Medication Induced Setback Support

[Mu...]

Hi friends I wonder what sleep issues you all have?

At first, not too many. Which was really encouraging to me.

Now, at 2 months post-setback, I am up with psychosis at night at times, or have air hunger, rapid-breathing, akathisia, or just plain insomnia.  I had one week where I slept for 11 nights straight with little of these issues and now it's all gone.

Now tonight, I feel paranoid of another UTI so I'm drinking a ton and taking supplements and afraid to go to bed  :'(

This is all just so unbelievable that I don't have words...

Hello everybody, I’m quite worried and I’m looking for support:

I’m over 2 months into a cold turkey from Valium, after researching a bit I decided I’d start Prozac, I used to be on 40mg throughout 2019, so I went on 20mg this time.

First day: Okay, a few buzzes of anxiety but not bad.

Second day: Something isn’t right, I don’t feel myself, I feel the window closing. Felt anxious, groggy, woke at 5am with a jolt.

Third day (right now): Severe anxiety, skimming a panic attack all day, pacing, first signs of paresthesia (ever), nausea, 1000mph racing mind, feel like my body is hot, arm is burning, somehow I feel worse than ever.

I’m praying that these symptoms settle again once the Fluoxetine is out of my system, but it has a half life of 4-6 days! I’m working the next 6 days, I can’t have time off, I’ve already had time off for w/d sickness and I need the money to live, I feel like I should walk into an ER at times. I feel very ‘revved up’.

:/ I hope I’m not about to spiral into a new pit of despair, below previous pits of despair, I don’t know if I can handle feeling like this and work.

Kojak, I noticed no one responded to you. Sorry about that. I don't have much knowledge on antidepressants in this whole mess. Hopefully someone else will chime in here...

Sleep issue - mostly anxiety revving up around 2-3am lasting until 10-11am.  Anxiety gives me a feeling that I cannot breath.  So to lay there and feel like I am suffocating, when my mind knows I am not, is futile.  I have to get up.  It doesnt happen every night but enough to cause problems.  On nights that it happens, like last night, I feel disabled and non-functional the next day.

I'm getting worse and worse. Why is this happening????

I am only sleeping three hours a night from 2-5am.

I try to go to bed. I'm so so tired. And then within 5 minutes, my brain snaps awake with air hunger, panic, hallucinations, sweating and akathisia. I never even had it this bad in acute!

I lie there or sit there looking out my window and reminding myself I'm not crazy. Then 2am hits and i try to sleep for a bit. At 5:00 I wake up to cortisol surges and the worst physical symptoms on the planet. I break out into a cold sweat and get so nauseated and dizzy. Today it went away after 4 hours and yesterday it lasted almost 24 hours.

I've gotten a will together as I don't think I'm going to survive this.

How was I hanging in there at 30 days off and now I'm worse?

It's as if I just took a bunch of benzos for a week instead of an antibiotic.

I'm terrified to go to sleep. I'm terrified to wake up. I don't know what to do or how to help myself.

I try to go to bed. I'm so so tired. And then within 5 minutes, my brain snaps awake with air hunger, panic, hallucinations, sweating and akathisia. I never even had it this bad in acute!

I lie there or sit there looking out my window and reminding myself I'm not crazy. Then 2am hits and i try to sleep for a bit. At 5:00 I wake up to cortisol surges and the worst physical symptoms on the planet. I break out into a cold sweat and get so nauseated and dizzy. Today it went away after 4 hours and yesterday it lasted almost 24 hours.

I'm terrified to go to sleep. I'm terrified to wake up. I don't know what to do or how to help myself.

Hi Warrior,

I'm sorry you're still struggling.

I had akathasia too. It was during acute & it was because I was in tolerance withdrawal & did not know it and I got Reglan IV in the ER. It felt like instant brain damage. That was in May 2019. It was worse the first 2 weeks. By the 4th of July I still had it, but to a lesser degree, but I was not able to be a passenger in a car, & definitely not drive one. I could not be at a traffic light. I had strong urges to jump put of a moving car - this is akathasia.

The thing is, back then I was not on benzo buddies. I did not know what was going on as far as how to keep myself calm by avoiding public places and a bunch of stimuli. My CNS was RAW. I thought I had to desensitize by putting myself into situations. I had no idea that was the wrong thing to do..I needed to stay home and rest. It's not forever. I wasn't becoming a hermit, but I needed to stay in and be calm. Period.

Do you have someone to watch your children? Are you off of work? Even a well intentioned spouse or friend can be too much. If there was any time in your life that you need to take time off for you, this is it. This is survival. Ask for help from friends and relatives.

Akathasia is so much. Suicidal ideation. Painful urge to move. I couldn't even stand outside and talk to neighbors. It was painful. This went on for a few months. It was not extreme the entire time. It lessened. It slowly lessened.

I had insomnia too. I dreaded going to bed too. It became less and less. I want you to know that. Hang on. 

I was exactly where you are a few weeks ago.  Everything you describe.  Everything!  The air hunger, panic, hallucinations, sweating akathisia, not able to sleep, will writing, not knowing if I would survive.  Nothing was working.  I was completely broken, disabled.  I didnt know how I was going to make it.  I was getting better and then it hit me so hard.  I had the same question you are having!

I DID MAKE IT THOUGH.  It was so hard.  So, so very hard.  You will get through this.  I know this.  I know you will get through this.  You know you will get through this!

Please keeping checking in with us.  Tell us everything.  We are here for you!

Wow, such nice replies!

I had to jump out of  car cuz of loud sound of someone's phone.  Car was slowing down into parking spot but omg.

You don't mean jumping out of a car into traffic?  How is this akathisia exactly?  thanks.

Wow, such nice replies!

I had to jump out of  car cuz of loud sound of someone's phone.  Car was slowing down into parking spot but omg.

You don't mean jumping out of a car into traffic?  How is this akathisia exactly?  thanks.

It's akathasia because it's part of the most uncomfortable feeling of not being able to sit still. Especially in a car driving down the road where there's lots of stimuli

Hello.  Please forgive me for not reading through the thread and for jumping in here, but I am feeling very awful today and grasping for why.  I've posted in the other medications thread and the post withdrawal thread hoping for some feedback, and then I remembered this support group and decided to post as I am unsure of what has happened to me. 

I thought I had my worst wave of this entire ordeal a few weeks ago and while there were some reminiscent qualities of acute that really had me concerned, I did slowly break out of the wave.  I was not back to my baseline yet but was feeling somewhat better and had a long overdue dermatology appointment yesterday.  I had a mole removed and they used a local anesthetic (I think it was Lidocaine; I am on the phone que now with the office to inquire for sure what it was).  That was at around 4:00 or so in the evening.  I went to bed a little later than usual but fell asleep just fine.  An hour later around 12:30, I awoke in a terror to symptoms that were just like when I was destabilized during rapid withdrawal.  My husband was scared and so was I.  It ended up being the worst ugliest night I have had since those early days and I'm desperate to know why.  I'm almost 9 months out and unsure if this is just a wave or if it was caused by the local anesthetic that was used as that is the only change as of late. 

I'm trying to search the boards now for Lidocaine but so far it's not offering me much.  Thank you for any help. 

I occasionally receive messages from people who have stumbled across my story and are looking for hope. I remember myself searching these boards until my eyes were sore for any glimpse that I would heal and I could regain some kind of normal life again. I understand why people heal and don't come back. It's triggering no doubt. I mean years of my and my children's life at this point have been held hostage by this mess.

Regardless occasionally I like to come back and offer that ounce of hope, I so desperately needed, for others.

Am I 100% normal again? No.

Am I still in agony every second of everyday? Also no.

I've been back to work for over a year and a half. I live on my own and take care of my two girls and our dog. I am dating an awesome fella. I play video games. I paint. I play music. I live again.

I still have symptoms here and there. My system is still sensitive. I imagine I'll have to be careful the rest of my life and I've had to make peace with that. We heal as much as we can, and then we learn to cope with what's left.

In my case the intensity of what I experience at this point is a million times more tolerable then what I was initially facing in the thick of it. More often than not what things flare up, a good nap or nights rest gets it under control pretty quickly.

I wish I had some answers. All I can say is hold on. Remember in your darkest hours that change is the only constant.  How you feel right now, may not be how you feel in a month or even in 5 mins. Take it 10 seconds at a time if you have to. Reduce your stress as much as possible, and find a support system. Whether it be a friend, or the group, etc. You are not alone. You are not crazy. You are healing from a traumatic event. You can do it.

I occasionally receive messages from people who have stumbled across my story and are looking for hope. I remember myself searching these boards until my eyes were sore for any glimpse that I would heal and I could regain some kind of normal life again. I understand why people heal and don't come back. It's triggering no doubt. I mean years of my and my children's life at this point have been held hostage by this mess.

Regardless occasionally I like to come back and offer that ounce of hope, I so desperately needed, for others.

I've been back to work for over a year and a half. I live on my own and take care of my two girls and our dog. I am dating an awesome fella. I play video games. I paint. I play music. I live again.

I still have symptoms here and there. My system is still sensitive. I imagine I'll have to be careful the rest of my life and I've had to make peace with that. We heal as much as we can, and then we learn to cope with what's left.

In my case the intensity of what I experience at this point is a million times more tolerable then what I was initially facing in the thick of it. More often than not what things flare up, a good nap or nights rest gets it under control pretty quickly.

I wish I had some answers. All I can say is hold on. Remember in your darkest hours that change is the only constant.  How you feel right now, may not be how you feel in a month or even in 5 mins. Take it 10 seconds at a time if you have to. Reduce your stress as much as possible, and find a support system. Whether it be a friend, or the group, etc. You are not alone. You are not crazy. You are healing from a traumatic event. You can do it.

Thanks muddlefoot,

Thanks so much for checking in. So glad to hear of how well you're doing. Your words of encouragement mean so much.

As of the last 3 months or so I've been getting my feet back underneath me after the regular flu vaccine that I got last fall. It took a good 4 or 5  months to get back to baseline. Since then I keep healing and healing and I am doing much better since this entire withdrawal ordeal even started. I'm always tempted to write a success story or a "pre" success story, but my med sensitivities hold me back.

I find myself daily saying to myself things like: "If only I did not have to worry about taking medications I would be healed." "If only my med sensitivities were gone, and I knew I could safely take antibiotics, vaccines, etc I would be healed."

I'm trying to make peace with it so I can have a happy life. It's quite the challenge during a pandemic to say the least.

I've read Baylissa Frederick's books: "Recovery and Renewal" and "With Hope in My Heart." She too went through benzodiazepine tolerance/withdrawal. She herself also experienced some medication sensitivity issues as a result of it.

In her memoir "With Hope in My Heart" she talks about how she was lucky and could handle her own thyroid issue with diet change etc. She also used meditation, exercise and eating healthy to handle her high blood pressure. As a result she was able to not need thyroid medicine, nor a blood pressure medicine, nor a beta blocker. She said the beta blocker gave her issues. She also told me during a session that I had with her that she took Flagyl during the end of her withdrawal and she ended up feeling "psychotic" from it and called an ambulance for herself. It was a medication sensitivity from her withdrawal. She said it lasted a day. She said back then there was no forum or anything to caution her on antibiotics that could cause issues. She found out the hard way.

She also told me that about 5 years after she healed from withdrawal, she had to have an emergency surgery. There was not much time to discuss medication allergies. They used anesthesia, a benzo and all kinds of meds and she had no issues.

My hope, as with all of us here who have had these issues with meds, is to get as many years healed between now and when a time may arise when I absolutely need a medication. (Of course I'm talking about "regular" meds. Not psychotropic meds. I'll never touch them again.) I take zero medications.

I'm trying to make peace with this.  I'm trying.

This hit me hard today, in a very positive but bittersweet way.  Thank you for taking the time to write a message of hope and encouragement which you know full well during our darkest times can be the brightest of lights.  Thank you, from one familiar stranger to another.  Thank you. 

Hi friends I wonder what sleep issues you all have?

At first, not too many. Which was really encouraging to me.

Now, at 2 months post-setback, I am up with psychosis at night at times, or have air hunger, rapid-breathing, akathisia, or just plain insomnia.  I had one week where I slept for 11 nights straight with little of these issues and now it's all gone.

Now tonight, I feel paranoid of another UTI so I'm drinking a ton and taking supplements and afraid to go to bed  :'(

This is all just so unbelievable that I don't have words...

Warrior,

Wait, you're taking supplements? These may be causing more issues for you.

When I went through acute I HAD to take NOTHING. I could not even take vitamins, and definitely no supplements. To this day I still don't take anything. There are folks on this forum who can take supplements or vitamins or whatever. But, when you're trying to calm your brain down and you have akathisia, give your brain a break.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I was here.  I am suffering another setback (7th now, back to back).  Last December I accidentally double dosed the Trazodone I am on.  Well here I am 5.5 months later and no end in sight.  It doesn't help that I am also transitioning to a new thyroid med so maybe that has something to do with it also.  I feel like s***.  The fatigue this morning was out of this world, but the relentless anxiety has died down.  Halleluia! thankful for small victories. Strange thing is, after every one of my setbacks, I had a period of all symptoms gone!  Including the double-dosed trazodone; I felt fantastic for about a week then things went downhill.  I have mulled over every day whether I should just updose on Tr or even Tylenol (one of my setbacks and which had the same effect) and put myself out of this misery, but I do not know if it will prevent future setbacks.  And I so desperately want to get off Tr at some point, so on the fence about this.

I did not want to come on here with more negativity, but wanted to join the discussion about taking the Covid Vaccine.  I have not had it and do not plan on getting it until I am good and "healed" from this.  Don't know when this will be but I am stressed out about getting Covid as I have a son in school.  I have been reading the thread of sensitive vaccine recipients, and the message is mixed, some had just a relatively mild reaction and others have been set back.  I think I have accepted my fate.  I will be this way for very long time. I need to be extra vigilant about what goes in my body; but I am scared if I need an antibiotic especially (two of my setbacks were from this).

@Muddlefoot, thanks for updating us about your status.  Did you get the vaccine? If so, how did you do?

@Waiting12 and @KatrinaG, I hope you are doing reasonably well and seeing some healing.

Anyway all, let's hope for the best. Time is supposed to heal so let's be patient.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys not sure where to post but this seems like the right place. I have had a long standing battle with this since 2015 when I finished my taper and felt awful. I went back on to benzos two different times since then which didn't end up working for me much at all. At the end of 2019 I detoxed off the valium and lyrica using NAD infusions. It was still pretty rough but I was doing okay. After that in early 2020 I started taking high doses of CBD oil and it was healing me very quickly. However, In august I got a horrible setback not from a medication but stress for days in a row. I was gambling with friends at casinos and having fun but by the end of it my system was completely fried. I didn't know this could happen. I might as well have CT off benzos again that's how bad I felt. I had horrible insomnia again and my system just felt so kindled and weak. After that I kinda threw the towel in and went back on a medication called lyrica for a few months. It helped but was making me sick in other ways too. So i tapered off that about 3 months ago.

My cns is so unbelievable sensitive now it's crazy. I have no idea how this can ever get better for me. I've tried to do the things that helped me in the past including the CBD oil but now my system can't tolerate that. I also can no longer game on my ps4 as it sends me into a revved up wave for a week and basically all my hobbies have been taken. Exercising now gives me insomnia again. I seriously fear things that might happen in the near future. I'm not stressing unneccesarily, but if I get something like an infection happen I am basically screwed if I require Antibiotcs. And I don't want to get a covid vaccine because who knows what will happen. I also don't trust going under anasthetic atm because I seriously may not wake up. I know my body and it's so weak atm. I took opiates for a migraine recently and got a terrible wave too. I feel like a prisoner of this.

I've seen some positive things on stem cells helping people regenrate from things like this and have seen studies backing this up. This isn't the thread for starting that kind of convo I know but I think my only chance is something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I need your help and would so appreciate your feedback. I  CT from zolidepem 7 years ago. And recovered  fully by 4 years, but slowly improved . I am now back into full blown benzo withdral symptoms  after my encounter with antibiotics of 26 days for UTIs and pneumonia.

In addition,  one of the antibiotics, nitrofurantoin, caused lung damage, and now I am diagnosed with nitrofurantoin BOOP,  which is a chronic lung disease. The only treatment for BOOP is steroids to try to stop the progression of the disease. I have to start  on July 26 steroids, 

Does the possibility exist that steroids may not affect me  with benzodiazepines withdrawal symptoms as the antibiotics  have? I don’t know what to do, my life is literally depends on this decision, I was thinking maybe delaying steroid treatment until these benzodiazepines symptoms lessen,

Could you please offer my your insight.

I would be so grateful.

Thank you, Cindy

Holy moly. So sorry to hear that. I have seen steroids tear even healthy peoples’ CNS up. I personally wouldn’t go near one. How serious is your BOOP? Are there any non-steroid options you can try first? Is it like typical bronchitis where it could be treated with something like oral raw garlic for instance? A member earlier in this thread, asthey1, has had a severe setback from a steroid I believe. Forgive me if I’m thinking of someone else but maybe you could message her. Steroids are very strong and I’ve read another member having a setback from a steroid cream as well. I’m still recovering from a nasty antibiotic reaction myself so I know how bad they can be. So sorry you’ve found yourself back here.

Hi @cindys,

This is a very tough situation for you, sorry to hear this.  I had a steroid shot a few years ago to stop a severe inflammatory condition also but lucky for me that condition resolved eventually.  However, that started me down this path of setbacks, but I don't think this will apply to you. I do not think I would have had a setback if I have been given a course of steroids instead and was able to taper carefully.

I understand your need for steroids.  I think that if you will be on it long-term that it will likely not be problematic from a setback point of view (however steroids do have side effects).  In fact, it may even alleviate your current symptoms (everything that gave me a setback actually alleviated my previous symptoms for a while).  Note though that your system may be so sensitized that it may not tolerate the steroids but you will never know this until you try it.

The setback issue will likely arise if your doctor wants you to discontinue abruptly or lower the dosage with a quick taper if your symptoms improve or he/she wants to minimize side effects.  For people like us who are so sensitized, we cannot abruptly discontinue or fast taper anything.  Even for healthy folks, steroids need tapering and in your case, very carefully.

In my opinion, and I am not a medical professional, I would go ahead and take the steroids now as waiting may worsen your condition.  Pay careful attention to the initial doses to see if you are having an adverse reaction, and discuss with your doctor ASAP if so.  I would ask the doctor to start at a lower dose so you could titrate up if needed (it would be hard for you to start high and then lower the dose if that is required).  I would also explain your sensitized system.  I believe steroids bind to GABA receptors just like benzo's, so you need to be careful with not playing around with doses.

When I was having my inflammatory condition (also drug-induced), I panicked a lot and it was difficult to make rational decisions.  Try to remain as calm as you can, it can be done truly - practicing acceptance is key.  It was the only way I got through my situation and continues to do me good in my numerous setbacks.

I feel for you.  If I could help more, please feel free to pm me.

Best wishes.

It doesn't sound like you have much of a choice but to, at least, try the steroids. You have said that is the best treatment for your chronic, ongoing condition. I am sorry your CNS is so sensitized that you would have to even be worried about it but I don't blame you. I hope you are able to take the steroids and help your condition without a return or worsening of symptoms.

Keep us posted as to what you decide and your progress,

Hugs to you  :hug:

HM

Hello,  I appreciate your help so  much. I have a major concern, and would appreciate your replies. As I posted before, I was mostly recovered after 7.5 years Ct From ambien. I am now back into WD full blown after 21 days of antibiotics for pneumonia and UTI in June 2021.

I am now allergic to 4 antibiotics, which I must avoid: bactrim, penicillin, macrobid and I always  avoid all Cipro drugs. I have suffered with chronic UTIs over the past few years, which caused overuse of antibiotics, even though AB were only prescribed after a confirmed urine culture.

To avoiid getting another UTI, I am drinking only water, no caffeine, and cranberry juice. I was also prescribed an anti bacteria med, hippurate, which is suppose to prevent UTIs by making urine  have more acid. Anyway, my greatest fear is what do I do if I get another UTIs, where it is severe enough with the bladder spasms  and I Can’t ignore the pain.

What can I treat with for a confirmed UTI? I know it depends on the culture results but when I am now in WD due to antibiotics, what happens if I get another UTI, what should I do?

Thanks so very much for your insight,

Always, Cindy

Cindy.

I am not familiar with all the antibiotics available but it sounds like you are allergic to 4 of them. This seems like a question for your doctor. Only he/she can tell you of antibiotics you haven't tried. Hopefully, with the water and cranberry juice, you won't get another one. I wish I could be of more help.

Good luck with your situation and I hope you don't get another UTI,

HM

I was asked to stop by this group and report on my experience with antibiotics during my recovery from clonazepam (Klonopin). During the first couple years of my recovery I did have waves and setbacks after taking amoxicillin and some other antibiotics like ceftin and Augmentin (which is actually amoxicillin with clavulanic acid). But after a couple years I was able to take amoxicillin and Augmentin with no noticeable problems. So if you've had waves and setbacks from antibiotics, those problems may not be permanent.

I've also had problems with fluoroquinolones such as ciprofloxacin and ofloxacin, but those problems were not benzo-related. They were the same problems everyone may have with that class of antibiotics, tendon damage in particular; so I continue to avoid fluoroquinolones, and I warn everyone I know about them. I consider them dangerous and toxic, and I think patients have to call their doctors' attention to the FDA black-box warnings on the packaging for fluoroquinolones which state that they should not be used unless no other antibiotic will work, because the side effects are too serious; and in particular, they should not be prescribed for ordinary UTI's and sinus infections. It is just incredible how many doctors ignore the FDA warnings and continue to prescribe these drugs as first-line treatment rather than as a last resort.

Thank you so much for posting this Redevan! You're right. We can't trust our doctors on this one. We have to do our own research and be our own advocate before we put anything into our bodies.

Sending you wishes of amazing days !!

- Miss Fortitude

@redevan, thanks so much for this.  We don't have enough people in your/our situation coming back to update on any progress, so your post is so welcome! Wishing you continued healing.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys...I might hang out here for a bit..def in a setback. From Vaccine and a stupid antihistamine. This is god-awful.

Just wanna hang with ppl who understand right now. I was doing so well before this too which is devastating. you guys know what I mean.

Thanks. :smitten:

Trina,

I understand how you feel, but just to encourage you, please believe that this setback will not last long. My setback was just a few months, caused by an antibiotic, went back into Severe WD symptoms after being off for 7 years. you will be ok. DE Foster just completed a new podcast on setbacks. It may help you to listen to it.

Always, cindy