“Smile or Die” The Darker Side of Positive Thinking

[mo...]

Journalist and author Barbara Ehrenreich, on the darker side of positive thinking:

Interests me, maybe someone else will also get something out of this. Any thoughts?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Rx...]

• [mo...]

• [Ma...]

• [Bl...]

I thought that was you, hi. I just rented the library audio. I like it, I also sincerely enjoyed Susan David’s talk and am looking into her work now.

The irrational positivity movement seems like it stems from the postmodernist nonsense that has pervaded society for the past half century or so. Just another way to obfuscate objective reality, and a fantastic way to control people. Its a lot easier to make people fall in line with whatever you are promoting when you are able to convince people to ignore reality.

I really like you a whole lot for holding this perspective FloridaGuy. Also I know you try to go by it, and are also kind. Way back, way way a long time back we had a tremendous disagreement but I always held some of what you said in my mind even to this day because it helped me see a wider range of possible perspectives and a truer truth to eventually hold. I was so mad at you, but you are one of the people now whom I find easiest to like and appreciate as a buddy consistently. It’s not hard to do, and I sense we each have grown since whenever that was, but it’s amazing how what looks like disaster can end up being a fine masterpiece. If I were to meet you in person, I’d be happy to and I’d be thankful because I think we would make good friends. Real ones.

Way back, way way a long time back we had a tremendous disagreement but I always held some of what you said in my mind even to this day because it helped me see a wider range of possible perspectives and a truer truth to eventually hold.

That's what discussion should be about. My opinions on things change over time and a lot of has to do with being able to see other people's perspectives.

Anyway, whatever we disagreed about couldn't have been that bad if neither one of us remembers what it was at this point  :)

I have never really bought into the ideology of "positive thinking" ..

I remember being told at work by manager "We do not have problems, we only have challenges" ... we had huge problems which of course were never properly addressed or resolved.  So it seems to me that changing the language makes no material difference whatsoever.

Hey, if your life is crappy, it must be because of your negative attitude!

It's YOUR FAULT!

There is no such thing as 'society'...(MT, the queen of neoliberalism)

It's all on the individual.

Yep, read Barbara's book a decade or more ago...she gets it, but my woo-woo friends still don't *quite*.

Thanks so much for sharing that video, mon pilote. So interesting! I really appreciate this kind of intellectual honesty.

Thank you, Lapis— it’s great to have you as a buddy.  :)

Not great that it happened, but glad to have you as a buddy here.

Yes, likewise, mon pilote. If we could all meet under different circumstances, we'd probably have a pretty good time!

Thanks again for the videos. I think I need to re-watch them -- not tonight, mind you, as I'm having a really difficult day, but another time.

Take care!

My take is that it is two separate issues on whether so called positive thinking, or at least attitudinal adjustments can be helpful in the course of illness or discomfort. The first is simply the behavioral strategies for better outcomes. The other question is really just about how people either impose guilt on themselves are have it used upon them by others It is really no different than living a healthy lifestyle as far as I can tell, except it is the realm of subjective experience and could be used by some to impose guilt on other in an unfair manner

Maybe I am discounting those who try positive behavioral strategies and do not get appreciable results, but I don't think that is what Ehrenreich was getting at. But I could be poorly informed I think I saw her on this book on Book TV years ago

I hope I am open to criticism on this Gender could play a role I am sure

I also enjoyed them, thanks, mp.  I must admit I hadn't heard of either of these ladies before, that Susan David's a terrific speaker, will try to listen to them in more depth before I maybe weigh in.

Hey guys, abcd and MattNapa. Rough couple of days but feeling better this morning, well good enough and not bad. Thankful for you and hopeful for us, really. Need a little break even though it’s been an addiction to be here especially because of people like you.

Always love ❤️

Really tired and it’s my birthday. So I want to avoid having another year where I have ups and downs because of people here who don’t appreciate realism.

If the green light is on, you can always message me... but I am going to try again not to post. I would like to make it a year at least.

Hey guys, abcd and MattNapa. Rough couple of days but feeling better this morning, well good enough and not bad. Thankful for you and hopeful for us, really. Need a little break even though it’s been an addiction to be here especially because of people like you.

Always love ❤️

Really tired and it’s my birthday. So I want to avoid having another year where I have ups and downs because of people here who don’t appreciate realism.

If the green light is on, you can always message me... but I am going to try again not to post. I would like to make it a year at least.

Happy Birthday, MP .. I am all for realism ..  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Happy, Happy Birthday, mp!  Sorry you've had a couple bummer days, glad you're feeling a little better today.  Same my end, I actually started posting here last night but had to abandon, will try come back later.  You don't have to respond, lol, stick to your plan and what you feel is best for you.  Hugs.

8a7294fa97bb92fbfd206ad04fe57677.png

Happy Birthday, mon pilote! I hope someone does a little something special for you to remind you how much they care about you. :-* (I recently had a birthday, and a friend did something special which, despite the intense pain I was in, made me feel cared about and loved. I wish the same for you.)  :balloon:

In the meantime, here's a big hug from me...... :hug:

• 3 weeks later...

The irrational positivity movement seems like it stems from the postmodernist nonsense that has pervaded society for the past half century or so. Just another way to obfuscate objective reality, and a fantastic way to control people. Its a lot easier to make people fall in line with whatever you are promoting when you are able to convince people to ignore reality.

You betcha.

Trying not to be skeptical, since I know there are very serious implications to very personel perspectives, but I am curious if to be a realist is to be a determinist. I was a philosophy major so I may have a faulty pesrspective on how these terms are being used.

Trying not to be skeptical, since I know there are very serious implications to very personel perspectives, but I am curious if to be a realist is to be a determinist. I was a philosophy major so I may have a faulty pesrspective on how these terms are being used.

I define being a realist for myself as seeing reality as it is.  For example, have you heard of the story of the emperor with no clothes?  In other words, when it is what it is, it is what it is.