Benzo free after 44 years

[st...]

Thank you for coming back and giving us long term users some hope. Congratulations and all the best to you as you go forward!

Hate to bug you with questions but .....Did you ever have any psychological or mental symptoms like the fear/terror that so many of us here are experiencing?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [st...]

• [Ma...]

• [La...]

• [Ro...]

Thank you for coming back and giving us long term users some hope. Congratulations and all the best to you as you go forward!

Hate to bug you with questions but .....Did you ever have any psychological or mental symptoms like the fear/terror that so many of us here are experiencing?

Hi offandon,

I certainly had psychological symptoms, which I would characterize as extreme emotions. During the initial stages of my taper, I didn't know what was happening to me, and that was frightening.

I actually still have extreme emotions. Like nowadays when I see someone in pain or despair, I may begin to cry, even sob.

It's kinda strange, but I just let myself.

I'm sorry I could not be of more help.

As was a common expression for me and some during my taper

Hugs for Healing...

Best,

Steve

Hi offandon,

I certainly had psychological symptoms, which I would characterize as extreme emotions. During the initial stages of my taper, I didn't know what was happening to me, and that was frightening.

I actually still have extreme emotions. Like nowadays when I see someone in pain or despair, I may begin to cry, even sob.

It's kinda strange, but I just let myself.

I'm sorry I could not be of more help.

As was a common expression for me and some during my taper

Hugs for Healing...

Best,

Steve

Thank you and just so many congrats and best wishes to you ...such a huge accomplishment  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you warmly for coming back to share your success with us, Steve.  Huge congratulations!!  It’s so encouraging to hear that healing happens even after long term use.  I was on Klonopin for 24 years and completed cross over to Valium on November 1st, 2018.  My taper rate is the same as yours was!  .04mg/day.  Your plog was helpful to see; so great seeing the dose amounts decline until you reached zero.  Oh how I long for that day!  My goal is Feb 2020.  Best wishes to you and all the joy in life!

Love,

Uni

Thank you warmly for coming back to share your success with us, Steve.  Huge congratulations!!  It’s so encouraging to hear that healing happens even after long term use.  I was on Klonopin for 24 years and completed cross over to Valium on November 1st, 2018.  My taper rate is the same as yours was!  .04mg/day.  Your plog was helpful to see; so great seeing the dose amounts decline until you reached zero.  Oh how I long for that day!  My goal is Feb 2020.  Best wishes to you and all the joy in life!

Love,

Uni

Love to see you Uni....Mary 🦄

Love,

Uni

Thank you Uni!

Your post just reminded me of my log, which I just re-viewed.

I remember looking at it just after I had reached zero. In amazement.

4 hundredths of milligram at a time!

Before you know it you'll be there too, looking over yours in amazement as well!

I got amazing support here.

See you on this side in a while!

Love back,

Steve

Wonderful story thanks so much. If you have time for a few brief questions. How many times did you try to stop. Do you have an opinion on kindling. What was the circumstance that led to your final decision. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Stevesny,

Congrats and what an accomplishment to come off after 44 yrs and reclaim your life.  I think I would be REALLY scared to come off after that long.  Kudos to you.  If you can answer a question,  what do you think is the biggest thing you've gained from giving up Benzos that you didn't realize then but realize now? Thanks.

Wonderful story thanks so much. If you have time for a few brief questions. How many times did you try to stop. Do you have an opinion on kindling. What was the circumstance that led to your final decision. Thanks

Hey Needsomehelp,

This was the only time I tried to stop, and as far as kindling, I only know what I've read and, near the end of my taper, when I briefly reinstated, was afraid.

In December of 2013, I had gotten into tolerance withdrawal, a term I had never heard of till someone here referred to my circumstances as that.

All of a sudden, Valium stopped working, and I began getting 2-3 hours of sleep ongoing, and I began the very dangerous practice of washing it down with vodka.  Stupidly I did not know how dangerous that was, till a psychiatrist I began seeing to help me taper told me of Thomas Kincaid, and I never did it again.

I didn't feel I had a real choice. It was either stop or try and increase beyond 20mg / day, and that seemed unrealistic, for at some point, no doctor would keep increasing my dose, and I'd be in even a worse spot.

I hope this helps. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I didn't see your reply.

All the very best,

Steve

Hello Steve!

I can see that we both continue to be on track!!!

I remind you that I was as you are, a long time dependent (40 years!) of benzo, and we jumped approximately at the same time...

I can say that I've had and still have some mild symptoms, which I expected, but nothing worse than the previous ones.

I am happy (and proud of myself) because of my accomplishment, which I never thought I could do it...it seemeed impossible for me! That's why I last so long to start to taper...

Now it's strange to sleep without any "help".

My sleeping is deeper, with very strange and vivid dreams...And they can last 7/8 hours!!

I hope very much that all the buddies reading this, know that there is a way out...

Hello Steve!

I can see that we both continue to be on track!!!

I remind you that I was as you are, a long time dependent (40 years!) of benzo, and we jumped approximately at the same time...

I can say that I've had and still have some mild symptoms, which I expected, but nothing worse than the previous ones.

I am happy (and proud of myself) because of my accomplishment, which I never thought I could do it...it seemeed impossible for me! That's why I last so long to start to taper...

Now it's strange to sleep without any "help".

My sleeping is deeper, with very strange and vivid dreams...And they can last 7/8 hours!!

I hope very much that all the buddies reading this, know that there is a way out...

Thank you Rodolfo, hope for all of us.  Mary ☮️💜🙏☮️💜🙏

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, after 44 years of Valium dependency, I finished an ~ 1.5 year taper in October 2015.  I finally decided it was time to post this. Save occasional intermittent tinnitus, I'm totally fine. Have been for some time. No other withdrawal symptoms.

Some anxiety for which the Valium was initially prescribed seems to have returned. I began CBT therapy for that in August of 2017, and am doing well. Not sure why I waited so long to make this post, maybe I just wanted to feel pretty good overall or maybe I wanted to wait till tinnitus was nearly non-existent. From a strictly withdrawal-symptoms perspective, I could have posted a while ago. 

I hope this post serves as encouragement that, even after a long time on benzos, you can be totally free. But please, do not ever try to rush it. Take as long as you need; time is on your side.

I am eternally grateful to Benzobuddies, and the taper-mates I had along the way. I have just re-read some of the posts from early on. Amazing camaraderie and love. I wouldn't have made it without you.

Love,

Steve

Your post is encouraging.  Did you take anything else while tapering... like something to help with sleep?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Raquel,

Yes,  did. The psychiatrist I sought out for help prescribed gabapentin and Trazodone.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I just saw this.

All the best for your healing,

Steve

Hey, just want to stop by and say a huge congratulations to you.. i was on them for over 8.5 years.. you must be so excited to be off of them now.. great work at taking your life back!

Eric

Hey AntiBenzo7,

Thank you so much! Just prior to my taper, I was on 20mg, which had basically stopped working, and I was engaging in what I now know was a deadly practice: washing it down with alcohol.

I was initially prescribed it for anxiety, and took it primarily (or solely, don't remember) for insomnia.

Hope this helps, and I wish for you the very best,

Steve

• 1 month later...

Hey Steve,

I remember you and Katz from when I was tapering.  Those were the days!  I am so happy for you.  Congratulations!

I'm close to 100%.  I'll be writing my story soon.

Hey Steve,

I remember you and Katz from when I was tapering.  Those were the days!  I am so happy for you.  Congratulations!

Great Arcade, we love success stories, congratulations for how far you've come !!  Mary ♥️

Hey Steve,

Hey Arcade!

I remember you too!

I'll send you a pm!

Steve

Thank you stevesny for coming back to give us all hope. I was a long term user, but not as long as you.  In all honesty, I sometimes think this is IT with the healing process. After reading your success story and subsequent posts maybe I really will get better.  Most of all congratulations for your much deserved success!