Does your Benzo belly hurt?

[To...]

Looking to see if anyone else is experiencing crippling pain from their Benzo belly. I’ve tried a ton of suggestions over the last 5 weeks and nothing has worked. I’ve has Benzo belly from the beginning but not the pain which started 5 weeks ago. I did go to the ER s found nothing. I don’t want a colonoscopy so I’m trying to avoid that at all ends. If this is WD it’s horrible but so be it, yet I’m thinking there has to be more.

Yep, hurts on occassion. This has been a struggle for months. Had an abdominal ct, nothing. Overfill feeling, bloated distended. Ironically fairly normal bowel movements in the am but starts to be uncomfortable immediately after eating. I’m gonna see the gi doc one more time look for sibo, candida etc. I don’t expect they’ll find anything, it feels like lingering tension. If they do find something, I’ll post it.

Thanks Bernerd,

Just gets very scary/frustrating when we don’t know whether it’s WD or something else. I had a CT scan as well and nothing. I’m actually taking a couple supplements for candida and SIBO just on my own in hopes for some relief. I had Benzo belly all the way through but not this intense pain and constipation type symptoms. I’ll go to the bathroom and pain is the same, it’s crazy. At times I’m just keeled over in pain yet the ER visit found nothing.

I get abdominal pain along with bloating and hardness. I eat well, and don’t really no what I can do. I’ve tried probiotics, digestive enzymes to see if that helped and not much, the problem remains.

My gastro introduced me to IBS Guard - which is peppermint nodules in a capsule. Paralyzes the intestines to prevent them from spasming and it has improved my gut pain immensely.

I've also been taking a fair bit of Vitamin C to loosen things up.

Phenix,

Thanks for the reply, I actually purchased IBGuard. It seemed to have worked at first then not so much. How long have you taken it?

About a month now. I started at a single pill and have remained there. It takes the edge off and keeps the waves tolerable.

GIven that one of the nasty things about benzo recovery is that your symptoms will change, you may need to switch to something else for a bit.

This benzo belly stuff was one of the worst of my symptoms.  My naturalpath explained to me that withdrawal causes leaky gut.  My GI doc advised avoiding ALL packaged foods and only eating grass fed meats, fish or fresh or lightly steamed veges and fruits.  Gluten is in ALL canned and packaged food items now.  That was the turning point for me, when I went on an extremely strict diet.  And yes my stomach would hurt so bad that I would sit in the tub for an hour.  That really did help at times.  Just really watch what you eat.  A couple times it would hurt so bad I would vomit.  It all went away, however, I still don't eat packaged foods.  I simply stopped having any more tests done regarding my benzo belly.  I had 1 ultrasound and then she wanted to do a colonoscopy etc. I didnt go back though. Why do all that when they know that food is causing it anyway.  I had sooooo many other problems that I realized it was all withdrawal related.  It goes away.  Hang in there!

Also, I forgot to mention I took 1000 mg of Magnesium a couple times a day with lots of water to get things to pass. I would take even more if things didn't resolve. That was pretty effective for me.  I know drinking lots of water is the last thing your belly wants when you are aching like that, but it will help loosen things up.