm down.  It's just a wholesome food.  Not a supplement.  Like you, I also did a lot of cleaning up with the diet.  Sugar was a killer.  No grains.  You all know the drill.  That has helped tremendously too.

Good luck to you mhealth

Much love and compassion

So glad to hear yours reversed.  Very encouraging.  Don't mean to sound like an idiot, but never heard of Mirt.  Will look it up in the morning though.  Thanks!

Thank you so much for your post!

I have had both. I’m 5’3” and I’ve gone from 105 lbs to as low as 95 lbs while on Klonopin and during my taper. I look gross!

The hair loss during my taper has been unbelievable and just like you, it really started “falling” at 0.25 mg K. To put it into perspective, the woman who cuts my hair noticed the loss over a 3 week period.

K causes hair loss while on it but the loss during the taper has been unbelievable. I’m looking forward to the day when my hormones, skin, hair and weight reach an equilibrium of some sort.

Every time I get a crazy symptom, I do a search for it on BB and it’s there.

Keep me posted. I’m right in it with you. 😊

rabbit - sorry you're going through the same thing, but at least there's someone who understands.  Makes it seem less frightening.  I was beginning to think I was going to make history being the only bald benzo survivor  :  )  At least I'm actually able to eat now.  There were a couple months a while back where just looking at food made me want to gag.  mhealth and keagan said theirs are reversing - weight and hair.  Thanks so much for sharing your stories, everybody.  Gives me hope.    And I will never ever ever complain about 'those extra 5 lbs'  ever never again.

BTW  Looked up Mirt and couldn't find anything.  But, you know, brain is a little sketchy too

THANKS

I gained a good bit for my frame over the past 3.5 years on the Lorazepam. And I developed male pattern baldness, which I blamed on changing hormones in my 40s (still possible). I had lost 15 pounds using WW before starting my taper

I haven’t had much of an appetite but quit WW and have been eating whatever sounds good and still lost another 5 pounds this past week since tapering. I have another 25/30 pounds to go so this symptom isn’t concerning to me, but i can see why it would be for you!

Hair loss to the point I am goi g bald.

No weight loss as can’t stop eating but severe loss of muscle mass that happened very suddenly and loss of adipose tissue despite weight gain.

All skin etc is hanging loose.

I'm getting a little saggy skin too.  It's so weird about the muscle mass, weight loss/weight gain thing.  Like some parts of me got schizophrenic -  my arms have really defined muscles on top and went totally floppy/saggy underneath.  Weird.  I noticed the muscle mass issues in the Ashton manual.  Par for the course, I guess, but lets face it, this hair/weight thing is sort of important to the chicks.

Hey Psalm!  Good to 'see' you.  Hope your enjoying the website.  Lots and lots of good people.  All of them.

It's interesting that some lose weight, and some gain.  There seems to be so many different reactions across the board.

Husband says he's gonna dig me whether I'm bald, fat, skinny, toothless.  Whatever.  You sure find out who really really cares when you go through this kind of thing. 

Welchie, we are quite blessed to have that kind of supportive spouse! I’ve read some heartbreaking posts of those walking this without that the past couple of days.

I thought you would get a giggle out of the fact that I had to stop and really think of how to spell “read” just now  :D

Hey Welchie,

I experienced some hair loss for sure during the first 4 to 6 months, but it stopped and seems to have actually reversed itself. My hair looks as thick as ever. Don't stress it. I'm a collegiate weightlifter, and I actually dropped a weight class because of the withdrawal from these damn things from 105 kg to 93 kg. I'm back up to 100 kgs now. This will come back in time too. Make sure you're doing your best to eat sleep and exercise enough. It is really important you try to get as many calories and hours of sleep as you can, your body really needs them.

Slowly(Recovering!)    Thanks for the encouraging post.  I remind myself often that everything will turn around and heal eventually and I should be grateful that body parts like my heart, for instance, are still working : )  I agree totally it's important to focus on the most basic of basics - good food, fluids, rest, any kind of movement etc.  They go a long way.  Hey, would you mind converting the weight to pounds?  I was never really good at that stuff pre-benzo and brain's a little fried right now.

I tried one of those products - the stuff weightlifter's use with names like 'Mega Man Plus' - and all I got for my troubles was Mega Plus GI issues.  Didn't understand at the time the K was the cause of the trillion or so sx.  Was diagnosed, for real, with gluten intolerance at the time.  A lot of people say glut had to go.  BTW, this is probably something you already know about - I started using coconut water for the severe dehydration and it works pretty good.  I guess it's sort of like a natural Gatorade because of the electrolytes.

So very glad for you your body's recovering enough to put some of the weight back on...about half of what you lost?  You're on the road!!!

Psalm -  Definite LOL about spelling read!  I have misspelled my own name writing checks sometimes! 

Yes, am definitely blessed.  He's first on the list when I do a mental gratitude list.  He's balding with the ring of hair thing.  I threatened a couple of times to get a matching haircut.

It is definitely heart wrenching to read what some are going through.  These benzos are truly a crime against humanity.  We'll get through it.  At least we have each other.  Don't know how I'd get through this stage of recovery without this website.

Hi Welchie yes definitely experiencing the hair thinning my hair wasn't thick to begin with but it's gotten thinner and I found some bald spots in the area above my ear the other day what the heck! It's not in a spot where there's any stress on my hair so it's strange. I'm taking hair growth pills maybe that will keep the hair on my head. My weight however is remaining stable and I wouldn't mind losing a few pounds. I know, careful what I ask for. But I keep reading about weight loss and that's staying stable I suppose a blessing especially if weight loss goes hand in hand with hair loss.

By the way I was also prescribed klon for sleep, of all the drugs I could have been prescribed. Treacherous drug. I totally agree about being grateful about the things that are functioning properly this situation really gets you back to basics and in the here and now. Best wishes on your journey.

Hi Mountaintop  Thanks for the post.  I think you said in another thread you were trying to decide whether to cut or hold and decided you were going to hold.  How's that working out?

Been paying attention to hair and weight since I cut to .125 the day after xmas - and it seems to be hanging, not getting worse at least.  Hey, any of you guys get that that 'creepy bugs under your scalp' feeling along with the hair loss? 

Looking back, the times I was waking up in high panic that lasted about 6 hours, literally shaking, sweating and freezing at the same time, was when the hair was shedding like crazy.  This was while still on 1mg and clueless everything was from klon. And when I'd empty the upright vac, swear to god I could have made a wig out of what was in the bin.

Happy New Year you guys.  Maybe this really will be our year.

Hi Mountaintop  Thanks for the post.  I think you said in another thread you were trying to decide whether to cut or hold and decided you were going to hold.  How's that working out?

Been paying attention to hair and weight since I cut to .125 the day after xmas - and it seems to be hanging, not getting worse at least.  Hey, any of you guys get that that 'creepy bugs under your scalp' feeling along with the hair loss? 

Looking back, the times I was waking up in high panic that lasted about 6 hours, literally shaking, sweating and freezing at the same time, was when the hair was shedding like crazy.  This was while still on 1mg and clueless everything was from klon. And when I'd empty the upright vac, swear to god I could have made a wig out of what was in the bin.

Happy New Year you guys.  Maybe this really will be our year.

Good to hear the hair and weight seem to have stabilized. I am curious if it's the presence of the drug itself  the stress on our bodies as our CNS heals that causes the hair loss? Maybe I'll do a search on that. I haven't felt the creepy bug feeling this time with hair loss but I've felt it in the past as I e had fall hair fall for years now but like I said nothing like it is now. No itchy scalp which is good I've been conditioning my hair more not sure if that's helped me from total baldness. (Shrug)

The hold is going well I'm starting to feel more like myself maybe 75/80% or so. When I'm feeling as well as possible I'm planning a 10% cut and see how that goes. I really do think it was the garlic that caused the wave but I'm not sure if the daily taper agrees with me as I'd wonder everyday what I would be waking up to. I think we talked about preferring the chunks at a time then fighting my way back. Then feeling "normal" as possible before another cut and doing it all again. Of course I never really know what to expect as my symptoms evolve as I reduce my dose.

It's exciting to think we could be done this year! I'm optimistic. No more scales in 2019!!! ;D

mountaintp - really REALLY glad to hear to stabilized quickly at .111.  It would be utterly fantastic if this was our year.  Hell yes, this IS our year!  Could be worse - we could all be putting that first pill in our mouth.

Garlic?  Who woulda thunk it?  Wild.

I'm settling into .125 today.  Directly from .25  Yeah, I know.  Lucky I didn't break an ankle on that step. 

To get off the 'bald is beautiful' thread some more...I've been sort of loosely charting...not with colored graphs and stuff : )...but  journaling the daily symptoms.  They're becoming predictable, of course, which is good, I guess.  But just 5 days in, I'm noticing shifts for the positive even as things kick up a bit because of the lower dose.  Like...anxiety spiked up, more than when on .25, but doesn't last quite as long.  Exhaustion kicks in about the same time of day  but don't need to lie down.  My 'feel a little more like a normal person' time of stay starts about an hour sooner.  It's all good.

At least we're heading in the right direction.  Keep me posted from time to time if you don't mind.  We're sort of neck and neck here.

Will definitely keep you posted Welchie, please do the same. You're doing so awaesome. I don't know how I'll manage the 10% reductions, I think if the 10 goes well I'll try 20%-30% the next go because at 10 each time it could be 2020 before I'm done. Good grief.

I know, garlic doesn't sound likely but I was taking garlic supplements when I had my first wave (two weeks after my last cut and my symptoms were always immediately after, I know this isn't a linear process but still) and then this time I ate a ton of roasted whole cloves, not raw but I had several of them. And same thing, got intense sx a few days after. I did read that garlic can cause migraines and headaches too. I used to eat it fine so I guess it's a new thing. No more hummus for me, agh!

Please keep updating this thread welchie and mountaintop! Although I crossed over to a Valium taper, I am a long term K user and very close to you two in WD experiences. Same symptoms etc. I even experienced olfactory hallucinations (phantom smells) and that is a crazy neurological WD symptom! I found it here on BB or I would have thought I was crazy. 😝

I am so proud of you two for doing dry cuts of Klonopin and getting to low doses!!  :)  I made it to 0.25mg on an overly rapid taper and then crossed over to V. Because I was prescribed K for anxiety and sleep, I expected quite the rebound of those two symptoms but I didn’t anticipate the less common ones like smells, skin issues, hair issues, hormonal changes etc.

Hey Rabbit - read your profile.  Absolutely amazing you went from 2.5 klon down to .25 in just a couple/few months.  You go girl!  Proud of you too!

I know what you mean about symptoms...would have thought I was going nuts if I hadn't read about them here and elsewhere.  I don't get phantom olfactory like you do, but definitely heightened sense of smell. 

So, welcome to the bald is beautiful thread!  I was poking around some really old posts, from years ago, about the hair thing and they confirm my suspicions.  Many said they got hair fall around a taper.  Mine started really scary bad while still on the 1mg klon, but I now know I was in tolerance w/dr at the time.  For a long miserable time.  The hair loss gets just a little bit cranked up at each taper for a day or two.  Then no shedding at all.  I mean they were coming out by the handful this time last year. 

So the Valium is working for you?  Definitely - keep each other posted.

Some days I feel like Goldie Hawn in the movie Private Benjamin when she's marching in the rain and mud....'I want to wear my sandals. I want to go to lunch!'  But we gotta keep marching on.  Worked out good for Private Benjamin in the long run.

I have not seen that movie since it was in the theaters! I like the analogy. I’ll just keep marching on with you in the boot camp of Klonopin withdrawal. I’ll be doing the marching withdrawal hobble.

Thanks! It is amazing, but with that drop I did, you can imagine how bad the hair fall was!! Yes, handfuls and handfuls!  :o

I actually never saw Private Benjamin maybe I should, always kind of meant to. I love Goldie Hawn (sp). I washed my hair yesterday and not much came out, very promising! Really hoping it starts to thicken now with spring approaching. Although since this last cut kicked my butt so bad I hope my hair isn't affected. Now I have new symptoms pressure in my ears and nausea. Is the nausea what causes people to lose wait or is it usually"other" gastro issues? Just cureous. I still want to eat food just not enjoying it as much. You never know what gifts this drug will give next. Super fun. Looking forward to stabilizing but looking forward to my next cut too and the feeling of accomplishment that comes with that.

Rabbit  LOL Marching hobble!  Some days a marching crawl  :  )

So you noticed the hair fall runs with a drop in dose too?  I can only imagine how much you lost on that big cut.

I'm pleasantly surprised when I went to .125 Klon that things seem to be holding in this department.

I'm cautious about adding supplements, or even certain foods, but I noticed a fairly substantial improvement in the morning GI melodrama when I added probiotics before bed.  The first night I crossed my fingers, toes and eyes and, you know, bottoms up, expecting major bathroom drama the next morning.  But...pretty darned good results.  Weight is holding too, not dropping.  Not going up either.  I'll take it.  mountaintop said she noticed the creepy crawly scalp sensations too.  Did you get any of that?

Anxiety seems to be waning this last week, and that maybe helping.  But other things taking its place of course.  Mostly feeling a little down in the dumps.  Stalled.  Thanks for listening.

How's your day going?  BTW I feel like an a-hole for posting so much, but you guys are the lifeline, you know.  Sorry if I ramble.  Have good support, but you guys 'get it' best.

mountaintop - at least you're still eating, I hope.  True, never know what lovely surprises each day can bring.  The ear thing is a trip too.  The tinnitus is ever there, but there's a sort of weird fullness, like it's blocked sometimes.  Private Benjamin is definitely a worthwhile flick.  And something only Goldie could pull off well.  It's really about empowerment, which we could all use a little of these days.

I bought a jeweler's scale finally, should be here tomorrow.  Maybe someone smarter than me (which includes the majority of the world's population) can help out if I get stuck?  (Hint hint).  You know, I can sketch somebody's damn portrait in 20 minutes and mix a color for painting blindfolded, but can't handle much in the way of mechanical.  Still floundering trying to figure out some parts of this website.

BTW Did any of you read the post by parker (originally 10/3/12)?  It's called 'what's happening in your brain'.  Definitely a worthwhile read.  There's a link to it from a more recent post...title 'I was wrong! It's not past WD'  It helped me see for sure that symptoms are the brain healing itself and not to be feared.

[37...]