What comforts you?

[mo...]

What comforts me is music -- right now New Age and Jazz.  Also journaling and writing poetry. And also sex with my husband. Would love to know what you do. Perhaps I could add that to my coping. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

What comforts me is cooking warm food and enjoying it with my family on winter nights.

ginger127,

I appreciate your response. Sorry it's taken me so long to comment. My memory is badly affected these days and I forget things from one week to the next (sometimes from one day to the next). I also find comfort in food. Unfortunately most of my comfort food is not particularly good for me so I maintain a discipline about what I eat and sometimes it's downright boring. But I need to feel in control of something about myself since my mind certainly has a mind of its own.

ginger127,

I appreciate your response. Sorry it's taken me so long to comment. My memory is badly affected these days and I forget things from one week to the next (sometimes from one day to the next). I also find comfort in food. Unfortunately most of my comfort food is not particularly good for me so I maintain a discipline about what I eat and sometimes it's downright boring. But I need to feel in control of something about myself since my mind certainly has a mind of its own.

No worries mowgli, thanks for the update, I completely understand. Besides home-made food, I also find comfort in meditating, practicing acceptance, and positive self-talk.

Hot tea and soft blankets.  I've become much pickier about the texture of my blankets.  I love so many herbal teas, especially lemon and ginger.  I also enjoy Earl Grey in the daytime.  I also have decaffeinated green tea, which Bob7 recommended.  There's something in the green tea that's very calming.

• 2 weeks later...
Praying to the Lord, Speaking His WORDS over myself and my sxs when I'm having the worst sxs.  Listening to Scripture and praying when I am awake at night.  CBT (cognitive behavioral Therapy) breathing to calm my body.  Mindfulness, (thinking of good memories, good things, positive things while I breathe and pray and gratitude to the LORD)  Sooner or later my body calms down and relaxes even during the worst sxs.  And yes, music, classical and Spiritual is good too.  Knowing I have a good, loving husband and good home is also assuring.

Things that comfort me include good music (but not as loud as usual), praying and reading scripture, etc., warm blankets and t.v., reading, snuggling with my cats, my husband, exercising, lunch and trips with friends and my mom, decaf green tea.

Things that comfort me ... My family, my cat, Knitting, a hot water bottle when I'm cold and sometimes a soft blanket. Also knowing that I'm getting off benzos!

Me too. My adorable cat Bear is an enormous comfort to me. He chose me and he was so right! Good food, shopping at thrift shops, looking pretty as a 68 year old can. Knowing I got through a truly awful WD is inspiring to me and I am proud of this. Very.

• 4 weeks later...

GreenCup

Welchie

Salalberry2

Blossom4

Hopeforrecovery

RxDamaged

ReeseCup

NoMorePills

eastcoast62

amuseum

Thank you all for your helpful responses. I've been dealt a new blow. Just lost my sister. How to keep coping?

mowgli - keep going.  Keep doing what you need to do to heal yourself.  Allow the feelings - drug free.  My stepdaughter was recently diagnosed with bone cancer.  I know how difficult it can be to have something big thrown at you on days where just eating and showering are a challenge.

Don't want to offend with my own beliefs...but know your sister is in very very good hands and would want you to continue to find your own peace.

Much love and compassion, mowgli.

[be...]
Mowgli- hang in there pal!!! In this times we are often far stronger than we give ourselves credit for. I am keeping you in my thoughts today. My deepest condolences.