New, trying to wean off Klonopin

[El...]

Nurse Practioner prescribed Klonopin several months ago for anxiety/ panic attacks. 1mg. In AM, 1 in PM, so 2mg. Per day. It helped at first, but then it made me sad and didn’t do much for the generalized anxiety. I’m tapering, under med. supervision, and feel awful. I’m now taking .5mg in am, and 1 mg. at bedtime. I was given no real taper schedule and feel it was left up to me. I was going to decrease my dose by .5mg per week and now wonder if this isn’t too fast. I had been taking Wellbutrin 300mg per day, 150 of Zoloft per day for 25 years. Currently on 150mg. Wellbutrin per day, 200mg. Zoloft per day and they added Buspar 1 week ago. I need opinion on a taper schedule. Feel terrible.  Just started the taper about 5 days ago. Thanks, Elizabeth

zDFSObb.png

Hello Elizabeth64!

We are very glad that you found us! Yes, this rate of .5mg cut would be considered fast for a long term user. Short term users can some times taper at the rate proposed. We recommend a taper rate of 5 - 10% every 10 - 14 days  :thumbsup:

I am sorry you are having issues with Clonazapam. I would like to suggest that you do some research on the various boards. Becoming well informed should better enable you to make difficult decisions as well as provide you with the tools you need for a successful taper & recovery.  You will find many knowledgeable members who will support your efforts to be benzo free. I have enclosed a few links below that may help you. Check them out!

Wishing you a smooth taper & speedy recovery!

Bella  :smitten:

Please take the time to tell us about your history:

For a direct link:

CLICK HERE --->

Create a Signature <--- CLICK HERE 

OR

For a Visual Tutorial:

CLICK HERE --->

Create a Signature <--- CLICK HERE

Links:

Professor Heather Ashton's Manual

Taper Info:

Suggested reduction rate is 5% - 10% every 10 - 14 days 

Create Your Own Taper Plan  by Jim Hawk 

You-Tube step-by-step  Tutorial Video

Other Tutorials:

I feel that your symptoms should dictate the rate of your taper.  I was a short term user of Ativan and felt that I could taper quickly off, I was wrong however.  My general practitioner told me to cut a quarter of my entire dose per week which I knew was crazy.  A much less aggressive dry cutting taper than my doctor prescribed also led to horrible symptoms, leading me to DLMT (daily liquid micro-taper).  Over the course of the liquid taper my symptoms have largely vanished and I am generally able to forget I am tapering at all.  It will take more time to complete but I feel it has been worth the extra time to taper nearly symptom free.