Has anyone had their benzodiazepine blood levels tested?

[fu...]

I feel like I've asked this a thousand times, but it's a topic I keep coming back to. I'm not on a high dose of benzo, but my blood levels seem very high. Last year I had my blood taken (was taking 6.4mg Valium at the time) and my benzo blood level came back with 1240 µg/L.

I'm a poor metabolizer of CYP2C19. Coincidentally I'm having a hell of a taper. Anyone else here who has their bloodwork done? I suspect the gene mutations might correlate with the horrors of the taper. :/

• 4 weeks later...
My dr now does a drug screen on his pets every three months before he will order a refill... new state law because of deaths from mixing opioids with benzos. It just says positive for benzos .

My dr now does a drug screen on his pets every three months before he will order a refill... new state law because of deaths from mixing opioids with benzos. It just says positive for benzos .

Why would he do a drug screen on his pets? Are pets mixing opioids with benzos now? You know, I thought something was wrong with my fish. They're so laid back lately.

Why would he do a drug screen on his pets? Are pets mixing opioids with benzos now? You know, I thought something was wrong with my fish. They're so laid back lately.

I just had to laugh when I read this one. I have a really “laid back” cat named Pepper. My husband I call her Peppers, Peps, Pepperkins, little Peps, and even Pepper.

She has moments of energy where she runs through the house, jumps from counter to counter in the kitchen, and jumps to the top of the refrigerator and just watches what’s going on. But overall, she likes to take naps in front of the gas fireplace, on top of beds, and on my lap also. And she makes sure she sleeps through the night on top of our bed.

She does get up earlier than I do, but I can’t imagine  any scenario where a doctor would take his pets for a drug screen.

She’s been to the vet, and we take her to the humane society for her shots, but so far, no drug screens on her.

That’s just super silly I think.

Didn't even know you could have it tested; or what the test would even mean.

This interests me though, because I recently started having withdrawals from klonopin despite the fact that I haven't cut in 4 or 5 years. (A long story in itself)

I am currently being treated for a blood condition which requires numerous plebotomies and was wondering if taking all this blood out of my system could possibly be the reason for the sudden wds. I also drink a lot of water to make the blood flow better; so thought this might also contribute to flushing the K out of my system. Sounds kind of logical to me; but of course can't get a straight answer from a doctor and when I google this kind of question the answers all assume you are trying to flush drugs to pass a drug test and so have nothing to do with what I want to know.

Any ideas? It seems that if there is a test for blood levels; it migt follow that taking blood out is also lowering those levels.

Thanks for any input.

Didn't even know you could have it tested; or what the test would even mean.

This interests me though, because I recently started having withdrawals from klonopin despite the fact that I haven't cut in 4 or 5 years. (A long story in itself)

I am currently being treated for a blood condition which requires numerous plebotomies and was wondering if taking all this blood out of my system could possibly be the reason for the sudden wds. I also drink a lot of water to make the blood flow better; so thought this might also contribute to flushing the K out of my system. Sounds kind of logical to me; but of course can't get a straight answer from a doctor and when I google this kind of question the answers all assume you are trying to flush drugs to pass a drug test and so have nothing to do with what I want to know.

Any ideas? It seems that if there is a test for blood levels; it migt follow that taking blood out is also lowering those levels.

Thanks for any input.

I think that benzos do show up in some blood testings. I worked for many years as a crisis counselor, and when someone was brought in (a 24/7 facility for a local agency) if a substance abuse issue was there(as in alcohol) we had a complete screen done and that included screening for benzos.

So it does seem logical to me that if you have a lot of blood drawn while still on clonazepam some of it could be withdrawn  and put you into withdrawl.

You could think of it like this: .5 mg of clonazepam =~10 mg of Valium (using Ashton equivalencies).

I do think that you’d feel withdrawl if you had a portion of 10 mg of Valium taken out of your blood with a lot of phlebotomies.

I just had to laugh when I read this one. I have a really “laid back” cat named Pepper. My husband I call her Peppers, Peps, Pepperkins, little Peps, and even Pepper.

She has moments of energy where she runs through the house, jumps from counter to counter in the kitchen, and jumps to the top of the refrigerator and just watches what’s going on. But overall, she likes to take naps in front of the gas fireplace, on top of beds, and on my lap also. And she makes sure she sleeps through the night on top of our bed.

She does get up earlier than I do, but I can’t imagine  any scenario where a doctor would take his pets for a drug screen.

She’s been to the vet, and we take her to the humane society for her shots, but so far, no drug screens on her.

Hilarious, Guys!  :laugh:

I'm sure Granny will correct me if I'm wrong and, sorry to spoil the fun :D, but I'm guessing she meant to type "pts", not "pets"!  I think, well, I hope.  ;D

"I think that benzos do show up in some blood testings. I worked for many years as a crisis counselor, and when someone was brought in (a 24/7 facility for a local agency) if a substance abuse issue was there(as in alcohol) we had a complete screen done and that included screening for benzos.

So it does seem logical to me that if you have a lot of blood drawn while still on clonazepam some of it could be withdrawn  and put you into withdrawl.

You could think of it like this: .5 mg of clonazepam =~10 mg of Valium (using Ashton equivalencies).

I do think that you’d feel withdrawl if you had a portion of 10 mg of Valium taken out of your blood with a lot of phlebotomies."

Thanks for the response Intend.

Sorry I probably am not doing this quote/reply thing right.

This is the first time I've gotten a real response addressing this possibility. Others have suggested I might be in tolerance (which might very well be the case).

Right now, however, I'm just treading water and putting up with the WDs while I decide what to do.  I realize that whichever is true, I will likely have to updose. But if the loss of blood theory is correct, I can probably get away with updosing once or twice to replace what is lost; while if I'm in tolerance it could mean an endless cycle of updosing.

I gave up cutting years ago because for some reason I also can't get a straight answer on, when I went on blood thinners, it became impossible to make even the smallest cut. Add to that the fact that I'm 67, I really don't feel like spending what time I have left in withdrawal; which is essentially what would happen if I try to cut again. That said, what would be the procedure to cut after tolerance? I imagine I'd have to updose to stabalize before restarting a taper.

Thanks again for your response.

"I think that benzos do show up in some blood testings. I worked for many years as a crisis counselor, and when someone was brought in (a 24/7 facility for a local agency) if a substance abuse issue was there(as in alcohol) we had a complete screen done and that included screening for benzos.

I do think that you’d feel withdrawl if you had a portion of 10 mg of Valium taken out of your blood with a lot of phlebotomies."

Thanks for the response Intend.

Sorry I probably am not doing this quote/reply thing right.

This is the first time I've gotten a real response addressing this possibility. Others have suggested I might be in tolerance (which might very well be the case).

Right now, however, I'm just treading water and putting up with the WDs while I decide what to do.  I realize that whichever is true, I will likely have to updose. But if the loss of blood theory is correct, I can probably get away with updosing once or twice to replace what is lost; while if I'm in tolerance it could mean an endless cycle of updosing.

I gave up cutting years ago because for some reason I also can't get a straight answer on, when I went on blood thinners, it became impossible to make even the smallest cut. Add to that the fact that I'm 67, I really don't feel like spending what time I have left in withdrawal; which is essentially what would happen if I try to cut again. That said, what would be the procedure to cut after tolerance? I imagine I'd have to updose to stabalize before restarting a taper.

Thanks again for your response.

copernicus,

The quote function is at the top of a reply on the right side. Just click on that, and then scroll down until you see the word “quote” in brackets, and that’s where you begin your response. Nevertheless,

Your quote of me was fine. Not everyone uses a quote the same way, and many just reply w/o quoting at all.

So, as to the rest of your response, it is a sad state of affairs you’re in with this “blood disorder.” And also I think the word “tolerance” is tossed around too much. Tolerance means you are tolerant to the amount of the drug you are taking. It’s the right amount at the time, and you feel ok on it.

Tolerance withdrawl is another thing. That is when you need more of the drug because your body just isn’t getting enough, so an updose would help that. And then there’s this relative w/d where no matter how much updosing you do, the drug just won’t work anymore. Now before I get “jumped on” by other more knowledgeable people than me, I’m no expert on any of this sort of thing because it’s never happened to me.

From my understanding, relative withdrawl is fairly rare. But Colin who owns this site understands this way better than I do, so anyone who wants to correct me, please do so.

copernicus, I’m not sure how you should handle this situation. I’d also dislike the idea of you getting caught in a round of constant updosing. The only thing that I could suggest is that you updose this one time, and try again to taper and get off the drug.

And there is the possibility that it’s the opposite of what fuerza asks about, and that is you are a FAST metabolizer of clonazepam.

Can we possibly get some others to correct/add to/ explains this to help copernicus? He would appreciate it and so would I.

copernicus, also talk to your doctors. Do it again if you’ve done it before. Ask the one who gave you the clonazepam and see what he/she thinks.

And there is the possibility that it’s the opposite of what fuerza asks about, and that is you are a FAST metabolizer of clonazepam.

copernicus, also talk to your doctors. Do it again if you’ve done it before. Ask the one who gave you the clonazepam and see what he/she thinks.

Thanks again for your reply and concern.

I keep putting off the updosing to see what happens. Actually, today I don't feel too bad, which as I'm sure you know, is meaningless; I have had good and bad days since this new thing started.

As I said, I haven't tapered in years. I stopped at .33 mg when the blood thinners seemed to make it impossible to make even the smallest cut. That should pretty much rule out the fast metabolizer theory, unless of course having to make new blood all the time might play a factor in metabolizing the drug.

I have been stable on that dose for four or five years. The only thing different I can think of is the constant phlebotomies over the past two years. I had suspicions right from the start, and thought I had some mild reactions to each phlebotomy which would come on about a week after and then fade away, but nothing as bad as now. I have felt a little off since the phlebotomies started, so I imagine if each one cut a little more drug from my system it could have added up to a larger deficit.

As for the doctor who originally prescribed the K, he has long since retired and I'm lucky my current GP was willing to keep prescribing it; though I know she is not benzo aware. Don't really want to rock that boat. Am considering bringing it up with the blood doctor; but his predecessor denied the phlebotomies could do that. Then again, he misdiagnosed my blood problem and then disappeared suddenly from his practice.

It would be nice if we didn't have to figure this crap out by ourselves all the time. :-\

Thanks again for all your help.

copernicus, i think that you should bring this up with the blood doctor.

Can that doctor think about this logically? After I read about polycythemia, I can understand why you need those constant blood draws and the blood thinners. I’m also reading that there are medications that reduce the excess production of those red blood cells.

It would be great for you to get off the clonazepam. I’d just speak with the blood doctor to see what he thinks. If you cut very, very slowly, I would think it is possible.

All I’m really saying is that you are on a very low dose, so if you space very small cuts of the clonazepam out over maybe the next year, you could get off.

Hey Guys..

There was a member some time ago, who was tapering pretty well until giving blood.. From memory, It took her a few weeks to get stable again.. Im not sure if there was a small rescue dose involved or not.. Sorry..

Sorry😁I meant patients.

I'm sure Granny will correct me if I'm wrong and, sorry to spoil the fun :D, but I'm guessing she meant to type "pts", not "pets"!  I think, well, I hope.  ;D

You didn't spoil anything...I was actually falling for it until I read your post. Thanks for clarifying abcd. I'm rooting for "pts".

Thanks again Intend.

Actually, I don't have polycythemia. The first doctor just proclaimed I had it without doing any tests. The new doctor did tests and determined I have a genetic tendency toward thick blood. Really doesn't matter; it's the same treatment - phlebotomies.

I am NOT trying to get off klonopin. I gave that up years ago and have maintained the .33 dose since then. For some reason no one can explain, since on blood thinners I can't make even the slightest cut (I'm talking 1/60th of 1%). the last time I tried to cut I spent over a year trying to get from .33 to .32 and failed. Before blood thinners I went from 1 mg to .25 in less than a year. At that point I had my first blood clot and was on a blood thinner for 6 months. At that time, I cut from .25 to .19, at which point all hell broke loose. Since I was working at the time, I updosed to .5 and worked my way down to .33 where I was stopped dead when put on blood thinners again.

At this point I am only trying to figure out why I'm all of a sudden having WDs without cutting, and what would be the best way to stabalize.

You didn't spoil anything...I was actually falling for it until I read your post. Thanks for clarifying abcd. I'm rooting for "pts".

There is no doubt in my mind that granny woman clarified that she meant “patients” and not “pets.”

“pts” is very often used as an abbreviation for “patients.”

And yes, I thought she had originally meant pets also, and it was rather funny as I spoke about my cat. So now that we had some “fun,” is anyone going to address fuerzas question about being a poor metabolizer of Valium due to an enzyme problem and a genetic connection.

And while we contemplate that, copernicus has also asked questions about a link between trying to get off clonazepam and having a very serious disease. Polycythemia is not funny or a joke of any kind. Maybe someone here will read up on it like I did.

This is way beyond a joke now folks. People on BB have other serious conditions and also are taking benzos and trying to get off of them. I should know because I have one of the most rare disorders in the entire world. I’ve posted about it before and generally don’t mention it anymore, but here I will one more time. It’s called idiopathic subglottic stenosis, and tapering off clonazepam has been a literal HELL for me.

So has anyone got any ideas that could help copernicus?

Hey Guys..

There was a member some time ago, who was tapering pretty well until giving blood.. From memory, It took her a few weeks to get stable again.. Im not sure if there was a small rescue dose involved or not.. Sorry..

Thanks Cantfly!

Am slowly gathering evidence that my theory about phlebotomies reducing the K in my system may have some validity. Seems to make sense to me; but of course, the one doctor I asked denied it.

Thanks for the input.

Thanks again Intend.

Actually, I don't have polycythemia. The first doctor just proclaimed I had it without doing any tests. The new doctor did tests and determined I have a genetic tendency toward thick blood. Really doesn't matter; it's the same treatment - phlebotomies.

I am NOT trying to get off klonopin. I gave that up years ago and have maintained the .33 dose since then. For some reason no one can explain, since on blood thinners I can't make even the slightest cut (I'm talking 1/60th of 1%). the last time I tried to cut I spent over a year trying to get from .33 to .32 and failed. Before blood thinners I went from 1 mg to .25 in less than a year. At that point I had my first blood clot and was on a blood thinner for 6 months. At that time, I cut from .25 to .19, at which point all hell broke loose. Since I was working at the time, I updosed to .5 and worked my way down to .33 where I was stopped dead when put on blood thinners again.

At this point I am only trying to figure out why I'm all of a sudden having WDs without cutting, and what would be the best way to stabalize.

copernicus,

So basically you’re not stable because you feel w/d on a constant basis.

And if I’m reading what you’re saying correctly, you’re wondering why you’re having those w/d effects while not tapering anymore.

I’m not a doctor, but once again, I think if you have the blood draws (phlebotomies) on any regular basis and/or take blood thinners, you are thinning out the concentration of those red blood cells.

And since the clonazepam is also in your blood, the concentration of the clonazepam becomes less concentrated also, and that is the reason for feeling the w/d effect. Remember that benzos cross the blood brain barrier and affect your central nervous system in its entirety.

I’d want off the clonazepam myself, but that’s an individual decision. If you’re not currently getting those blood draws or taking those blood thinners, you could updose to stabilize although once again, updosing doesn’t always work for everyone to stabilize and get rid of the w/d effect.

But it does sound like you’re taking blood thinners. Once again, I’d discuss this problem with your blood doctor. Surely he/she must have encountered a problem like this before. When one thinks about this, blood thinners could affect the concentration in the blood of any medication that someone takes that does or does not cross the blood brain barrier. Let’s just say metformin for type 2 diabetes, losartan for high blood pressure for example.

Once again, thanks for all your help and concern Intend.

Hopefully, a one-time updose here and there; especially after a phlebotomy, would suffice.

But as you said, even this doesn't always work. When I crashed after going from .25 to .19 I had to go all the way up to .5 to stabalize. The first thing I tried was going back up to the .25, the last dose I was stable at, but that had zero effect. Though I did have to work, and had no time to experiment (I'd already gone about 5 weeks hoping it would simmer down) so maybe it would have worked after a while had i had the time to test it out.

Hey Guys..

Thanks Cantfly!

Am slowly gathering evidence that my theory about phlebotomies reducing the K in my system may have some validity. Seems to make sense to me; but of course, the one doctor I asked denied it.

Thanks for the input.

Do you feel comfortable enough to ask on Edzo's Buddy Blog, as Im pretty sure it was discussed there... Or at least someone might remember Who or What..??

Copernicus, how much blood do they take when you go for your bloodletting?

They try to get a bag which I think is a pint. It's so hard getting a good vein on me though, I'm lucky if they get a half or three quarters. Sometimes I have to go back the following week to get the rest.

So copernicus,

How often do they do the blood draws?

I just read that the average adult has between 9 and 12 pints of blood in the human body. I don’t know how big you are, but if this is done very often, it would seem that you could easily be drained of your blood.

I also read that it’s takes 24 hours to replace a pint of plasma, but eight weeks to replace a pint of  red blood cells.

Maybe post on Edzos buddie blog as cant suggested. It’s a place to start about your concerns with feeling constant w/d effects.