Should I switch from Xanax to Klonopin?

[kh...]

Looking for advice on whether to make the switch and how to do it. I have been tapering Xanax since August. Came down too fast from .75 - 1.25 mg per day total (always one dose of .75 at bedtime, and frequently but not every day a second dose of .25 - .5 mg around 4 am) and had horrible withdrawals until I realized I needed to go slower. Last change was 6 weeks ago from .625 mg to .562 mg and I've been sort of stable but with 1) withdrawal flares lasting 4 - 5 days, about every two weeks, with bad anxiety and feeling very depressed and ill; and 2) waking every morning around 4 - 5 am with anxiety, nausea, sweating, restlessness, and chills. I want to switch to a longer acting benzo to see if that will get rid of the intra-dose morning withdrawal, and my doc is ok with it. But he is opposed to Valium and suggested Klonopin instead. He says Klonopin is twice as strong as Xanax and takes a few days to kick in, but was a little vague about how to make the switch. Just said to lower the dose of Xanax as I start the Klonopin and do it over several days. He says my target dose of Klonopin is .25 mg or at most .375. So last night I took only .5 of Xanax and added .125 of Klonopin. I feel sort of ok this morning, with some of my morning symptoms reduced but with lots of anxiety. So my questions are:

1. Should I have started the switch? Or should I find a doc who will do Valium instead?

2. My plan is to go off the Xanax in .0625 increments (1/4 of a .25 tablet) every day, adding 1/4 of a .5 Klonopin every fourth day until I'm at .375 of Klonopin and off the Xanax. Does this sound all right? Should I go slower? Is there a better way/timetable?

3. I'm confused about dosage equivalency. Some charts suggest I will need .5 Klonopin or more. Any information about that will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for reading my rather long post and for any advice.

Klonopin to Xanax is 1 to 1 Lots of younger doctors seem to be going with a Klonopin crossover from Xanax I certain percentage of people do not do well with Valium It could be argued that larger percentage of people withdrawing with Klonopin will have interdose issues than those who tolerate Valium will have All a role of the dice

The speed of your withdrawal so far is reasonable so your crossover could be manageable A good deal of advice suggests an extra 5 mg Valium at crossover in addition to the 15 to 1 ratio

We are not really supposed to give advice but it might simpler to to go along with your doctor From what I understand you can generally try Valium later if K does not work out That being said it is often hard to know how much discomfort is acceptable in a crossover before deciding you need to do something else