Author Topic: Benzo free after 44 years  (Read 6084 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Benzo free after 44 years
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2019, 08:08:07 pm »
Thank you warmly for coming back to share your success with us, [...].  Huge congratulations!!  Itís so encouraging to hear that healing happens even after long term use.  I was on Klonopin for 24 years and completed cross over to Valium on November 1st, 2018.  My taper rate is the same as yours was!  .04mg/day.  Your plog was helpful to see; so great seeing the dose amounts decline until you reached zero.  Oh how I long for that day!  My goal is Feb 2020.  Best wishes to you and all the joy in life!

Love,

[...]

Love to see you [...]....[...] 🦄
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2019, 09:21:52 am »
Thank you warmly for coming back to share your success with us, [...].  Huge congratulations!!  Itís so encouraging to hear that healing happens even after long term use.  I was on Klonopin for 24 years and completed cross over to Valium on November 1st, 2018.  My taper rate is the same as yours was!  .04mg/day.  Your plog was helpful to see; so great seeing the dose amounts decline until you reached zero.  Oh how I long for that day!  My goal is Feb 2020.  Best wishes to you and all the joy in life!

Love,

[...]
Thank you [...]!

Your post just reminded me of my log, which I just re-viewed.

I remember looking at it just after I had reached zero. In amazement.

4 hundredths of milligram at a time!

Before you know it you'll be there too, looking over yours in amazement as well!

I got amazing support here.

See you on this side in a while!

Love back,

[...]

Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2019, 08:05:54 pm »
Wonderful story thanks so much. If you have time for a few brief questions. How many times did you try to stop. Do you have an opinion on kindling. What was the circumstance that led to your final decision. Thanks

[Buddie]

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2019, 01:43:21 pm »
[...],
Congrats and what an accomplishment to come off after 44 yrs and reclaim your life.  I think I would be REALLY scared to come off after that long.  Kudos to you.  If you can answer a question,  what do you think is the biggest thing you've gained from giving up Benzos that you didn't realize then but realize now? Thanks.

[Buddie]

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2019, 10:08:21 am »
Wonderful story thanks so much. If you have time for a few brief questions. How many times did you try to stop. Do you have an opinion on kindling. What was the circumstance that led to your final decision. Thanks
Hey [...],

This was the only time I tried to stop, and as far as kindling, I only know what I've read and, near the end of my taper, when I briefly reinstated, was afraid.

In December of 2013, I had gotten into tolerance withdrawal, a term I had never heard of till someone here referred to my circumstances as that.

All of a sudden, Valium stopped working, and I began getting 2-3 hours of sleep ongoing, and I began the very dangerous practice of washing it down with vodka.  Stupidly I did not know how dangerous that was, till a psychiatrist I began seeing to help me taper told me of Thomas Kincaid, and I never did it again.

I didn't feel I had a real choice. It was either stop or try and increase beyond 20mg / day, and that seemed unrealistic, for at some point, no doctor would keep increasing my dose, and I'd be in even a worse spot.

I [...] this helps. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I didn't see your reply.

All the very best,

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2019, 02:59:36 pm »
Hello [...]!
I can see that we both continue to be on track!!!
I remind you that I was as you are, a long time dependent (40 years!) of benzo, and we jumped approximately at the same time...

I can say that I've had and still have some mild symptoms, which I expected, but nothing worse than the previous ones.

I am happy (and proud of myself) because of my accomplishment, which I never thought I could do it...it seemeed impossible for me! That's why I last so long to start to taper...

Now it's strange to sleep without any "help".
My sleeping is deeper, with very strange and vivid dreams...And they can last 7/8 hours!!

I [...] very much that all the buddies reading this, know that there is a way out...

[Buddie]

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2019, 03:04:01 pm »
Hello [...]!
I can see that we both continue to be on track!!!
I remind you that I was as you are, a long time dependent (40 years!) of benzo, and we jumped approximately at the same time...

I can say that I've had and still have some mild symptoms, which I expected, but nothing worse than the previous ones.

I am happy (and proud of myself) because of my accomplishment, which I never thought I could do it...it seemeed impossible for me! That's why I last so long to start to taper...

Now it's strange to sleep without any "help".
My sleeping is deeper, with very strange and vivid dreams...And they can last 7/8 hours!!

I [...] very much that all the buddies reading this, know that there is a way out...

Thank you Rodolfo, [...] for all of us.  [...] ☮️💜🙏☮️💜🙏

[Buddie]

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2019, 08:01:38 am »
bump

[Buddie]

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2019, 12:56:05 pm »
So, after 44 years of Valium dependency, I finished an ~ 1.5 year taper in October 2015.  I finally decided it was time to post this. Save occasional intermittent tinnitus, I'm totally fine. Have been for some time. No other withdrawal symptoms.

Some anxiety for which the Valium was initially prescribed seems to have returned. I began CBT therapy for that in August of 2017, and am doing well. Not sure why I waited so long to make this post, maybe I just wanted to feel pretty good overall or maybe I wanted to wait till tinnitus was nearly non-existent. From a strictly withdrawal-symptoms perspective, I could have posted a while ago. 

I [...] this post serves as encouragement that, even after a long time on benzos, you can be totally free. But please, do not ever try to rush it. Take as long as you need; time is on your side.

I am eternally grateful to Benzobuddies, and the taper-mates I had along the way. I have just re-read some of the posts from early on. Amazing camaraderie and love. I wouldn't have made it without you.

Love,

[...]

Your post is encouraging.  Did you take anything else while tapering... like something to help with sleep?

[Buddie]

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2019, 07:35:22 am »
Hi [...],

Yes,  did. The psychiatrist I sought out for help prescribed gabapentin and Trazodone.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I just saw this.

All the best for your healing,

[...]